Samuel Basallo 2023

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I was thinking that Ardoin has now been moved into the organizational catcher category as opposed to a prospect, where they use him to fill needs between teams as opposed to worrying about any real prospect development. 

I think his second half performance moves him ahead of Maverick as a prospect.  I think he’s a legitimate top 30.   If the bat keeps progressing, better.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think his second half performance moves him ahead of Maverick as a prospect.  I think he’s a legitimate top 30.   If the bat keeps progressing, better.

I hope so, it just seems when guys in important defensive position start jumping levels that can be a bad omen for their standing in the organization. Elias and team really like to do each rung of the ladder with their prospects it seems.

On 7/28/2023 at 4:26 PM, CHIP said:

I think a potential comp to what others have said about starting behind the dish and moving, along with his size considerations and unknowns, is Joe Mauer of the Twins.

Started for Twins at 6-5, 225# at the age of 21 and at age of 27 he was 6-5 235# when he made his move to 1B with a massive contract and massive increase in power production.  The contract was for the bat over the catching defense.

Mauer hit 28 HRs at 26 years old besting his previous best of 13. Then never hit more than 11 HRs in a season. so I guess I'm not sure I see the massive increase in power production at 27 years old.

2 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I hope so, it just seems when guys in important defensive position start jumping levels that can be a bad omen for their standing in the organization. Elias and team really like to do each rung of the ladder with their prospects it seems.

4th round pick.  OPS 1.017 for July.  17 walks and 15 strikeouts this month.

He wasn’t very good until July but I think the consider him more than an organizational catcher.

• Upvote 2

BP had one of their guys watching Delmarva recently.     This write up on his hitting game sounds kinda familiar...

There is a direct line between Basallo’s hitting style and the shape of his production—it is an extremely selective approach that may at times edge towards passive, though the confidence he expresses outwardly during and and after many of his takes indicates pitch recognition skills that are very advanced for his age.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He wasn’t very good until July but I think the consider him more than an organizational catcher.

There are no catching prospects at Bowie and this was most likely to promote away the 3rd catcher at Aberdeen. Ardoin can handle the defensive requirements so why not? Now Basallo and Willems can rotate between C, 1B and DH.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah. I don't know enough about Ardoin to say he's a legit prospect, but when he was drafted there was a thought that he had  plus defense, but lacked power and hit tool, if I remember correctly.

So if they're re-building his swing like a lot of others, his slow start makes sense (particularly at Aberdeen). Still he has a lot to prove with the bat before his overall hitting profile changes.

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There are no catching prospects at Bowie and this was most likely to promote away the 3rd catcher at Aberdeen. Ardoin can handle the defensive requirements so why not? Now Basallo and Willems can rotate between C, 1B and DH.

Completely agree.  Elias & Co promoted Ardoin because Basallo made them create a spot in Aberdeen. 

When Ardoin was drafted he was praised as a defensive equal to Handley with an advanced bat.  The organization did get Ardoin a lot more game time in Aberdeen a lot faster than Handley.  But if I recall, Handley was off and on IL the 2nd half of 2021. 

Defensively in Aberdeen in 453 innings,  Ardoin had 34 assists, 6 errors, 3 PB and 20/69 CS 29%.  Handley had 427 innings, 51 assists, 4 errors, 3 PB, and 28/60 CS 47%.  Offensively Ardoin had 214 ABs in 68 games to Handley's 199 in 60 games.  Each had 5 HR, Ardoin had 86K vs. 71K.  Ardoin did walk more.  Handley stole 12 of 14 while Ardoin stole 4 of 9.  Looking at the DOB's Ardoin is 18 months younger than Handley currently but 6 months older while at the same level of Aberdeen.

Overall, I think Ardoin's July helped justify the move but Elias & Co didn't move Ardoin because of July... it was because of Basallo.

With the youth of Willems and Basallo and their respective offensive upsides, Ardoin can feel the breath of each over his shoulder.  I don't think Handley is having anyone breathing down his neck but looking for an opportunity or a breath of fresh air.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Just Regular said:

BP had one of their guys watching Delmarva recently.     This write up on his hitting game sounds kinda familiar...

There is a direct line between Basallo’s hitting style and the shape of his production—it is an extremely selective approach that may at times edge towards passive, though the confidence he expresses outwardly during and and after many of his takes indicates pitch recognition skills that are very advanced for his age.

You mean Terrin Vavra, right?

• 2 weeks later...

By the Age reports on FG leaderboards, he's the only 18 year old out of a couple hundred Bats who have accrued 50 PA so far this year.

Players this young - its just the Clubs putting them there that's exciting on its own.    If they thrive...

We've talked some about Mayo v. the top NCAA sluggers like Crews and Langford, and I guess same kind of deal with Basallo v. 2023's highest drafted 12th graders like Clark and Jenkins.

For the peak Adley teams, I do kind of see a dividing line after Basallo and before Bradfield.     EBJ will back fill Cedric but early career Bradfield will probably be a drop off from mid-career Cedric.

Basallo joining the lineup, if he can get there before Cedric is gone....on paper I think that may be as good as it can look.

If he can make it by OD 2025, Adley, Basallo, Holliday, Gunnar, Mayo, Cowser, Cedric, Kjerstad and Westburg taking 6500 out of the team's 7000 PA would be something.     Beavers, Ortiz, Norby and a catcher. 

33 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

By the Age reports on FG leaderboards, he's the only 18 year old out of a couple hundred Bats who have accrued 50 PA so far this year.

Players this young - its just the Clubs putting them there that's exciting on its own.    If they thrive...

We've talked some about Mayo v. the top NCAA sluggers like Crews and Langford, and I guess same kind of deal with Basallo v. 2023's highest drafted 12th graders like Clark and Jenkins.

For the peak Adley teams, I do kind of see a dividing line after Basallo and before Bradfield.     EBJ will back fill Cedric but early career Bradfield will probably be a drop off from mid-career Cedric.

Basallo joining the lineup, if he can get there before Cedric is gone....on paper I think that may be as good as it can look.

If he can make it by OD 2025, Adley, Basallo, Holliday, Gunnar, Mayo, Cowser, Cedric, Kjerstad and Westburg taking 6500 out of the team's 7000 PA would be something.     Beavers, Ortiz, Norby and a catcher. 

I think it's possible that the 2025 roster will have at least 2 players on it that we didn't draft and develop ourselves.