83-79

Ripken

The O's were basically a couple of bad series against the Tigers and A's away from the playoff.  I feel like the O's were worn down at the end of the season more than anything.  The will to win was still there, but there was no energy reserve left.  Here's to a great offseason (counting on Elias and Angelos) and an even better 2023. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's were basically a couple of bad series against the Tigers and A's away from the playoff.  I feel like the O's were worn down at the end of the season more than anything.  The will to win was still there, but there was no energy reserve left.  Here's to a great offseason (counting on Elias and Angelos) and an even better 2023. 

I don't think it was about being worn down. They overachieved and didn't have a playoff caliber roster. Put 2 more reliable starters in the rotation and replace a few hitters with one to two 800+ OPS players, and this team is dancing. 

2 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I don't think it was about being worn down. They overachieved and didn't have a playoff caliber roster. Put 2 more reliable starters in the rotation and replace a few hitters with one to two 800+ OPS players, and this team is dancing. 

A lot of improvement can come from better bench players too.  When you're bench was Biemboom, Owings, and McKenna to start the year, improvement isn't hard to find. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

A lot of improvement can come from better bench players too.  When you're bench was Biemboom, Owings, and McKenna to start the year, improvement isn't hard to find. 

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure that we may have seen the last of players who don't produce. McKenna, Odor, Nevin.

Even Hays, Vavra and Mountcastle need to be working their arses off this offseason. 

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure that we may have seen the last of players who don't produce. McKenna, Odor, Nevin.

Even Hays, Vavra and Mountcastle need to be working their arses off this offseason. 

Yeah Mateo too.  They should all be figuring out what hitting academy they plan to spend a large part of the offseason at.

19 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yeah Mateo too.  They should all be figuring out what hitting academy they plan to spend a large part of the offseason at.

I actually think Mateo is in a different category. He is (likely) a gold glover at one of the most important positions on the diamond. If he could OPS 700 with the same defense he's coveted by every ML club

I personally believe Elias shops Mateo this offseason. We'll see. 

I thought they were going to lose 100 games.   Instead they worked hard, improved their performance levels and had a great season.  Hopefully they build on it and we see a long stretch of playoff appearances.   

I think we've seen the last of Rougned Odor, Tyler Nevin, DJ Stewart, Yusniel Diaz, Zac Lowther, Bruce Zimmerman and Jordan Lyles in the organization.  

Overall, I think 83 wins is awesome.  And I give almost all of that credit to the pitching staff who really kept us in so many games.  I am disappointed that we lost the season series to every divisional opponent (especially when three of them were 10-9 and we lost the last game to each).  And the hitting was brutally weak over the last 30 games.  But big picture, this was a great season and I am glad that collectively we finally have real expectations going into the offseason.