Help from the farm?

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, deward said:

Westburg is an adequate SS. 

I bet he is.  Lots of questions regarding Westburg before we could put eyes on him.  He’s athletic, moves well, and uses the arm as needed.   There were a lot of questions about his arm.  I’m still not sure but I haven’t seen him not have enough arm on any play.   Looks rangy at 2B and made very athletic sliding catch in foul territory at 3B last night.  DRS and QAA like his defense at both spots in a SSS in early going.  It appears that Westburg’s defense is not an issue and more likely an asset and it wouldn’t surprise me if he played at least an average SS.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I bet he is.  Lots of questions regarding Westburg before we could put eyes on him.  He’s athletic, moves well, and uses the arm as needed.   There were a lot of questions about his arm.  I’m still not sure but I haven’t seen him not have enough arm on any play.   Looks rangy at 2B and made very athletic sliding catch in foul territory at 3B last night.  DRS and QAA like his defense at both spots in a SSS in early going.  It appears that Westburg’s defense is not an issue and more likely an asset and it wouldn’t surprise me if he played at least an average SS.

Positional versatility does have it's advantages and the Orioles aren't the only team that stress it.  I wouldn't play Westburg at SS much, especially if Henderson and Ortiz are available.  But, if a player was injured and you needed to move Jordan over for the rest of the game or for a game or two, I don't think it would be much of a problem.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Maybe tonight, but I wouldn't call Westburg be a reliable backup at SS 

No?  He made 1 error in 33 starts at Norfolk this year. He’s started 156 games at SS in his MiL career.  

He’d probably be below average in terms of range and arm compared to a starting major league SS.  He’s not as good as Mateo typically is (forgetting his recent foibles), or Gunnar, or Ortiz.  But I doubt he’d be “not reliable.”   He’d probably be as good or better than Ryan Flaherty, who frequently subbed at SS when JJ Hardy needed a day off.  And, a better hitter.  

Westburg's sprint speed results, and the good news it implies for middle infield range, are a nice thing to see.

For sure, the rare critiques, as when Fangraphs Longenhagen put a "shift-enabled middle infielder", stick with me because you know all you are getting from club officials and Steve Melewski are spin.

If Gunnar's back thing is a week instead of a day, it could be a moment for Elias to reveal something with actions.

48 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Can't see it.  Stupid X shows up when I click on my desktop and doesn't go away.

Can you summarize?

More to do with yesterdays performance. I edited so you can see it now 

Mayo …3-4 Double , homer 454 feet, 4 RBI

Ortiz …4-4 plus a sac fly ….3 multi hit games in the last 7.

• Upvote 1