Should we offer extensions to any of our starting pitchers, either now or in the offseason?

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree what he’s done has been working.  So, we’re just arguing semantics, not what is the right strategy.  

I do feel that pitching remains our weakest link, and needs to improve.  How much we need outside help depends a bit on what you think the arc of Rodriguez and Bradish is.  If you think one is likely to be a legit no. 1 next year and the other a legit no. 2, then maybe  you don’t break the bank to acquire one.  If you’re more skittish about their prospects, or just don’t want to risk being wrong, then maybe you do go all in to get a true TOR guy.

I want to see how the rest of 2023 goes before thinking too hard about this.  But I’ll say this: I’m super-impressed with how fast Rodriguez is coming on now, and Bradish is having an excellent season.  There are some reasons for optimism with respect to both.  

I don’t see what those 2 have to do with anything. Is there some rule against having 3-4 TOR caliber starters?

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see what those 2 have to do with anything. Is there some rule against having 3-4 TOR caliber starters?

It’s a matter of where to best invest our resources.  Acquiring existing TOR starters isn’t cheap, in terms of dollars and/or trade chips.  So, you need to assess how big the need is and weigh it against the cost.  

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s a matter of where to best invest our resources.  Acquiring existing TOR starters isn’t cheap, in terms of dollars and/or trade chips.  So, you need to assess how big the need is and weigh it against the cost.  

We have a boatload of resources on the position player side of things and very limited resources on the pitching side of things. In fact, we have so many resources that they literally have to trade guys so that they don’t risk losing players for nothing.

We have basically no money committed to this team for the next several years.

In other words, we have tons of resources to do this and it does absolutely nothing to hurt the long term of the team. 

Edited by Sports Guy

On 8/17/2023 at 2:25 PM, Sports Guy said:

We have a boatload of resources on the position player side of things and very limited resources on the pitching side of things. In fact, we have so many resources that they literally have to trade guys so that they don’t risk losing players for nothing.

We have basically no money committed to this team for the next several years.

In other words, we have tons of resources to do this and it does absolutely nothing to hurt the long term of the team. 

I don’t disagree with anything you say here.  But TOR starters are really hard to come by.  If Rodriguez and Bradish turn out as well as we hope, the price you’d be willing to pay for a third leg of the stool would be a bit less than you’d be willing to pay if you had no TOR starters.  That’s all I’m saying.