Trade target: Tyler Glasnow

Just Regular

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Of course.   That's common sense.  They should predicate their team building efforts on their intention of competing against the division.

I mean what else should they concern themselves with?  How they match up with the Monstars?

With three wild cards in play why worry unduly about the Rays?

You can't be afraid to make a deal in division.

That's the nonsense Peter used to pull, same with not trading with the Nats.

If the best deal is with a division rival you make that deal.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

With three wild cards in play why worry unduly about the Rays?

You can't be afraid to make a deal in division.

That's the nonsense Peter used to pull, same with not trading with the Nats.

If the best deal is with a division rival you make that deal.

I won't say you never trade within the division, but certainly it is a consideration to be had.

You've been adamant that the team may need to "overpay" to bring in a TOR through trade.  That may well be true, but I would be much less inclined to do that if it was within the division for obvious reasons.

Just now, Pickles said:

I won't say you never trade within the division, but certainly it is a consideration to be had.

You've been adamant that the team may need to "overpay" to bring in a TOR through trade.  That may well be true, but I would be much less inclined to do that if it was within the division for obvious reasons.

I've been adamant about it?

I would not agree with that.  More like I think Elias would consider it an overpayment.

I find it interesting that despite the copious amount of data that shows even well regarded prospects often underwhelm at the ML level how highly some of the fanbase rate seemingly each and every one the O's have.

Just make the best deal.  It's OK if both teams "win" a trade.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've been adamant about it?

I would not agree with that.  More like I think Elias would consider it an overpayment.

I find it interesting that despite the copious amount of data that shows even well regarded prospects often underwhelm at the ML level how highly some of the fanbase rate seemingly each and every one the O's have.

Just make the best deal.  It's OK if both teams "win" a trade.

You've definitely argued, and continue it here, that the Orioles should/need to make trades, and that Elias should be more aggressive in seeking them out, and be willing to "lose" value, or at least not "win," the trade if it made the major league team better or more balanced. Is that a missummary?  

The fail rate of prospects can be used equally well as an argument for why one shouldn't trade them. 

If the Orioles can find win/win trades that improve their roster then they should definitely do that.  I think though, sans a crystal ball, that what might appear to be a win/win trade can turn into a lose/win trade very easily, and you shouldn't really go into a trade situation accepting that you'll lose value in a neutral outcome.

I'll admit that I fully understand your point.  But I expect the Orioles to be a lot more risk-averse than the average OH position.  I expect more Hernaiz/Irvin deals, perhaps up a step in caliber, but not near the top tier.

Personally, I'm ok with it.  I understand a lot of people aren't.

• 3 weeks later...

Rays beat guy Marc Topkin just now on Brian Kenny's show gave the take he would be surprised if they DON'T trade Glasnow.

Topkin also thought as the Rule 5 and non-tender deadlines come in the next week or two there'd be some actions as they move to rein in some what could be a team payroll 50% higher than their previous norms if they keep all their good players.

Whether it is the Rays, Guardians or other rich talent orgs, before Rule 5 control points there can be small transaction flurries where they give their 40-man guys for younger guys from other orgs that don't have to be rostered yet.

I don't think Elias' group is really there yet with Haskin, McGough, etc, but in the coming years I believe we'll see us do some of that kind of transaction too.