Tracking Orioles Minor League Offseason Work

nvpacchi

11 hours ago, emmett16 said:

A lot of this stuff is done virtually now (I’m a driveline client).  If you have access to a few tools (hittrax, blast, and pulse) you upload all your data to their Traq system and meet with your trainer every week, bi-weekly, or monthly.  You video all your workouts, wear your pulse, k-vest, and blast while working in a facility with Hit Trax or Rapsodo and it’s just like you are in their Washington or Arizona facility.  The Orioles use almost an identical system.  

Are you saying the team can track their offseason workouts?  If so, that's pretty cool. 

23 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Are you saying the team can track their offseason workouts?  If so, that's pretty cool. 

I would be shocked if they are not.  It’s not very difficult to do.  I imagine they have a choice between utilizing the teams system and a third party’s system.  The players agent might have a say in what is better for their client.  

Edited by emmett16

I have seen on conversations a lot of the high paid MLB players build their own facilities with all the 'tools'.  Driveline's expertise is the utilization of those tools, data analysis, and developing the training plans for their clients.  Players that utilize them often become coaches/trainers themselves if they can't reach the highest level.  Thus the 'driveline' culture and thoughts grow.  Of course, others out there also believe Driveline and similar programs to be the problem and not the cure.  Players ultimately buy into what/who they think will help them be better.  Internal or External to the team they play for.

The MiLB clients at Driveline are likely the ones trying to improve themselves above and beyond the 'coaches and staff' of the major league minor league coaches.  Ones that have enough signing bonus and commitment to live in Seattle or Phoenix in the offseason.  Another facility in AZ is called PUSH PERFORMANCE.  The top facilities also have Physical therapists on staff.  

Curious with changes in technology and scouting how many college kids that don't go to Cape Cod league would choose to develop somewhere like Driveline vs playing summer ball.  If they or their folks have the $ to invest.  Similar conversation to stick to the school/team staff or look outside to improve yourself.

Likely two types of offseason programs.  Pitchers and Position Players.  After the season, just about everyone needs some time off.  Likely 3-4 weeks.  Use November and December to build muscle mass and strength.  Use January to take that new strength and apply it to improve speed/quickness.  Then 2-3 weeks start with the more precise swing timing, pitch location, with Live AB's etc.  

I don't think players are using Spring Training to get ready for the season.  I think the off season is to get ready, build on it during Spring training (trying to stay healthy) in order to improve your level for the season.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, CHIP said:

I have seen on conversations a lot of the high paid MLB players build their own facilities with all the 'tools'.  Driveline's expertise is the utilization of those tools, data analysis, and developing the training plans for their clients.  Players that utilize them often become coaches/trainers themselves if they can't reach the highest level.  Thus the 'driveline' culture and thoughts grow.  Of course, others out there also believe Driveline and similar programs to be the problem and not the cure.  Players ultimately buy into what/who they think will help them be better.  Internal or External to the team they play for.

The MiLB clients at Driveline are likely the ones trying to improve themselves above and beyond the 'coaches and staff' of the major league minor league coaches.  Ones that have enough signing bonus and commitment to live in Seattle or Phoenix in the offseason.  Another facility in AZ is called PUSH PERFORMANCE.  The top facilities also have Physical therapists on staff.  

Curious with changes in technology and scouting how many college kids that don't go to Cape Cod league would choose to develop somewhere like Driveline vs playing summer ball.  If they or their folks have the $ to invest.  Similar conversation to stick to the school/team staff or look outside to improve yourself.

Likely two types of offseason programs.  Pitchers and Position Players.  After the season, just about everyone needs some time off.  Likely 3-4 weeks.  Use November and December to build muscle mass and strength.  Use January to take that new strength and apply it to improve speed/quickness.  Then 2-3 weeks start with the more precise swing timing, pitch location, with Live AB's etc.  

I don't think players are using Spring Training to get ready for the season.  I think the off season is to get ready, build on it during Spring training (trying to stay healthy) in order to improve your level for the season.

Completely agree with all.  The subject of “are these facilities good or bad?” is all over the place.  I have friends who coach throughout NCAA and some love it and others hate it.  Main school of thought on disliking them is that it pushes all players through the same funnel, while each individual player is unique.  Long armed, long legged, thick, skinny, etc.  Also tht it’s driving the 3 outcome game forcing everyone to swing the same.  I think like everything  it comes down to who you work with and making sure your goals align and you are doing what makes you better not the “typical player”.  

What you outlined is pretty correct.  November is rest.  December & January is adding strength, flexibility, mobility as a goal with “results” being less important.  January and feb you start tweaking your swing, mechanics once you have a good solid base down from previous training.  March and into season you are focusing on swing decisions, approach, and game tactics.   Good training will incorporate all three into each workout, but with % focus changing depending on where you are on your schedule.  You always want like 50/50 Rep work vs. game like adapt drill work.  The game like adapt drills are what makes the repetitive drills stick.  

One massive and often under looked aspect is rest.  Guys that get hurt are either doing too much or trying to catch up on a late start.  You have to let your body recover for the new strength to take hold.  

Driveline, and most academies, have their own teams as well from ages 9-college.  

If teeny bopper YouTubers are building their own cages, why not a pro athlete?   This kid is PG top 50 14/yo I believe.  He might run into Garner Rodriguez this summer.  Yea, he’s a very fortunate young man, but point is for maybe 20-30k on the low side it’s not a bad investment in yourself if your job is to hit balls for a living.  

On 2/4/2023 at 2:58 PM, emmett16 said:

If teeny bopper YouTubers are building their own cages, why not a pro athlete?   This kid is PG top 50 14/yo I believe.  He might run into Garner Rodriguez this summer.  Yea, he’s a very fortunate young man, but point is for maybe 20-30k on the low side it’s not a bad investment in yourself if your job is to hit balls for a living.  

Do you know if he's a 2026 or 2027? I sure hope he's using a BBCOR at this point either way.