Ben McDonald quotables

Frobby

55 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I’m not sure it’s a quotable, but perhaps my favorite thing Ben has said this year is “Yes!” when Santander caught Andujar’s fly ball on Saturday night. It wasn’t quite a yell, but it was a little louder than normal. I don’t think he intended it. He was just rooting for the team like we were, and that was pretty cool in my opinion.

He did the same thing on the Mullins homer for the cycle. Brown said something like ‘did he do it?’ And before he could answer his own question, Ben jumped in with an enthusiastic YES

i think Kevin and Ben are pretty great. I’ve been watching a lot of other games with MLB TV and it’s real hit or miss with other crews. Decent PBP but analysts not as much. 

another Ben fav of mine is ‘how boutcha (player first name)’ after usually a good def play but sometimes after a big hit too. 

Although not a quotable line per se, my favorite Ben McDonald analogy during a game:

While a batter in severe pain was being tended to by trainers after fouling a ball off of their shin, Ben goes on to describe for the listeners what that feels like......he says, "....it's kind of like when you go running through a Walmart parking lot on the way to your car and you run into someone's trailer hitch."

Having done that before in parking lot, I can relate, but it was darn funny to here him say it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Although not a quotable line per se, my favorite Ben McDonald analogy during a game:

While a batter in severe pain was being tended to by trainers after fouling a ball off of their shin, Ben goes on to describe for the listeners what that feels like......he says, "....it's kind of like when you go running through a Walmart parking lot on the way to your car and you run into someone's trailer hitch."

Having done that before in parking lot, I can relate, but it was darn funny to here him say it. 

I laughed out loud just reading that quote. It’s so relatable and true! Lol

9 hours ago, Os4days said:

Imagine you just completed a big project at work as the lead or you win a huge sale and your boss ask you to describe how great the second person in charge was during the process. 

My boss probably wouldn’t have to ask me.  I probably would have told him/her already that my team did a great job and we wouldn’t have succeeded without everyone involved. 

Anyway, I don’t want this thread to wander off. It’s about McDonald’s folksie sayings.

• Upvote 1

Enjoy him in this afternoon's game (those of you who aren't at work and can watch the broadcast).   It will be Ben's last one in over a month, as he goes off to handle postseason college baseball.

We'll have Gregg Olson for the two MASN televised games in Toronto, and then Jim Palmer starting in New York Tuesdya.

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

We'll have Gregg Olson for the two MASN televised games in Toronto 

Hopefully he’ll handle those better than he handled his appearance in Toronto on the final weekend of the “Why Not?” season.  Hope he doesn’t have delayed PTSD.

“It’s whatcha call…”

”How bout cha…”

those are standard lead ins for most anything Ben says and I love his folksie style.  If only we could pair him with Jon Miller, how great a team they would make.  

ps someone needs to start a Ben McDonald story thread.  He had a great one about Albert Belle (will always be “Joey” to Ben) from the days when they were Tigers.  I don’t remember the details now but I do remember hanging on his every word.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hopefully he’ll handle those better than he handled his appearance in Toronto on the final weekend of the “Why Not?” season.  Hope he doesn’t have delayed PTSD.

I'm just glad to hear he's healthy enough to be doing this.   I hope that means he has beaten the prostate cancer, or is at least in remission.

And that was as much or more Jamie Quirk's fault as it was Olson's.   Our veteran pickups for that year, Moreland and Quirk, were epic failures as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I'm just glad to hear he's healthy enough to be doing this.   I hope that means he has beaten the prostate cancer, or is at least in remission.

And that was as much or more Jamie Quirk's fault as it was Olson's.   Our veteran pickups for that year, Moreland and Quirk, were epic failures as far as I'm concerned.

I only vaguely remember the game.  We had our first child four days before, so I was pretty much in a daze that weekend.