MacPhail and Markakis

JTrea81

If Markakis isn't extended, is that the final straw?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. If Markakis isn't extended, is that the final straw?

• Yes, MacPhail needs to go if he can't extend Nick.
    • No, Markakis probably wanted too much money and he can be traded for a ransom.
    • I've already lost complete confidence in MacPhail.

Frobby's post in the other thread about Markakis being a litmus test is a good point. For many Tex was the straw that broke the camel's back with the Orioles and MacPhail, but there is some doubt that Tex would have chosen the Orioles if they had offered more.

So that brings us to Markakis and his extension. If MacPhail can't extend Markakis this offseason, will that be the final straw for you?

Keep in mind there are reports that the two parties are only $10 million apart.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frobby's post in the other thread about Markakis being a litmus test is a good point. For many Tex was the straw that broke the camel's back with the Orioles and MacPhail, but there is some doubt that Tex would have chosen the Orioles if they had offered more.

So that brings us to Markakis and his extension. If MacPhail can't extend Markakis this offseason, will that be the final straw for you?

Keep in mind there are reports that the two parties are only $10 million apart.

(poll coming)

Not this offseason, but if he fails to extend Markakis sometime in the next year, I'll be furious.

That said, at $10m apart, there's simply no way they don't come to an agreement.

Still clinging to your "low-ball" theory?

Remember how MacPhail managed to trade for several great players last year with one player? One player who busted? Just because he wasn't willing to go to 200 mil for Tex doesn't mean he doesn't want to win, or doesn't have what it takes. To me, we're forgetting how hard it is to find a really good official, and some of us seem to have memory loss about The Great One's inability to find said official.

It's not McPhail I've lost faith in, it's the organizational structure as a whole. If there were orders from the top to sign such and such, anyone would make it happen, that is their job on the line. If it was more of a "make it known you are in the bidding but don't do anything stupid" then that is an entirely different problem. 11 seasons of losing and raising ticket prices and $7 beers is a horrible idea that comes from above the GM.

Sell to Cal, Sell to Cal, Sell to Cal...would be the chant I'd start if I were actually going to spend money to go to a game this year.

Not this offseason, but if he fails to extend Markakis sometime in the next year, I'll be furious.

That said, at $10m apart, there's simply no way they don't come to an agreement.

The Tex saga is over now, and what is done is done. Now as for Markakis, if the Orioles can't extend him when he's offering a more than generous proposal of 6/70, MacPhail has no business running this franchise although I already think he's not the right man to lead us back into contention in this division...

The Tex saga is over now, and what is done is done. Now as for Markakis, if the Orioles can't extend him when he's offering a more than generous proposal of 6/70, MacPhail has no buisness running this franchise although I already think he's not the right man to lead us back into contention...

I don't think it is him though, I think a certain someone instead of saying "whatever you think is right for the team" to McPhail is saying why are we doing this and can't we do this? We need a non-lawyer to own the team or at least one that isn't so controlling.

The Tex saga is over now, and what is done is done. Now as for Markakis, if the Orioles can't extend him when he's offering a more than generous proposal of 6/70, MacPhail has no business running this franchise although I already think he's not the right man to lead us back into contention in this division...

Do you feel dizzy a lot?

You claimed the O's low-balled Markakis with a 6/60 offer. Do you still think they low-balled him?

Why do you bring this up if it has nothing to do with the topic at hand?

How about the option: "I am not going to judge MacPhail based on one player." That is the one I would choose.

How about the option: "I am not going to judge MacPhail based on one player." That is the one I would choose.

I'm talking about Markakis. I can't be helped if JT's brain is entangled in Teixeira. He claimed the O's low-balled Markakis. I'm just curious if he still thinks so.

As my post a full 8 minutes before yours made more clear.

Why would I bring up Teixeira in this thread? Why would you assume that I did?

You claimed the O's low-balled Markakis with a 6/60 offer. Do you still think they low-balled him?

Thought you were talking about Tex there. Yes if 6/70 is all Markakis wants, I give it to him especially after lowballing him twice before that. No need to go in with a 6/60 offer. Just give him the 6/70 and get it done. 1.67 million per season is not going to break this team, or at least it shouldn't with MASN money and revenue sharing. Markakis is not a player you want to cheap out on...

See above first sentence...

Archived