Luis DeLeon 2023

Tony-OH

Since he's on my top 30 in the power rankings, I thought he deserved his own thread.

DeLeon, who was signed in December 2021 with left over bonus pool money by the Orioles before the 2022 Signing period, has made as big a jump as anyone on the list.

Ranked as the #43 prospects coming into this season, the 6-foot-3, 175 pound lefty has found the strikezone as his body has matured. In his last outing in Delmarva in which he struck out 8 and allowed just one hit one walk over 5 IP, he hit 95 MPH several times to go along with a decent slider. The arm is quick and there's likely more velocity in the tank for this 20-year old as he fills out.

He's definitely a pitcher to keep an eye on in Delmarva.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Since he's on my top 30 in the power rankings, I thought he deserved his own thread.

DeLeon, who was signed in December 2021 with left over bonus pool money by the Orioles before the 2022 Signing period, has made as big a jump as anyone on the list.

Ranked as the #43 prospects coming into this season, the 6-foot-3, 175 pound lefty has found the strikezone as his body has matured. In his last outing in Delmarva in which he struck out 8 and allowed just one hit one walk over 5 IP, he hit 95 MPH several times to go along with a decent slider. The arm is quick and there's likely more velocity in the tank for this 20-year old as he fills out.

He's definitely a pitcher to keep an eye on in Delmarva.

@Tony-OH Tony is he a starter or a RP moving forward? Seems to have 2 plus pitches in his FB (which I am assuming is a 4S) and SL. Can he throw a CH? Is it too early to ask? Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

@Tony-OH Tony is he a starter or a RP moving forward? Seems to have 2 plus pitches in his FB (which I am assuming is a 4S) and SL. Can he throw a CH? Is it too early to ask? Thanks.

He's certainly going to be developed like a starter. I haven't seen many changes yet so something to keep an eye on.

• Upvote 2

Hopefully guys like this will compare favorably to Astros pitchers like Framber Valdez and Luis Valdez, who have anchored their more recent rotations after the departures of Verlander, Cole, Greinke, et al.  That feels like its the likely plan for Elias on a more long-term basis, for the pitching staff.  Just keep signing a bunch and working with them, and eventually a couple will pop.

• Upvote 2