Recent draft picks hitting the ball hard

Sports Guy

If Colton Cowser's AVG EV was 97 mph last year, I have him too low on my list. That would be tops in MLB. I wonder if those numbers are accurate,

I did here rumors that statcast info will be available for minor leaguers next year! That would be so amazing!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Has anyone encountered a public source with the 90th EV value in that Twitter image?

Notice how Cowser got 105.3 for 90th EV and max EV - that means he basically attains his 105 on 10% of his batted balls.     I've heard its "better" than maxEV, because maxEV will tell you Franchy Cordero can hit it 114 without the context he does that about once every 200 PA.

I think the Orioles value "sweet spot" a good deal - Cowser most conspicuous, but other O's in that chart their 90th EV's looked closer to their max than some other guys.

If you look at Sweet Spot from 2022 on Savant, it finds Mancini/Mountcastle near top, and even such beloved players as Jesus Aguilar and Adam Frazier.

Sweet Spot is just the Savant lingo for the launch angle aspect of your batted balls - I believe 8-32 degrees is the happy place between ground outs and fly outs.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Has anyone encountered a public source with the 90th EV value in that Twitter image?

Notice how Cowser got 105.3 for 90th EV and max EV - that means he basically attains his 105 on 10% of his batted balls.     I've heard its "better" than maxEV, because maxEV will tell you Franchy Cordero can hit it 114 without the context he does that about once every 200 PA.

I think the Orioles value "sweet spot" a good deal - Cowser most conspicuous, but other O's in that chart their 90th EV's looked closer to their max than some other guys.

If you look at Sweet Spot from 2022 on Savant, it finds Mancini/Mountcastle near top, and even such beloved players as Jesus Aguilar and Adam Frazier.

Sweet Spot is just the Savant lingo for the launch angle aspect of your batted balls - I believe 8-32 degrees is the happy place between ground outs and fly outs.

I think it's a SSS for Cowser.  Probably had less than 10 batted balls.  Only one at 105.3.  And it's college stats from the year before he was drafted.  Plus they have Max Wagner on the board on both pages (there's a second page if you look at the Twitter source).  Which makes me question the whole thing anyway...

On 1/4/2023 at 12:21 PM, Just Regular said:

The Orioles value Smash Factor

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1