Roster cuts Friday morning?

wildcard

3 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I'm wondering if Mazara even has a spot on the Norfolk roster; he's looking like he may be an end-of-camp cut from the organization

I think so.  I hope so.   Here’s a guy who peaked at 22.   He doesn’t offer much unless he can mash.

With Mazara, it depends for me. Depends on whether it is between a guy like Neustrom or Mazara, maybe. What is his attitude like? Is there some remaining upside? Is he willing to go down to AAA and work on some deficiencies?

I mean, neither is likely long for the organization, but if you want to keep one for a few months because there is some upside there and you want the veteran depth. It should be a little interesting to see who remains in the organization after camp.

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

With Mazara, it depends for me. Depends on whether it is between a guy like Neustrom or Mazara, maybe. What is his attitude like? Is there some remaining upside? Is he willing to go down to AAA and work on some deficiencies?

I mean, neither is likely long for the organization, but if you want to keep one for a few months because there is some upside there and you want the veteran depth. It should be a little interesting to see who remains in the organization after camp.

Mazara signed a minor league deal, so he doesn't really have a choice about being reassigned to AAA unless he has an opt-out (which is possible given his major league time). O'Hearn and Cordero are going to be hanging around Norfolk too unless one of them makes the 26-man over Vavra (entirely possible). It's a crowded competition for both the 26-man and the AAA roster it seems, and that's a good thing in my opinion.  

2 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Mazara signed a minor league deal, so he doesn't really have a choice about being reassigned to AAA unless he has an opt-out (which is possible given his major league time). O'Hearn and Cordero are going to be hanging around Norfolk too unless one of them makes the 26-man over Vavra (entirely possible). It's a crowded competition for both the 26-man and the AAA roster it seems, and that's a good thing in my opinion.  

Right. Certainly, the opt out is an issue. I’m just saying that I think it depends on what they think he might be capable of doing. Maybe he sticks in AAA until June 1 or so, then opts out. They could just release him at the end of camp and move on. They still have guys like Neustrom and Fontana, and the prospect of Cordero and O’Hearn being in Norfolk as you said. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. 

• Upvote 1

My feeling is that it’s likely all of Cowser, Cordero, Cameron, Lester, Diaz, and O’Hearn go to Norfolk.   Haskin is also a possibility as the poor guy OPSd over .800 in AAA.    Mazara offers the least defensively from this whole group.   His calling card early in his career was some power.   I can’t think of a good reason to keep him around but who knows.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

My feeling is that it’s likely all of Cowser, Cordero, Cameron, Lester, Diaz, and O’Hearn go to Norfolk.   Haskin is also a possibility as the poor guy OPSd over .800 in AAA.    Mazara offers the least defensively from this whole group.   His calling card early in his career was some power.   I can’t think of a good reason to keep him around but who knows.

You’re probably right. It is fairly crowded. A nice mix of prospects, upside and veterans. Have you seen any legit info on the opt outs for Cordero or Mazara? Cordero might just be in Boston on OD. Maybe, at Vavra’s expense. 

Haskin is underrated, definitely. He should be in AAA, but it would not shock me if he starts in Bowie due to the logjam. I forget where I read it, but I believe it said Haskin has the 5th highest OPS of O’s minor leaguers. That surprised me a bit. 

14 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Meoli focuses on most of these guys and how/if the O’s can help them translate their power into games.  If they can do that…  Meoli mentions Justin Turner and Max Muncy as potential comps in the intro.

12 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

When are the next round of cuts, I was expecting to hear something after the split squad yesterday or this morning after they'd have had time to inform all the players, but I haven't see anything. 

The last thing that Hyde said was there might be a couple of cuts that trickle in but most of them will come right at the end. 

If I had to guess, guys like Cowser and Kjerstad are probably pretty close to being next on the chopping block, now that Santander is back and Mullins will be soon.