Rangers, Jones agree to Minor League deal

Palmoripken

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3892693

Released by the Los Angeles Dodgers, Andruw Jones will have the opportunity to try to resurrect his career with the Texas Rangers.

Several media outlets reported Sunday that Texas will sign Jones to a minor league deal that will pay him $500,000 if he makes the major league team. He also will have the chance to make $1 million in incentives.

Jones

Jones

Jones reportedly turned down an offer from the New York Yankees to compete for an outfield spot. A source told the New York Post that Jones picked the Rangers so he could work with batting coach Rudy Jaramillo.

"He's certainly been a superstar for quite a few years," Rangers manager Ron Washington said, according to MLB.com. "These past few years have been down for him, but I like the fact that he brings 10 Gold Gloves, he's a winner and he fits well into our clubhouse. He has something to prove. We've got him in camp now, we'll see where he goes from here."

Heralded as the answer to the Dodgers' power-hitting void when he signed his rich two-year, $36.2 million contract in December 2007, Jones was injured part of last season and was mostly ineffective otherwise, hitting only .158 with three home runs and 14 RBIs in 75 games.

The 31-year-old center fielder reported to spring training overweight, then was booed roundly by fans as he struggled at the plate during the season. He had knee surgery in May and finished the season on the bench as the Dodgers won the NL West and beat the Chicago Cubs in the NL divisional series before losing to Philadelphia in the NL Championship Series.

Jones asked to be traded after that and the Dodgers tried, but found no takers. The Dodgers owe Jones $22.1 million, which he'll receive over the next six years.

When the Dodgers added Manny Ramirez in a trade deadline deal July 31, that left Jones with minimal opportunities. But with the staggering performance by Ramirez (.396 with 17 homers and 53 RBIs in 53 games) and the fine work of fellow outfielders Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier, Jones was hardly missed.

Jones came to Los Angeles as a five-time All-Star who had won 10 straight Gold Gloves with the Atlanta Braves and as one of 10 players in baseball history to hit 300 homers before the age of 30. He had 342, tying him with Mel Ott and Henry Aaron for the sixth-youngest player to reach that milestone.

-Wow talk about falling a long way. It's amazing how much he's declined in the last couple years. Remember him when he wasn't even 20 hitting home runs in the World Series for the Braves.

What happened to this guy' date=' how did he fall so fast so soon?[/quote']

Reminds me of how Juan Gonzalez dropped off the face of the earth.

Of course I have some suspicions about why Gonzalez did....have never heard any steroid rumors relative to Jones.

MINOR league deal??? My, how the mighty have fallen!

Yeah he just got a 30 mill for 2 years just last year. Someone brought up Gonzales though. Didn't Juan Gone have injury problems? I've looked at Jones' stats and he seems to been a consistent 150 game a year guy since he became a regular. He did have that really bad contract year in 07 which could have destroyed his confidence.

What happened to this guy' date=' how did he fall so fast so soon?[/quote']It appeared he took his talent for granted, got lazy, fat and slow, quit working at it, and quit respecting himself and the game. In a word.

It appeared he took his talent for granted, got lazy, fat and slow, quit working at it, and quit respecting himself and the game. In a word.

This is pretty much the only possible explanation. There are some types of players who don't age well (fat unathletic power hitting 1B/DH/corner outfielders for example). That kind of explains Juan Gonzalez (if I'm not mistaken, he was a left fielder). But Gold Glove winning center fielders with power as well as athleticism? I mean sure, a guy like Juan Pierre isn't going to do much at age 35. But if you look at guys like Mike Cameron, Randy Winn (who could play CF for many teams in MLB)...

This is pretty much the only possible explanation. There are some types of players who don't age well (fat unathletic power hitting 1B/DH/corner outfielders for example). That kind of explains Juan Gonzalez (if I'm not mistaken, he was a left fielder). But Gold Glove winning center fielders with power as well as athleticism? I mean sure, a guy like Juan Pierre isn't going to do much at age 35. But if you look at guys like Mike Cameron, Randy Winn (who could play CF for many teams in MLB)...

Jones amazed me.... the way he so easily played CF. Like that one catch by Adam Jones where he blew a bubble while running a long drive down. The ease. The way it was just so natural to them. Andruw may have taken his immense talents for granted... didn't put in the work and effort that it takes to KEEP on producing in the MFLs.... just an opinion.

Archived