Are the FA DH players better than the O's prospects?

wildcard

Abreu had a career .925 OPS vs LHP and that’s with a shift. I’d give him 3/50, and I’m not trying to have us just spend money to spend it. I think he’d be our Carlos Beltran. Without the shift I could see Abreu competing for a batting title. He solidifies our lineup. You pay him while no other bat needs to get paid. 

.317 is his career high in BA. I see him topping that next year with a boatload of RBIs.  He’ll have OBP machines in front of him. Buy the vet bat while it’s there. 

Big hidden value… we’re competing against the CWS for a WC spot next year. We also get to snatch him from a competitor. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Abreu had a career .925 OPS vs LHP and that’s with a shift. I’d give him 3/50, and I’m not trying to have us just spend money to spend it. I think he’d be our Carlos Beltran. Without the shift I could see Abreu competing for a batting title. He solidifies our lineup. You pay him while no other bat needs to get paid. 

.317 is his career high in BA. I see him topping that next year with a boatload of RBIs.  He’ll have OBP machines in front of him. Buy the vet bat while it’s there. 

Big hidden value… we’re competing against the CWS for a WC spot next year. We also get to snatch him from a competitor. 

Did Abreu hit regularly against a shift last year? As a RHH I dont think the shift would be as drastic for him but I could be wrong...If he was a slam dunk for a 300/25/100 type year I would be all over it but I just dont see that coming out of him. I want to see the orioles only target a starting caliber hitter if they are a top notch average guy. We have balanced power throughout the lineup but no one that has shown they can hit ML for over .300. That is what this lineup needs imo. Maybe Abreu is that guy but im not sold on it over our internal options

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The shift should help everyone and I don't see him as a particularly extreme pull hitter. The counter point is that we now have the Wall in LF. I just don't see paying top dollar for a 36 year old. Just seems like a bad idea.

15 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I really like Abreu, but would be hesitant to give him three years.  

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I really like Abreu, but would be hesitant to give him three years.  

Of course, but that’s how most FA deals make everyone feel. I think he’ll do enough in year 1 and 2, for us to “carry” him in year 3. If not, we’ll be looking Aguilar, Mancini, Candeleiro route. Or something similar to those three. I think Abreu is an almost perfect fit here. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Of course, but that’s how most FA deals make everyone feel. I think he’ll do enough in year 1 and 2, for us to “carry” him in year 3. If not, we’ll be looking Aguilar, Mancini, Candeleiro route. Or something similar to those three. I think Abreu is an almost perfect fit here. 

Abreu seems like a good fit for the O's at DH/backup 1B but for Abreu San Diego may be a better fit.   They need a 1B and they are already a playoff team.

The alternative for the O's is not the players you suggest IMO.  Pederson is a FA possibility and one of the other ways to go is give those at bats to Westburg and Stowers.

• wildcard changed the title to Are the FA DH players better than the O's prospects?