Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

When is the MLB trade deadline 2023? 

The MLB trade deadline this year is 6 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Aug. 1. All deals have to be finalized and submitted to the commissioner's office by then.

Jordan Montgomery for Povich plus ?

https://fansided.com/2023/07/22/mlb-rumors-cardinals-jordan-mongtomery-trade-orioles/

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Thanks 1

This is why you wouldn’t trade for Ohtani 

Potential Shohei Ohtani trades: Baltimore Orioles

Trade #1

Orioles get: Shohei Ohtani
Angels get: OF Heston Kjerstad (No. 4 org prospect, No. 36 overall), INF Joey Ortiz (No. 5 org prospect, No. 62 overall), 2B/OF Connor Norby (No. 6 overall prospect, No. 65 overall), LHP DL Hall (No. 9 org prospect), OF Dylan Beavers (No. 10 overall prospect)

Trade #2

Orioles get: Shohei Ohtani
Angels get: SS Jackson Holliday (No. 1 org prospect, No. 1 overall)

😂 A head start selling Othani on Baltimore long term? He obviously doesn’t know who owns the Orioles.

https://dknetwork.draftkings.com/2023/7/24/23804643/mlb-trade-deadline-shohei-ohtani-rumors-news-angels-sell-latest-updates-package-return-orioles

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

😂 A head start selling Othani on Baltimore long term? He obviously doesn’t know who owns the Orioles.

https://dknetwork.draftkings.com/2023/7/24/23804643/mlb-trade-deadline-shohei-ohtani-rumors-news-angels-sell-latest-updates-package-return-orioles

The second scenario in this srticle is even more ludicrous than the first and involves a straight up Jackson for Ohtani .  Crazy!!  No way Elias does anything like either of these two Angel fanboy fantasies. 

31 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

To be clear, there is no actual rumor in the Ohtani article (except that the team is rumored to have not decided to put Ohtani on the market yet). The packages are completely speculative. There are actual rumors connecting us to Montgomery. 

40 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Thanks for this thread.  I'd be very happy with acquiring Jordan, even at the cost of Povich.  We could use a left hander in the rotation. I suspect the cost could be a bit more than Povich, however.  Maybe add a guy like Billy Cook or even John Rhodes?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

To be clear, there is no actual rumor in the Ohtani article (except that the team is rumored to have not decided to put Ohtani on the market yet). The packages are completely speculative. There are actual rumors connecting us to Montgomery. 

The rumor for Montgomery is the same as for Ohtani. Just Bowden speculation. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I think anyone with just a myopic amount of knowledge about the Orioles knows that there is a less than zero chance that the O’s trade Jackson Holliday. Not even for the brilliance of Ohtani, in no world/reality does that make sense to give up 6 years of the number 1 prospect in the sport for two months of anybody/bodies. 

As great as it would be to have Ohtani for the rest of this season, it’s still just this season when our roster is not fully optimized. I would rather have 6 seasons of Holliday, especially if he can give us anything close to the impact that Gunnar and Adley have. That’s 3 stars/superstars on one team. I would take 4 seasons of that (all 3 together) vs. 2 months of the greatest player in the history of the game (at least in all of our lifetimes).

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I think anyone with just a myopic amount of knowledge about the Orioles knows that there is a less than zero chance that the O’s trade Jackson Holliday. Not even for the brilliance of Ohtani, in no world/reality does that make sense to give up 6 years of the number 1 prospect in the sport for two months of anybody/bodies. 

As great as it would be to have Ohtani for the rest of this season, it’s still just this season when our roster is not fully optimized. I would rather have 6 seasons of Holliday, especially if he can give us anything close to the impact that Gunnar and Adley have. That’s 3 stars/superstars on one team. I would take 4 seasons of that (all 3 together) vs. 2 months of the greatest player in the history of the game (at least in all of our lifetimes).

Most people on here were born before Bonds retired. 

39 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Thanks for this thread.  I'd be very happy with acquiring Jordan, even at the cost of Povich.  We could use a left hander in the rotation. I suspect the cost could be a bit more than Povich, however.  Maybe add a guy like Billy Cook or even John Rhodes?

I would think the Cardinals would want at least one of our guys who is closer to the major leagues at this point.  I don't think Povich and one of Cook/Rhodes gets it done.  But that's just my opinion.  

• Upvote 1

Just my observation and speculation, they're going to need 2 SP from somewhere. Between potential innings limits and wear, I don't think they'll make it through 162 and a potential playoff run. Realistically, I have no expectations that Elias will be willing to part with MiL talent. It's going to be an interesting week.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Most people on here were born before Bonds retired. 

I was alive for all of Bonds career and in IMO for as great as he was (especially on the stuff) he is still not as valuable as Ohtani the player because of Ohtani's unique two way nature. 

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I was alive for all of Bonds career and in IMO for as great as he was (especially on the stuff) he is still not as valuable as Ohtani the player because of Ohtani's unique two way nature. 

The last 3 years Ohtani has been amazing. His fWAR total for those 3 is 8, 9.4, and 6.6 (so far). Bonds had 7 seasons better than Ohtani’s best. That’s not even discussing longevity. Ohtani has been really cool to see. He doesn’t approach the greats right now. Not even close. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

We're pitching starved as an organization. I really don't want to trade what little pitching we have in the minors. Wouldn't St. Louis take a position player prospect or two for Montgomery?

The Cardinals expressed that they are looking for pitching.    Povich in a Montgomery deal wouldn’t faze me.