Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

On 8/1/2023 at 9:53 PM, OnlyOneOriole said:

As I said above and tonight's game reaffirms....why trade away good and potential great young players that can make your team a dynasty for years to come for a guy that may or may not help you for 2 months for one year?

Makes no sense.

Because flags fly forever.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

How about some context? Lorenzen has pitched against Miami and DC, 2 of the worst offensive teams in baseball.

Flaherty has pitched against Toronto and Houston, 2 of the best offensive teams.

Flaherty K rate: 13 Lorenzen: 5.3

Flaherty BB rate: 3.3 Lorenzen: 2.6

Both have allowed 1 HR

Lorenzen throwing more strikes, Flaherty missing more bats.

Lorenzen also has an issue with the amount of innings he has pitched and we will see if he wears down and if his lack of swing and miss stuff is an issue against the better offenses, if he faces them.

I was addressing your post only indirectly.  If I had to pick, I would pick Flaherty as well, although Flaherty vs. Lorenzen was never a choice Elias had to make as far as I can tell, so I don't see comparisons between the two as particularly useful.  Philadelphia acquired Lorenzen for a Hi A middle infielder roughly equivalent to Issac de Leon.  This is a price the O's could easily have beaten without interfering with the Flaherty trade.  Bottom line is I don't believe the Orioles have enough pitching even with Flaherty - that's the context that I think matters and I remain convinced this was a missed opportunity.