just curious..

I am probably posting this in the wrong forum, but I wasn't for sure. I was looking at the mock draft, where it had the Orioles taking Crow at the 5th pick. Well I noticed that my friend Dustin Ackley was predicted to be taken by the Pirates the pick before us. I played high school baseball against Ackley and played on the same AAU team with him in some summer tournaments. I am just curious as to how you all would project him to do professionally? Would you all have interest in him being picked by the Orioles since he plays first base? I can tell you from seeing him plenty in person that the guy is an amazing hitter. He can hit pretty much anything thrown. I think it would be pretty cool to know the Oriole's top draft choice personally if by some chance the O's did draft him.

I am probably posting this in the wrong forum, but I wasn't for sure. I was looking at the mock draft, where it had the Orioles taking Crow at the 5th pick. Well I noticed that my friend Dustin Ackley was predicted to be taken by the Pirates the pick before us. I played high school baseball against Ackley and played on the same AAU team with him in some summer tournaments. I am just curious as to how you all would project him to do professionally? Would you all have interest in him being picked by the Orioles since he plays first base? I can tell you from seeing him plenty in person that the guy is an amazing hitter. He can hit pretty much anything thrown. I think it would be pretty cool to know the Oriole's top draft choice personally if by some chance the O's did draft him.

This will probably be moved to the minors forum, but absolutely we should pick Ackley. The guy is the best hitter at UNC since BRob. And we have no positional depth whatsoever. Ackley is a no-brainer at #5...

This will probably be moved to the minors forum, but absolutely we should pick Ackley. The guy is the best hitter at UNC since BRob. And we have no positional depth whatsoever. Ackley is a no-brainer at #5...

Roberts never went to UNC. He went to South Carolina.

Ackley may be the best pure hitter in the draft. The question is whether him at 1st precludes selecting him at 1:5. A 1B drafted that high must be carried by his bat, so if Ackley were to end-up a 60 hitter, instead of a 70 (on the scouting scale) while providing fringe-average power, he ends up a "bust" as a 1:5 pick, though he'd still be a solid MLer.

I'd put him in the 8-10 range right now, as I think there are some arms and maybe a bat or two ahead of him. It's a fairly thin class as of right now, though, so he may end up being a reasonable pick at 1:5 depending on how the Spring goes. I think his value rises dramatically if he can log some quality innings in CF this year at UNC. Maybe also if he works out at 2B at some of the team-scheduled workouts prior to the draft.

I saw him hit a HR while breaking his (aluminum!) bat. His injury cut down his power numbers. Now that he's another year removed from his injury, I bet you'll see a big power spike this year. If that happens, I'd pick him over anyone at #5.

Although I think we still need pitching and I'd sure be tempted by Matzek.

Not if there's a pitcher available with better talent at #5. Ackley as a first baseman is not worth the #5 overall pick, IMO.

Ackley may be the best pure hitter in the draft. The question is whether him at 1st precludes selecting him at 1:5. A 1B drafted that high must be carried by his bat, so if Ackley were to end-up a 60 hitter, instead of a 70 (on the scouting scale) while providing fringe-average power, he ends up a "bust" as a 1:5 pick, though he'd still be a solid MLer.

I'd put him in the 8-10 range right now, as I think there are some arms and maybe a bat or two ahead of him. It's a fairly thin class as of right now, though, so he may end up being a reasonable pick at 1:5 depending on how the Spring goes. I think his value rises dramatically if he can log some quality innings in CF this year at UNC. Maybe also if he works out at 2B at some of the team-scheduled workouts prior to the draft.

Pretty much agree with your take as usual, Stotle, although "bust" is a vague term.

He's a late first round pick for me at 1st, maybe 1:15 as a corner outfielder. If he works out and looks good at second then I would take him in the top 10, perhaps top 5 if he has a very good season.

I think people need to think about the risk involved with drafting a first baseman with your top pick. You need to feel really sure about his bat because the position demands good offensive output from a starter. He has to develop average, patience and power to be an above average regular at 1st.

He also doesn't have the defensive "safety net" of a centerfielder or shortstop who can move around the field to other positions if he can't hack it at his drafted position. It's pretty much either 1B or DH for a drafted first baseman. His bat needs to come through in a big way to carry at 1st and his value is greatly diminished at DH. Of course, Ackley is athletic and I have no doubt he'd be a solid defensive first baseman, so that's not big deal.

He's just not the kind of bat I'd draft at 1:5 if I knew he was limited to first.

Archived