Kyle Bradish 2023

Frobby

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Despite the lack of strikeouts, there didn’t seem to be anything lucky about his performance tonight.  Bradish pitched an excellent game.  Berrios pitched a better one.  

Another encouraging start versus one of the better lineups in baseball. That’s all you can ask for. 

• Upvote 2

Another nice outing - last 30 days, Bradish and Kremer have joined Wells in Top 20 of AL SP by some measures.

AL has 62 guys at 50 IP this morning, about 4 starters/team, granting SP5 is a mishmash for almost everyone.     

Season-long, they are 13/24/27/43 in ERA, and 10/29/36/50 in K-BB, with Kremer the ERA and Gibson the K-BB laggard.     By either metric, BAL has had credible SP1, SP2, SP3 and SP4 performances for the 2023 AL so far, apart from the team's other strengths.

Edited by Just Regular

Was glad to see him increase his strikeout rate last night but was disappointed he couldn't get through the 6th given how pitch efficient he was in the 1st and 2nd innings.

As it stands now, his K rate is .2 below where it was last year, his k/bb rate is almost a full point higher.  

He is trending in the right direction and it's good to see.  I think out of all the starters, he has the best pure stuff.  Just needs to keep refining it and figuring out what works for him.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Was glad to see him increase his strikeout rate last night but was disappointed he couldn't get through the 6th given how pitch efficient he was in the 1st and 2nd innings.

As it stands now, his K rate is .2 below where it was last year, his k/bb rate is almost a full point higher.  

He is trending in the right direction and it's good to see.  I think out of all the starters, he has the best pure stuff.  Just needs to keep refining it and figuring out what works for him.  

His slider was absolutely wicked last night.   That was a weird hiccup he had in the 3rd inning when he walked the 7th and 8th place hitters and fell behind on the 9th place guy.  Then he woke up and struck out the side, throwing some really nasty pitches in the process, but his pitch count got elevated.  That doink down the LF foul line that ticked off Mateo’s glove in the 5th also cost him a bunch of pitches.  

Also, I believe it must be written in the Maryland Constitution that every time Orioles pitchers hit a batter, it will be on a 2-strike count.   It’s so damned frustrating.  

I was still happy with his outing against a very potent Rays’ lineup, but any time our bullpen has to cover the 6th inning, it’s an adventure.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

His slider was absolutely wicked last night.   That was a weird hiccup he had in the 3rd inning when he walked the 7th and 8th place hitters and fell behind on the 9th place guy.  Then he woke up and struck out the side, throwing some really nasty pitches in the process, but his pitch count got elevated.  That doink down the LF foul line that ticked off Mateo’s glove in the 5th also cost him a bunch of pitches.  

Also, I believe it must be written in the Maryland Constitution that every time Orioles pitchers hit a batter, it will be on a 2-strike count.   It’s so damned frustrating.  

I was still happy with his outing against a very potent Rays’ lineup, but any time our bullpen has to cover the 6th inning, it’s an adventure.  

True, that was a weird patch where he lost it but put it back together.  I don't know if he'd have recovered from that last year.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Really nice start for Bradish today. Got down 2-0 early on a couple of mistakes but looked sharp from there. 7 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 7 K to beat a very good pitcher. Seems like he is finding some consistency and emerging as our #2. 

#2? He’s been good and consistent but no better than Kremer or Wells. If we’re saying Gibson is our #1 then I feel Wells is our #2. Regardless we need trade for a true ace or at least someone to replace Irvin. 

15 minutes ago, Os4days said:

#2? He’s been good and consistent but no better than Kremer or Wells. If we’re saying Gibson is our #1 then I feel Wells is our #2. Regardless we need trade for a true ace or at least someone to replace Irvin. 

I don't think anyone is saying Gibson is our #1.

22 minutes ago, Os4days said:

I am saying Bradish is currently our second best after Wells. I said our #2, not that he would be an ideal #2 on a playoff team etc. I agree, a true ace would improve the team and did not say anything otherwise.

Bradish has definitely been better than Kremer. His ERA is .75 runs lower, gets more K's, lower WHIP, and has way lower HR/9.

It is closer between him and Gibson but Bradish gets way more K's, fewer BB, lower WHIP. I don't see how you can make a case that Bradish is worse than anyone other than Wells.

I feel more and more confident and Bradish. For a big game right now I would want Wells>Bradish>Gibson>Kremer>Irvin.

Palmer made Corey Kluber "slider god" comps on the broadcast yesterday, and Stuff+ agrees it is one of MLB's very best sliders.

That said, I loved the bunch of fastballs in a row to bat control artist JP Crawford opening the game.    Sure, he is from the Adam Frazier school, but even if Kyle Bradish is a "bad fastball" pitcher, he can lean on it against guys who are less dangerous.

Famously, the Astros once had Lance McCullers throw ~40 straight curveballs in a playoff decider against the Yankees, and it isn't inconceivable the Orioles might ask Bradish to do something similar one day.

PitcherList today had the observation about the (unhelpful) cut on his 4-seamer:

Kyle Bradish (BAL) vs SEA (W) – 7.0 IP, 2 ER, 2 Hits, 2 BBs, 7 Ks – 13 Whiffs, 30% CSW, 103 pitches.

Bradish didn’t have his curve, but the four-seamer got called strikes and the slider was the pitch we wanted it to be. There was a whole lot of high heaters here and to see 2/29 whiffs on that four-seamer still brings me pain. Too much dang cut action on that thing. Despite the recent success, I’m wary of Bradish given the slider/curve approach took a night off here. That’s the real ticket to Bradish having sustainable success in my book (four-seamer called strikes are not it) and it makes me think his next start against Minnesota may be a bit of a trap.