Orioles will have 3 games on Peacock this year

Going Underground

What they've been doing with streaming games on Youtube is the best way to appeal to the younger audience. Kids nowadays pretty much watch Youtube and Twitch exclusively. There are live chat features on those services that get them more involved as well. Knowing MLB, I'm sure they'll sacrifice this in order to throw games on Peacock, Apple TV etc. which kids are NOT using. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’m sure they would argue that even with Apple games roughly 156-58 games will still be available. 

Who gives a rat's ass what "they" would argue? At the end of the day, some fans want to watch every game or at have access to every game without playing Frickn' streaming damn service Roulette. Personally, I have cable and pretty much every streaming service but it's still a damn pain in the ass. 

Piece mailing in streaming services when people are paying to see EVERY GAME on MASN is a bunch of short-sighted money grabbing from an organization that is always short-sighted and money grabbing. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know if the younger generation can be appealed to by throwing random games up on Peacock and hoping for the best.

It starts before that.  MLB needs to do a better job of getting kids involved with the game at a young age before they can find something else that's faster pace like soccer or basketball or lacrosse.  If they're trying to target kids that are 10+, it's probably too late.  

MLB was way better at marketing their players and the game in the 1990’s. Putting a few games on different streaming platforms is not going to gain any significant number of younger people as loyal MLB fans.

My kids are school age and as far as I can tell baseball isn’t even on most children’s radar. MLB is running into a huge demographic problem as the boomer generation enters retirement age. 

• Upvote 1

The whole pitch of mlb.tv for out-of-market  folks like myself was “every game, whenever you want it.” Which was great. Then they split off a few for Apple and Peacock. Then they forgot to mention early on last year (oopsie!) that the postseason wasn’t part of the package anymore. That really ticked me off. 

22 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

That one.  Their 2nd tier (and above) programming package.  

Yeah thanks. That’s exactly what I had and will be going back to in a month or so unless there’s a shocking announcement that they have made it available on other services. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Who gives a rat's ass what "they" would argue? At the end of the day, some fans want to watch every game or at have access to every game without playing Frickn' streaming damn service Roulette. Personally, I have cable and pretty much every streaming service but it's still a damn pain in the ass. 

Piece mailing in streaming services when people are paying to see EVERY GAME on MASN is a bunch of short-sighted money grabbing from an organization that is always short-sighted and money grabbing. 

I assume these Peacock games were dictated by MLB, not a choice the Orioles made.   

I’m hoping these games will be free and you won’t have to subscribe to Peacock to get them, like with Apple last year.   Basically, it gives them the chance to get some eyeballs on their network, run ads for their shows during the commercial breaks, and get people interested in subscribing.  

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Thing is if it’s not exclusive Peacock won’t want it. Baseball is a regional sport. They need local fans to watch their product.  

I know very little about the streaming business other than how to switch a few of them on through Roku. I would have thought those services would pay for the right to stream games games even if they're available elsewhere, but of course the fees would be much lower. But maybe that's just wrong.

23 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

Cmon Frobby, You get each of your kids to get 1-2 services and you combine them all for all participants. I have HBO Max thru cell and Amazon Prime but get Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, Pandora, Peacock thru the kids.

I'm on that program, or a version of it, but I sure don't like it. And it doesn't get me to Peacock.

On 1/31/2023 at 3:08 PM, SteveA said:

Flip side is there are a lot of younger folks who have ditched cable/satellite completely and get all the TV they get from a combination of various streaming services. They don't get MASN or ESPN.    This might expose some of them to MLB that they wouldn't otherwise be exposed to.

In my experience, not a lot of people become baseball fans by watching two or three games a year on TV. If MLB wanted to make a sincere effort to reach out to cord-cutters -- as opposed to maximizing revenues by splitting one source of revenue into two, while maintaining the full price for the first -- this has to be about the worst way to do it. "Mark it down on your calendars, cord-cutting streamers. Two weeks from tonight, see the Cardinals battle the Brewers, only on Peacock. And then we'll have another game, with different teams, just three weeks after that." Really, MLB?

11 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

In my experience, not a lot of people become baseball fans by watching two or three games a year on TV. If MLB wanted to make a sincere effort to reach out to cord-cutters -- as opposed to maximizing revenues by splitting one source of revenue into two, while maintaining the full price for the first -- this has to be about the worst way to do it. "Mark it down on your calendars, cord-cutting streamers. Two weeks from tonight, see the Cardinals battle the Brewers, only on Peacock. And then we'll have another game, with different teams, just three weeks after that." Really, MLB?

Well, that’s not really an accurate reflection of what they’re doing. Basically, it’s a Game of the Week format.   If you’re on Peacock, you’re basically getting as much baseball as the NBC network was giving you in 1975.   Don’t know about you, but I pretty much grew up with Game of the Week being the only national baseball broadcast.  Now, of course, there’s MLB Network on cable, MLB.TV streaming, ESPN, Fox, TBS, and then Peacock and Apple.  Plenty of ways to watch way more baseball than I ever watched as a kid.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This applies to all MLB teams. It’s a National deal. When the Yankees are on Peacock or Apple the YES Network does not have the games 

I don’t have Peacock and I would like the ability to watch all the games as well. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

This applies to all MLB teams. It’s a National deal. When the Yankees are on Peacock or Apple the YES Network does not have the games 

I don’t have Peacock and I would like the ability to watch all the games as well. 

Let me make this clear, I don't think for a second this is an Orioles derive issue. It's a MLB issue and another black mark on how they deliver their sport.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

For those who complain about MASN not having a standalone streaming option, or about MLB pushing a few O’s games onto Apple and Peacock: did you know that the Yankees sold the exclusive rights to 20 of their games to Amazon Prime?   https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2023/03/29/yankees-amazon-prime-20-regular-season-games

only a matter of time before you need 50 different streaming services to watch baseball, then the MLB will cry about it's ratings.