Don't bet against "Mr Everywhere"

wildcard

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Do you expect Vavra to make the OD roster?  I think he and Westburg are competing for a spot, with Vavra having some edge since he’s on the 40-man roster, but not a shoe-in.   

I think Vavra is competing against O’Hearn, Cordero, and Mazara but I think O’Hearns ability to play 1B and COF gives him the edge over the others.   Westburg is headed to Norfolk.

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I think Vavra is competing against O’Hearn, Cordero, and Mazara but I think O’Hearns ability to play 1B and COF gives him the edge over the others.   Westburg is headed to Norfolk.

If we make no other changes to the plan roster then I give Vavra the edge for the last bench spot. He’s not the best fit, and I’d like to see him work on his role in AAA, but the other players are really flawed. Westburg has a good chance. He’s just gotta hit and show he can handle COF/1B. We don’t really need him for the IF this year. 

17 hours ago, owknows said:

In the absence of the shift, the organization has decided it would be best to field a shortstop at every skill position.

Perhaps, but if they were going to do that, then I would have gone with Ortiz and lived with his adjustments with the bat since he'd be the best defensive second baseman they could put on the field. 

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Do you expect Vavra to make the OD roster?  I think he and Westburg are competing for a spot, with Vavra having some edge since he’s on the 40-man roster, but not a shoe-in.   

I don't think the Orioles envision Westburg as a utility type unless it's as a super utility type where he's going to play 6 times a week at different positions. Vavra actually is a pretty good bench guy because he's a decent pinch hitter type late in games for Mateo or McCann and will give you good at bats. If he can show the ability to produce without playing a bunch (A skill often overlooked by some people) then I think he's a pretty solid 26th man for the team. 

My guess is Westburg is sent down to AAA to play a combo of 2B, 1B, and perhaps corner outfield if they envision that super utility kind of guy. If they see him as Mountcastle's ultimate replacement, then he should focus on 1B and if the 2B of the future, then most of his reps should be there. My guess, and it's truly a guess because trying to think along on how the Orioles develop guys positionally is a challenge, is that he gets moved around at those three positions though he could also see time at 3B and SS occasionally in that scenario. 

In Westburg's case, I don't havea  problem with him moving around a bunch because he's probably not going to be a plus defensive player anywhere outside of 1B potentially. Obviously it's hard to know how he'll play the outfield, but he runs well enough to play out there.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Potentially, but McCann and Rutschman's ability to play first base hurts those backup 1B options and gives Vavra a leg up. Now obviously all of those guys come with more power, something nice to bring off the bench, but Vavra has the ability to get on base and work good PAs and has a little positional flexibility by being able to play 2B and outfield (even has some CF experience). 

Vavra being on a crowded 40-man also gives him a leg up on the competition.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Potentially, but McCann and Rutschman's ability to play first base hurts those backup 1B options and gives Vavra a leg up. Now obviously all of those guys come with more power, something nice to bring off the bench, but Vavra has the ability to get on base and work good PAs and has a little positional flexibility by being able to play 2B and outfield (even has some CF experience). 

All good points and the 40 man is a very strong point.  One last counter point.  Vavra’s ability to play 2B is not very important with both Frazier and Urias on the team.  I would agree, based on the 40 man roster Vavra might be the favorite from that group.  

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

All good points and the 40 man is a very strong point.  One last counter point.  Vavra’s ability to play 2B is not very important with both Frazier and Urias on the team.  I would agree, based on the 40 man roster Vavra might be the favorite from that group.  

Agreed, the Orioles infield flexibility with those guys as well Mateo/Henderson does take away a little bit of the need for him to play 2B. 

I still think his ability to get on base and perform a bit when not playing everyday will give him the edge, but we shall see. Clearly Elias mounted a bunch of backup 1B/bad corner OF options for some reason, so perhaps that's the way he's leaning.

It's fun to play along and try to figure out what his intentions are, but this is a guy who played Odor all year last year and went out and got a washed up Aguliar and played him over Stowers so I've also learned that making sense is not always the way he goes! :D

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't see the 40 man as crowded.    Johnson and Means are probably on the 60 day IL and Zimmermann is so far down the starter list he could easily get DFA'd if they need space.

Edited by wildcard

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I like Vavra to begin the season for three weeks until Westburg is passed his service time issue.

There's definitely ABs to be had in COF.  Our best possible lineups with Westburg in COF,

vs RHP

1. Mullins L CF

2. Adley S C

3. Gunnar L 3B

4. Santander S DH

5. Mountcastle R 1B

6. Stowers L LF

7. Hays R RF

8. Frazier L 2B

9. Urias R 3B

Mateo, Westburg, McCann, McKenna

Vs LHP