Hyde on the Infield plans

Just Regular

2 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

Urias had 400 ABs last year so maybe if a 50-50 split, then 200 at 3B this year. Gunnar can get 450 ABs at 3B and another 150 at SS. Mateo had 500 ABs last year so maybe 450 this year depending on his bat being good enough to play. If not then more Gunnar until Ortiz-Westburg are deemed ready.

Urias had a couple of injuries last year so could have been closer to 500. But last year was still an evaluation year at least til the second half. This year, they should have an idea of who is going to be most productive where and roll with it. I personally would rather have Urias 3B/Gunnar SS than Gunnar 3B/Mateo SS. Vs LHP it makes sense to bench Frazier and slide Urias to 2B, Gunnar to 3B. If Gunnar is the 3B vs RHP as well, then Urias is being benched for Frazier, which seems crazy to me. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Urias seems suited to a utility role to me.  Mateo too, for that matter.

I just don't see any combination of players where you'd want Mateo on the field anywhere other than SS. If Gunnar and Mateo are the left side then Gunnar would be at 3B. If you want Gunnar, Mateo and Urias on the field then Urias would take 2B. This is a matter of not having anyone who plays 3B and only 3B. If Urias really stinks it up at 2B but plays a fine 3B, then maybe you think about Mateo taking reps at 2B, but the way things are looking, there's no reason for Mateo to handle an infield position other than SS.

You could argue for Mateo in the OF, but his infield focus last year helped him out so much that this should be more of an emergency play.

4 hours ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

My first reaction when I heard earlier was “I hope Elias is calling the Dodgers”. Haha. 

Westburg or Ortiz could potentially be an upgrade over Lux (who is overrated, IMO).  We'd need to get a lot in return to make the trade worthwhile.

2 hours ago, yark14 said:

Westburg or Ortiz could potentially be an upgrade over Lux (who is overrated, IMO).  We'd need to get a lot in return to make the trade worthwhile.

There's a good chance Lux's injury is a season-ender. And even if it isn't, trading Mateo to the Dodgers probably fits best for both teams, since he wouldn't cost as much for the Dodgers. And we wouldn't want to deal Westburg or Ortiz before Mateo anyway; both are likely better players than Mateo short-term and long-term. 

We need to trade away Mateo. He has decent value, and we've got multiple prospects in the system who project to be better players at SS.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

There's a good chance Lux's injury is a season-ender. And even if it isn't, trading Mateo to the Dodgers probably fits best for both teams, since he wouldn't cost as much for the Dodgers. And we wouldn't want to deal Westburg or Ortiz before Mateo anyway; both are likely better players than Mateo short-term and long-term. 

We need to trade away Mateo. He has decent value, and we've got multiple prospects in the system who project to be better players at SS.

From the O's perspective, I agree that Mateo is the guy to trade.  But rarely is the answer as black/white as the OH would like and the reality is "it depends".

From the LAD perspective, they haven't historically cared about cost to the point where the contract difference between these guys is negligible.  They likely have other sharks smelling the chum as well.  So, there's a chance this becomes a bidding war that will test a GM's convictions/models.

I just don't know how LAD is weighing the various factors.  Short-term/long-term?  Trust of Amaya (24 y/o SS prospect at AAA)?  How they value their SP prospects?

35 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

From the O's perspective, I agree that Mateo is the guy to trade.  But rarely is the answer as black/white as the OH would like and the reality is "it depends".

From the LAD perspective, they haven't historically cared about cost to the point where the contract difference between these guys is negligible.  They likely have other sharks smelling the chum as well.  So, there's a chance this becomes a bidding war that will test a GM's convictions/models.

I just don't know how LAD is weighing the various factors.  Short-term/long-term?  Trust of Amaya (24 y/o SS prospect at AAA)?  How they value their SP prospects?

Amaya got dealt to Marlins for Miguel Rojas, who is a 34 year old version of Mateo without the speed and upside.   The Dodgers aren’t desperate.  Lux wasn’t great to begin with.   Rojas can provide solid D.   I think they can roll with Rojas and see where they’re at at the trade deadline.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Amaya got dealt to Marlins for Miguel Rojas, who is a 34 year old version of Mateo without the speed and upside.   The Dodgers aren’t desperate.  Lux wasn’t great to begin with.   Rojas can provide solid D.   I think they can roll with Rojas and see where they’re at at the trade deadline.

I missed Rojas pick-up...  Your take seems reasonable.  Though it does leave them especially thin at SS as well.

Its fun the Padres are pressuring them.

The Dodgers seem to ease off the throttle to reset their tax every once in a while, and 2023 looks like one of those years.   I normally wouldn't say the Dodgers care any about $$$/WAR, but this year they might.    Mateo minimum could help them complete their limbo successfully if they need to get Ohtani for +$10mm the last two months.

Mateo is younger than Iglesias/Rojas, but will they see him clearly better?

23 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Hyde and Elias constantly push the idea of versatility. 

They have the best C in baseball playing first.

Everyone is playing all over the place but not Mateo?

Thats surprising.

But Mateo's only real value is his defense at SS. Why would you want his bat in the lineup anywhere else? When Mateo came here he was not considered a plus defender anywhere, but was thought to have bat potential and of course his speed. So they moved him around, but it's clear his value is at SS and on the bases. . Even if you bring in Mateo late in games for PR duties, you have to imagine if he's going to come into the game then he's going to play SS.

22 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not overstating anything. It has been a constant thing repeated over and over again by both Hyde and Elias.

Mullins and Mountcastle are the only 2 players on the team that aren’t going to be asked to play more than 1 fielding position, whether it’s in game, practice, etc…I understand both of those guys especially since Mullins could handle a COF spot and they know that.

Mateo being in that group surprises me.

Lol, you are really being extra hard headed in this thread. As Frobby stated quite clearly, there is no defensive alignment that includes Mateo where he's not playing SS. Is he capable of being versatile, sure, he has in the past, but what situation are you playing Mateo anywhere but SS?

With Frazier's ability to play the outfield, I can't think of one scenario where he would need to play anywhere else. 

You are right, the Orioles absolutely like versatility in their players, but when you have a guy who has proven to be an elite defensive player at SS, you don't play him elsewhere. I mean, are you upset Mullins isn't playing left or right field? No, because anytime he's on the field he's the best defensive CF. 

As for Rutschman being comparable because he's going to get some time at 1B, you are just being silly. You know that is just to rest him behind the plate and I know you know that's important for a catcher.

22 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I’m sure someone posted it but I know Hyde said Westburg was moving around all over infield except 1st.  

That's disappointing. While I do think Westburg can play effectively at 2B and 3B, he really should get some 1B time. Hopefully he just means this spring in games because there are so many current options there. He should get some playing time this year at 1B IMHO.

18 hours ago, Just Regular said:

If 3B Urias, SS Gunnar, 2B Frazier is the first string, it will be interesting to watch if Mateo routinely becomes a defensive sub in games we are winning late.     And who goes where, and who to bench in that switch.

Gunnar goes to 3B and depending on what relievers they have available (RHP vs LHP) then either Frazier or Urias goes to the bench.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Lol, you are really being extra hard headed in this thread. As Frobby stated quite clearly, there is no defensive alignment that includes Mateo where he's not playing SS. Is he capable of being versatile, sure, he has in the past, but what situation are you playing Mateo anywhere but SS?

With Frazier's ability to play the outfield, I can't think of one scenario where he would need to play anywhere else. 

You are right, the Orioles absolutely like versatility in their players, but when you have a guy who has proven to be an elite defensive player at SS, you don't play him elsewhere. I mean, are you upset Mullins isn't playing left or right field? No, because anytime he's on the field he's the best defensive CF. 

As for Rutschman being comparable because he's going to get some time at 1B, you are just being silly. You know that is just to rest him behind the plate and I know you know that's important for a catcher.

Or I’m actually paying attention to what the team said and has said over and over.  Frobby telling me something isn’t going to make me less surprised that the Os aren’t doing this.

I stand by my thought. I’m surprised that they aren’t playing him in other spots as a break glass in case of emergency type thing.