Cronenworth

E-D-D-I-E

Since the Pads were desperate to give their money away and signed Bogartz to that insane contract, that leaves Cronenworth, dangling. I know they claim 1st base, but I don't believe they are done spending.

Although I don't believe Cronenworth is a stud defensively, he meets many of the criteria Elias is looking for.

-Lefty -Good OBP -Athletic -Fairly inexpensive

What's you guys thoughts on him and his availability?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If Tatis is now an outfielder, maybe they'd like to move Soto for salary relief? 

I'd still also be focused on Snell. Not sure where Cronenworth would play but I'd be interested for sure.

I don’t think you sign Bogaerts and then in turn try to get salary relief for a guy many saw as best young player in the game just a year ago.   It does make you wonder how they can pay all them.(Machado, Tatis, Bogaerts, Soto). They don’t have much pitching and not the deep farm to just retool anymore.  They are gonna need to go to 300 million to stay competitive in two years.

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s more of a second baseman, so I don’t think he fits.

If we believe the plan is Gunnar at 3rd, why doesn't Cronenworth fit at 2b? Are we really going to rely on Urias, especially if Gunnar is playing 3rd? Cronenworth opens up Westburg/Ortiz to be dealt. 

9 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

If we believe the plan is Gunnar at 3rd, why doesn't Cronenworth fit at 2b? Are we really going to rely on Urias, especially if Gunnar is playing 3rd? Cronenworth opens up Westburg/Ortiz to be dealt. 

I mean, we have 3 internal 2nd base options that can play right now (4 if you include Norby) and all of them have the same or more upside with the bat as Cronenworth.

I don’t think he’s a bad target in general but not someone who fits us right now.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, tabletop said:

He's regressed each year since his 2020 breakout in the abbreviated campaign. I would rather just give Norby, Westburg, or whoever they think the long term answer at 2B is going to be a chance.

I think the key here is that Cronenworth bats left-handed while Norby and Westburg or right-handed. The question is, how much value does the wall take away from our right-handed hitting prospects and should we trade them for switch-hitters or left-handed hitters of the same value.

I honestly haven't put that much thought into overall, but while Cronenworth has declined and his statcast numbers are not great offensively, I do think he would be a good fit in Camden Yards. Saying that, they think he would have hit just one more homer in Camden Yards than with the Padres.