RZNJ

Your Choice For FA Pitcher  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Your Choice For FA Pitcher

• Sonny Gray 4/90
    • Eduardo Rodriguez 4/82
    • Marcus Stroman 2/44

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/30/23 at 21:33

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can make a Gunnar pick when you save 300K on your first round pick.  Gunnar signed for ~600K over slot.

Sure, or you could save that money during rounds 4-10 as well.   Last year they saved about 450K from round 3-10 and signed Forret for about that much as the 14th rounder, I believe.

On 11/10/2023 at 12:42 PM, Sports Guy said:

Stroman pretty easily 

Stroman hasn't thrown 140IP+ since 2021. 138 and 136 in the past two years. I'd rather have Wells for 100IP and save 22M dollars a year. His statcast data is pretty awful and he doesn't strike people out. If the argument is that it's the only 2-year deal, I understand that, but I still wouldn't be interested in him for that price.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Malike said:

Stroman hasn't thrown 140IP+ since 2021. 138 and 136 in the past two years. I'd rather have Wells for 100IP and save 22M dollars a year. His statcast data is pretty awful and he doesn't strike people out. If the argument is that it's the only 2-year deal, I understand that, but I still wouldn't be interested in him for that price.  

Wells’ career says he can’t go past 100 innings.

Only Stromans last 2 years says that. I would much rather take that gamble.

His statcast numbers have been pretty mediocre for most of his career and he has been very successful although the barrel% is normally excellent.

K rate isn’t high( however saying he doesn’t strike guys out is completely wrong) but he gets tons of grounders. He also doesn’t give up homers.

Honestly, I think the biggest concern is the increased BB rate in 2023. It was way higher than the rest of his career. Is that a sign of things to come or a blip in the radar?

His FIP has been 3.9 Or lower his whole career. His ERA has been under 4 in 5 of the last 6 years.  In the last 2 years of lesser innings, he has a 4.7 fWAR and 2023 was one of the best FIP’s of his career and his fWAR was 2.7.  Wells has a career fWAR of 2.5…combined.

If I can get a sub 4 ERA guy with Stroman’s credentials on a 2 year deal and I’m not losing a pick, that’s always the guy I sign vs 3-5 year deals for more money (AAV and overall) who aren’t that much better or that much more reliable, if they are those things at all.

Edited by Sports Guy

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are.still banking on just a.few players to define your draft.

Elias has done well with his 1st round supplementals (Westburg and Beavers) and his early round 2nd picks when he’s had them (Henderson, Haskin, Norby, Wagner).  I like his chances picking in that range and think he should not hesitate to go overslot there if necessary.   

Westburg (30th pick 2020) - slot

Beavers (33rd pick 2022) - $115 k under slot

Henderson (42nd pick 2019) - $529 k over slot

Haskin (39th pick 2020) - slot

Norby (41st pick 2021) - 113 k under slot

Wagner (42nd pick 2022) - $39 k over slot