Tyler Wells closer if Bautista is hurt??

csgordos

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Coloumbe is our best reliever if Bautista is out. Of course, for me, that means to keep him for the highest leverage situations, which could be the 6th inning or the 9th inning.

Are we just saying hyperbolic things for reaction now? You don’t think Coulombe’s K/9 might be higher than Cano because he’s used in match up situations against LH? Coulombe has been very good in his role this year, but to say he’s better than Cano is silly. 

And hell no to Wells as a closer. Way too many HRs. 

Edited by waroriole

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Are we just saying hyperbolic things for reaction now? You don’t think Coulombe’s K/9 might be higher than Cano because he’s used in match up situations against LH? Coulombe has been very good in his role this year, but to say he’s better than Cano is silly. 

I guess you haven’t looked at their statcast pages?

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I guess you haven’t looked at their statcast pages?

Not until just now. I’m not saying Coulombe isn’t having a good season. He is. In a very small sample of 39 IP. Stuff wise, Cano is superior. He’s the one I’d trust more at the moment. If he goes into another slump, all bets are off. 

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Not until just now. I’m not saying Coulombe isn’t having a good season. He is. In a very small sample of 39 IP. Stuff wise, Cano is superior. He’s the one I’d trust more at the moment. If he goes into another slump, all bets are off. 

Yes Cano has more IP than him, partly because he has been healthy all year.

But most numbers favor Coulombe. Cano’s walk rate is better although that is largely because of the first month.

In fact, if you take out the first month for Cano, the numbers still look good but not nearly as good.

His K numbers have dropped significantly and he is now a pitch to contact guy. I don’t like that against the better offenses that he will face.

DC misses more bats, gets more Ks, allows softer contact, etc…just trust him More right now and he’s doing it Vs lefties and righties.

And btw, if you like Cano more, you should want him in the highest leverage situations possible.

Our best reliever in 2014 was Andrew Miller. Buck used him everywhere in the playoffs. That’s how our best reliever(s) need to be used this year.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes Cano has more IP than him, partly because he has been healthy all year.

But most numbers favor Coulombe. Cano’s walk rate is better although that is largely because of the first month.

In fact, if you take out the first month for Cano, the numbers still look good but not nearly as good.

His K numbers have dropped significantly and he is now a pitch to contact guy. I don’t like that against the better offenses that he will face.

DC misses more bats, gets more Ks, allows softer contact, etc…just trust him More right now and he’s doing it Vs lefties and righties.

And btw, if you like Cano more, you should want him in the highest leverage situations possible.

Our best reliever in 2014 was Andrew Miller. Buck used him everywhere in the playoffs. That’s how our best reliever(s) need to be used this year.

Why not split the difference and matching up Cano against mostly RHB and Coulombe against mostly LHB? Coulombe does not have as bad splits as Cano, but Cano is better vs RHB than Coulombe (.512 vs .626). Platoon them and you get one guy with expected OPS in the .500's (not too far off Bautista's .460) and get the most out of both guys. Since neither one is Bautista level, committee may be more effective than one full time closer. 

27 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I think it’s arguable.  Coulombe has a .626 OPSA vs. RHB, .565 vs. LHB.  His K rate is 31.5% vs. RHB, 29.2% vs. LHB.   So, your premise that his numbers are the result of lefty matchups appears unsupported.  

For me the biggest question is what Cano are we getting?  The guy was unhittable through May 17, then had an .869 OPSA from May 19 - July 1.   He’s looked better in August, .416 OPSA.   If we’re getting the August version, then Cano can be my closer any day.  If we’re getting the mid-May to July version, I don’t want him anywhere near the role.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Why not split the difference and matching up Cano against mostly RHB and Coulombe against mostly LHB? Coulombe does not have as bad splits as Cano, but Cano is better vs RHB than Coulombe (.512 vs .626). Platoon them and you get one guy with expected OPS in the .500's (not too far off Bautista's .460) and get the most out of both guys. Since neither one is Bautista level, committee may be more effective than one full time closer. 

The 3 batter rule kind of negates this plus it would be wasting these guys.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The 3 batter rule kind of negates this plus it would be wasting these guys.

I don't mean literally matching up from batter to batter. Rather, if there are mostly RHB's coming up, use Cano. If there are mostly LHB's use Coulombe. Try to protect Cano from LHB's and Coulombe from RHB's. I think that is better than a full time 9th inning guy completely ignoring matchups. If you have two or more RHB's coming up in the 9th I wouldn't hesitate to use Cano even if I think Coulombe is the better overall pitcher. 

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't mean literally matching up from batter to batter. Rather, if there are mostly RHB's coming up, use Cano. If there are mostly LHB's use Coulombe. Try to protect Cano from LHB's and Coulombe from RHB's. I think that is better than a full time 9th inning guy completely ignoring matchups. If you have two or more RHB's coming up in the 9th I wouldn't hesitate to use Cano even if I think Coulombe is the better overall pitcher. 

I mean sure but you need to use your best pitchers in the highest leverage situations..that could occur in the 6th or 7th inning.

If they are good, they should be able to match up vs lefties and righties. Im not worried about that.

Honestly, my bigger issue is the starting pitching. Bautista allowed us to make it is a 6 inning game in the playoffs. Now that’s gone. Now we have to lean more on the starters potentially and I think that’s very problematic, especially where these guys likely are come late Sept.

GRod May be the bullpen X factor but again, that cha be in roles may be an issue for his arm.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean sure but you need to use your best pitchers in the highest leverage situations..that could occur in the 6th or 7th inning.

If they are good, they should be able to match up vs lefties and righties. Im not worried about that.

Honestly, my bigger issue is the starting pitching. Bautista allowed us to make it is a 6 inning game in the playoffs. Now that’s gone. Now we have to lean more on the starters potentially and I think that’s very problematic, especially where these guys likely are come late Sept.

GRod May be the bullpen X factor but again, that cha be in roles may be an issue for his arm.

Cano has a 200 point differential. Coulombe's are not as bad but I still think it wouldn't make sense to expose him to 3 RHB, for example. With Felix he is under .500 no matter who is hitting but we don't have that luxury any more. 

I am intrigued with the Grayson option. Moving to bullpen might help keep his innings down, and it looks like Means could step in to his spot. Then again Geayson has pitched well matched up against other aces. Hate to lose that.