Top 40 Pitchers in 2009 Draft

Who would you take if the 5 spot came between Donovan Tate and Dustin Ackley (with Ackley being looked at as a LFer)?

Tough question. Why would Ackley be in LF rather than CF? Ackley in CF and I'd take Ackley. His power is still fringy for a COF spot, but I still take Acks over Tate -- Tate could be above-AVG hitting while Ackley is a potential pus-plus hitter.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tough question. Why would Ackley be in LF rather than CF? Ackley in CF and I'd take Ackley. His power is still fringy for a COF spot, but I still take Acks over Tate -- Tate could be above-AVG hitting while Ackley is a potential pus-plus hitter.

I just figure that our only available OF spot in BAL is LF, so I conveniently project Ackley there.

Does Ackley cover enough ground to be a CF'er? He seems to have decent speed, but not your typical CF'er speed.

I just figure that our only available OF spot in BAL is LF, so I conveniently project Ackley there.

Does Ackley cover enough ground to be a CF'er? He seems to have decent speed, but not your typical CF'er speed.

Yeah, more than enough for CF.

But if you are not using them at their most valuable position, wouldn't it make more sense to go with one of the SP? Say Crow, Gibson, Purke and Givens are still out there?

But if you are not using them at their most valuable position, wouldn't it make more sense to go with one of the SP? Say Crow, Gibson, Purke and Givens are still out there?

Oh, I would take a couple of pitchers before either, but I think the question was Ackley or Tate.

Oh, I would take a couple of pitchers before either, but I think the question was Ackley or Tate.

Ahhh, ok, just checking. I've seen a lot of people high on Acks and Tate to the 4th-5th picks point, but I have a couple of pitchers I'm slotting above them. I was just curious.

How do you read Givens? I'm a little torn on him right now, but I see some potential. I still like Purke and Gibson more than him, but he's the one I could really see flying up some boards with a strong season.

Ahhh, ok, just checking. I've seen a lot of people high on Acks and Tate to the 4th-5th picks point, but I have a couple of pitchers I'm slotting above them. I was just curious.

How do you read Givens? I'm a little torn on him right now, but I see some potential. I still like Purke and Gibson more than him, but he's the one I could really see flying up some boards with a strong season.

12-16 range for me right now. Some scouts like him a lot as a SS. He looked good off of the mound when I saw him. He looks like he's built more for relief than to start. Some good feel for secondary stuff but it's a ways away. Electric arm and low slot. I think he has more value off of the mound right now, but I don't know that it's near top 10 talent as of today. He'll be interesting to watch over the next five months or so.

Stot have you seen Acks play yet? What does it take to move from an OF position to 2B? I'm typically not in favor of moving people all around, but after looking at his hitting stats, there's not much to dislike. I wouldn't want him at the #5 overall pick as a 1B (because of power), and if his arm isn't strong enough anymore for CF is there anyway he's athletic enough to make a move to a position where his bat would profile better (2B?).

Also, I live a little south of Raleigh and am planning on going to see him play on a day that White pitches. Anyone that wants to go shoot me a PM.

Say at the 5 spot, Strasburg, White, Green, and Matzek are gone.

Which one would you take

Crow

Ackley

Tate

or list another player you think would be good at 5

Today? Crow. But I am watching Gibson, Purke, and Givens right now and just waiting for someone to pass Crow so that I can ignore that whole attitude thing from last year.

Like Stotle and I were just talking about Givens could go either way, SS or P, I don't think he ends up that high if he stays at SS, and as a P he has to show me a bit more right now. If he can show me some consistency with secondary pitches, I try him as a starter, if not then maybe a set-up/closer down the road (not worth a 5th overall pick to me, I agree with 12-16ish).

We need to see the development of a couple guys come March and April, not to mention a SP or two that no one is watching will come out of either the ACC or SEC this season. I'm getting ready to dig in to a few more guys right now, but the real juicy stuff won't start until Feb.

Stot have you seen Acks play yet? What does it take to move from an OF position to 2B? I'm typically not in favor of moving people all around, but after looking at his hitting stats, there's not much to dislike. I wouldn't want him at the #5 overall pick as a 1B (because of power), and if his arm isn't strong enough anymore for CF is there anyway he's athletic enough to make a move to a position where his bat would profile better (2B?).

Also, I live a little south of Raleigh and am planning on going to see him play on a day that White pitches. Anyone that wants to go shoot me a PM.

The biggest problem with OF to INF conversion is playing ground balls and reading hops. Usually athletic guys can figure out the footwork thing, and work hard at getting the positioning down, but you can't teach depth perception, so you never know how a guy will do judging those balls and knowing when to charge and when to sit back until you try them. There was some talk of trying him at 2B, and if he can stick there, you are looking at a worthy #5 pick. At CF, he's about there, I personally like him 7-12 as an OF. At 1B I can't see him being worth more than a mid-late 1st round pick, so this season will tell a lot for him.

I saw him last year. He has handled 1B fine, but I think you need to work him out at 2B and see what happens. UNC isn't going to do it because they are looking to win a national championship this year.

I could see how 2B would work well if his shoulder is problematic (since he'll be able to throw more from the ear). The biggest question is, if you draft Ackley and move him to 2nd, are you willing to eat the extra one or two years worth of development, since his bat should move pretty quickly? I don't know if I would be if I'm spending a top 5 pick on him.

Say at the 5 spot, Strasburg, White, Green, and Matzek are gone.

Which one would you take

Crow

Ackley

Tate

or list another player you think would be good at 5

Personally, I still take Matt Davidson. But I'm a vocal minority on that one. I'd consider Crow or Miller. I don't know, I'm pretty set on my valuations at the top of the draft right now because there isn't a ton of new info coming out (end of February can't come fast enough! :)). Oliver might slip if he can't pitch at Ok State this year. I don't think he makes it to the 2nd round, though (unfortunately).

Personally, I still take Matt Davidson. But I'm a vocal minority on that one. I'd consider Crow or Miller. I don't know, I'm pretty set on my valuations at the top of the draft right now because there isn't a ton of new info coming out (end of February can't come fast enough! :)). Oliver might slip if he can't pitch at Ok State this year. I don't think he makes it to the 2nd round, though (unfortunately).

I like Davidson 6th personally ;) He is an option, just depends on who does what this season. I completely agree, I want to see some progression so I can redo everything :)

Archived