What about Mayo?

RZNJ

2 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

The same way he plays 1B. Some players need to move on. My point is, you're saying he's blocked by 1B. How, when the FO seems not to be seriously considering him at 1B?

We're in agreement that someone or a couple someones need to be off the roster for him to get playing time.

The FO is going to learn that, barring a collapse or injury from one of the other guys that Mayo is going to have to move, whether it be first or RF..or both.

That said, those guys are also preventing him from being able to DH as well.

Urias is a back up guy that will play sparingly. That isn’t someone that is blocking him.  Thats the point.

55 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes, I could see that in the future but that isn’t the set up now because of the existing vet bats.

Right, I see your point. Even if Urias wasn’t around, Mayo would still need to get the rest of his games at 1B/DH. And Hays/Mountcastle/O’Hearn are already going to cede RHP ABs to Cowser.

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Right, I see your point. Even if Urias wasn’t around, Mayo would still need to get the rest of his games at 1B/DH. And Hays/Mountcastle/O’Hearn are already going to cede RHP ABs to Cowser.

Right. 

Either Holliday and Mayo aren’t here at the same time or one or 2 of those vets are traded.

If you could give Mayo 400+ at bats right now, you bring him up but you can’t. He has to play other positions to get those at bats and he can’t play them with those guys here. 

This is why I said all offseason that we needed to deal from some of this depth.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Right. 

Either Holliday and Mayo aren’t here at the same time or one or 2 of those vets are traded.

If you could give Mayo 400+ at bats right now, you bring him up but you can’t. He has to play other positions to get those at bats and he can’t play them with those guys here. 

This is why I said all offseason that we needed to deal from some of this depth.

Or we play the game. Let Mayo sit and play the Gunnar route. Bring him up at the second half of the long grueling season and prep him for ROY for 2025. Dude will be 23 then. Perfect timing. 

Just now, Explosivo said:

Or we play the game. Let Mayo sit and play the Gunnar route. Bring him up at the second half of the long grueling season and prep him for ROY for 2025. Dude will be 23 then. Perfect timing. 

Well yea..obviously you send him down but we are talking about how can he get at bats right now.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well yea..obviously you send him down but we are talking about how can he get at bats right now.

Well, we can’t this year and that’s ok. But one injury away and he’s ready. Work on the defense, and be ready. Simple as that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Right. 

Do you have ideas of who to move?  Mountcastle?  Westburg?   O'Hearn probably stays because he is a lefty.  

I think you could move Mountcastle because he cant play anything but first and DH.  Someone might give us a bullpen arm for him.  

6 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Do you have ideas of who to move?  Mountcastle?  Westburg?   O'Hearn probably stays because he is a lefty.  

I think you could move Mountcastle because he cant play anything but first and DH.  Someone might give us a bullpen arm for him.  

From a pure perspective of who I expect to have the better year, I would rather move Santander vs Mountcastle (I think Mounty could have a really nice season this year)

But for a team standpoint, AS may mean more in the locker room and obviously the play on the field should be good enough.

End of the day though, I don’t really care which one they move but I would be looking to move at least one of them and either Mateo or Urias.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

From a pure perspective of who I expect to have the better year, I would rather move Santander vs Mountcastle (I think Mounty could have a really nice season this year)

But for a team standpoint, AS may mean more in the locker room and obviously the play on the field should be good enough.

End of the day though, I don’t really care which one they move but I would be looking to move at least one of them and either Mateo or Urias.

I can see moving Santander.  We seem to have two guys right now who could fill his spot.  And he could probably bring a real good bullpen arm and maybe another lottery pick.  What do you think we could get for Santander?  

He is only average at defense but he is a solid switch hitter with power.  What is his value?

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

I can see moving Santander.  We seem to have two guys right now who could fill his spot.  And he could probably bring a real good bullpen arm and maybe another lottery pick.  What do you think we could get for Santander?  

He is only average at defense but he is a solid switch hitter with power.  What is his value?

If the plan is to move Santander why wait this long?

Wouldn't it have been easier to get a solid return during the offseason?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the plan is to move Santander why wait this long?

Wouldn't it have been easier to get a solid return during the offseason?

It does seem late to do a trade but Elias has done spring training trades before.  I remember the two relief guys to Miami.  

They probably keep Santander and let him walk at the end of the year.  Maybe give him a offer to try to get a draft pick.  I get the feeling we are going into the year with him.

But you could say that Cowser, Stowers and Kjerstad could figure out a way to fill his spot.  

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

It does seem late to do a trade but Elias has done spring training trades before.  I remember the two relief guys to Miami.  

They probably keep Santander and let him walk at the end of the year.  Maybe give him a offer to try to get a draft pick.  I get the feeling we are going into the year with him.

But you could say that Cowser, Stowers and Kjerstad could figure out a way to fill his spot.  

Yea, the Tanner Scott deal for Miami.  Guess it depends on how Fabian pans out.  I'd sure rather have Scott than Fabian atm.

17 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I could see anything from prospects to ML pitching that helps now. It really depends on how each team views different needs.

I do think there's perhaps a 10-20% chance something like the Tanner Scott trade happens in the next 10 days.

If Ryan Mountcastle didn't now live with Adley Rutschman, I'd wonder if he had the perfect combination of actual trade value and not being a Mike Elias handpicked guy.

Preller's hustling to save his job and still has a bunch of holes on his roster, particularly in the position player group.