Why Kyle Gibson might be resigned

RZNJ

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

The O's have five strong starters now.   Bradish and GRod probably improve next season.  Means, if things go right, will return to what he was but be better because he has a better team supporting him.   Kremer IMO is pretty close to his ceiling but that is really very good when I look as his last 5 month of the regular season.

Wells is very good for 100+ innings.   What Holt and company need to do is make that 100+ inning at the end of he season instead of the beginning.

And I think they will add someone that can start.

Wait, so now Wells is a good starter? I thought you now believed he has to go to the pen? 

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But he’s clearly putting him in the rotation with that post.

Seems like he’s putting him in for half a season, which he wants to be the second half.  That’s tricky to do, and means you need someone for the first half anyway.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Seems like he’s putting him in for half a season, which he wants to be the second half.  That’s tricky to do, and means you need someone for the first half anyway.   

Well yea, it’s a bad idea. 

If you end up needing him because of injuries or bad performance, so be it but you don’t enter the offseason with the thought, well we have half a starter.

It will be curious to see what his market is.  I’d love to have him as a depth signing (#6) ONLY IF we were comfortable jettisoning him when a McDermott/Povich/Trade became ready/available OR the performance drops.  Saying that, I can’t see this FO doing that.  I won’t be surprised if they sign him, but I sure won’t be happy with the signing.  

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If you end up needing him because of injuries or bad performance, so be it but you don’t enter the offseason with the thought, well we have half a starter.

I find it frustrating.  I really like Wells.  He seems like he should have the endurance to get through a season — he’s a big guy, doesn’t seem like a max effort thrower, and he’s pitch-efficient.  And, just maybe, he’ll overcome the endurance problem.  But it would be very imprudent to count on it given his track record.   

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Might not be terrible if they think one of the guys in AAA will be ready by the second half.  
Not ideal by any means, but not terrible.  He’s going into his age 29 season and has shown improvement each year.  There is reason to expect a slight improvement in production and durability next year.  His BB9 & HR9 #s were higher than the last two years, if those improve I can see him pitching 150ip next year.  I’d take a 113 ERA+ from my #5.   With all that said, in a perfect world id like to have him pitch 90-100 innings of dominant relief because we brought in a significant rotation upgrade.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I find it frustrating.  I really like Wells.  He seems like he should have the endurance to get through a season — he’s a big guy, doesn’t seem like a max effort thrower, and he’s pitch-efficient.  And, just maybe, he’ll overcome the endurance problem.  But it would be very imprudent to count on it given his track record.   

It’s really all three years.  He couldn’t make it through the season when he was a reliever as well.   Lots of big strong guys hurt there arms.  On the bright side he hasn’t needed surgery.  On the downside there must be a physical reason why his arm seems to wear out mid season each year.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It’s really all three years.  He couldn’t make it through the season when he was a reliever as well.   Lots of big strong guys hurt there arms.  On the bright side he hasn’t needed surgery.  On the downside there must be a physical reason why his arm seems to wear out mid season each year.

Yeah, I can’t really explain it, because the drop-off was very sudden all three years, too.  I’m always leery of assuming that just because a guy has had physical problems 2-3 years in a row, that he’ll always have them.   But, you sure can’t assume he won’t have them.  And Means is another guy who’s never gotten through a season without some health interruption.

Well still has an option next year, right? If so, I think he can factor in as both bullpen and rotation depth. For me, he starts in the pen, but if players go down and a SP is needed, he can go down to AAA for a week or two to get stretched out and then come back up in the rotation. (Or be stretched out in the majors though that would strain the pen for a couple outings). He may also be needed to sporadically start to give Means a blow as I don't expect him to be able to go beyond 120ish innings next year. 

I'd have Hall and Wells in the pen. Irvin as the long-man and #6 starter as needed. Bradish, Grayson, Means and Kremer are 4/5 of the rotation. You just need one more and I HOPE it's someone with higher upside than Gibson. I served his purpose and was a solid innings eater, but I'm looking for more now in 2024. 

I'd really like to see the Orioles add a SP at or near the top of the rotation and 2 strong bullpen arms. I also wouldn't mind a depth sign of a veteran SP to a minor league deal with an opt out somewhere in the June timeline. I'm not all that confident in any minor leaguer being ready if there's an injury at the start of the year, but a few months in buys a bit more time. 

14 hours ago, RZNJ said:

192 innings.    He’s not great but he wasn’t bad and he provided what they wanted and needed.    On a staff where the top 3 is probably Bradish, GRod, and Means,  he still slots in along with Kremer for a stable 4-5.    This would allow Irvin to be a long man and keep Wells and Hall in the pen.   It also requires no prospects and a short term financial commitment.   I know everyone wants that #1 or #2 starter but I don’t see it happening.   We would still be going into next season with a stronger rotation than 2022 considering GRod being over his growing pains and Means being available from the start.   This still allows for an in season acquisition (not that I would get my hopes up).   

God no. The Orioles should be adding an above average starting pitcher, not a below average starting pitcher. Plenty of resources to do so. We want a guy who's good at getting outs and preventing hits/runs. Gibson is not that. 

A 5.00 ERA innings eater isn't what we need when we have guys like Wells and Irvin, who should be projected outside our starting 5, who have shown they can do better than that. We have the depth. We have the floor. We want to raise the ceiling. 

32 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Might not be terrible if they think one of the guys in AAA will be ready by the second half.  
Not ideal by any means, but not terrible.  He’s going into his age 29 season and has shown improvement each year.  There is reason to expect a slight improvement in production and durability next year.  His BB9 & HR9 #s were higher than the last two years, if those improve I can see him pitching 150ip next year.  I’d take a 113 ERA+ from my #5.   With all that said, in a perfect world id like to have him pitch 90-100 innings of dominant relief because we brought in a significant rotation upgrade.  

No, it’s terrible.

First of all, Wells has his own issues even outside of the durability stuff, so you don’t even know if the 100 innings would be worth it.

Secondly, they don’t have 1 starter where you enter the season saying, this guy should be in the rotation this year. You can’t even remotely rely on that.

The mindset has got to change on how to build a team now. 

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

No, it’s terrible.

First of all, Wells has his own issues even outside of the durability stuff, so you don’t even know if the 100 innings would be worth it.

Secondly, they don’t have 1 starter where you enter the season saying, this guy should be in the rotation this year. You can’t even remotely rely on that.

I don’t understand the second point.  We aren’t saying Bradish and Rodriguez should be in our rotation?