MASN TV viewership has big increase

Going Underground

18 hours ago, Number5 said:

The last voice on the National Beer commercial sounds like Chuck Thompson.

Pretty sure it is.  

"Ain't the beer cold!" became the title of Thompson's autobiography, in which he described the story behind the exclamation:

For years in my game broadcasts I had used the expression, 'Ain't the beer cold!' when things were going especially well for the home team. I got that phrase from Bob Robertson, a spotter who worked with me on Baltimore Colts football games (that were sponsored by the makers of National Beer). Eventually, I received lots of mail from people in the Carolinas, the area sometimes referred to as the Bible Belt. The listeners felt they shouldn't have to put up with my ad libs about beer with all the beer advertisements they were already exposed to, and I thought they had a legitimate beef. So, I stopped using the line sometime in the 1970s.

9 hours ago, SemperFi said:

Pretty sure it is.  

"Ain't the beer cold!" became the title of Thompson's autobiography, in which he described the story behind the exclamation:

For years in my game broadcasts I had used the expression, 'Ain't the beer cold!' when things were going especially well for the home team. I got that phrase from Bob Robertson, a spotter who worked with me on Baltimore Colts football games (that were sponsored by the makers of National Beer). Eventually, I received lots of mail from people in the Carolinas, the area sometimes referred to as the Bible Belt. The listeners felt they shouldn't have to put up with my ad libs about beer with all the beer advertisements they were already exposed to, and I thought they had a legitimate beef. So, I stopped using the line sometime in the 1970s.

He stopped using it in games, maybe, but when I saw him driving his Lincoln Continental on the Beltway one time in the mid 90s he had a license plate frame that said "Ain't the Beer Cold".

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1