Jackson Holliday spring training watch

Frobby

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He doesn’t have to.  He already did.

Did he?  After Westburg joined the team, he had 226 PA, Urias had 201.   Looks to me like Urias started 42 games at 3B after Westburg joined the team, while Westburg started 18 games there.  Most of Westburg’s work was at 2B (35 starts), and Urias played very little there (4 starts) once Westburg joined the team.  I’d say it’s pretty unclear what the roles will be between Westburg and Urias this year.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Did he?  After Westburg joined the team, he had 226 PA, Urias had 201.   Looks to me like Urias started 42 games at 3B after Westburg joined the team, while Westburg started 18 games there.  Most of Westburg’s work was at 2B (35 starts), and Urias played very little there (4 starts) once Westburg joined the team.  I’d say it’s pretty unclear what the roles will be between Westburg and Urias this year.  

Agree to disagree.  Westburg is not a part time player on this team.  130 starts somewhere this season.  Holliday also starts 120+ if he makes OD roster.   Their playing time comes at the expense of Urias.   

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Agree to disagree.  Westburg is not a part time player on this team.  130 starts somewhere this season.  Holliday also starts 120+ if he makes OD roster.   Their playing time comes at the expense of Urias.   

Depends on how Westburg plays defense at 3B and how Holliday plays at 2B.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

If you don't get, you don't get it.

Mullins had to pull up and would have caught it himself. Westburg is fine, Holliday will be at least a level or two above him. Over the course of their careers. 

Edited by sevastras

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Holliday being who he is and now part the equation makes things much different than last year when Frazier was part of it.

Does the fact that Westburg started all 3 playoffs games last year and Urias only started 1 mean anything to you?

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That may turn out to be correct, and I’d probably be happy if it did because that would mean both Westburg and Holliday played well.  I just don’t think it’s foreordained.  And by the way, Holliday’s at bats are filling the Frazier slot, which totaled 455 PA, so they don’t mostly come from Urias. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Depends on how Westburg plays defense at 3B and how Holliday plays at 2B.

LOL.  Of course it depends on how they play.   There’s not a good reason to suggest either player will be below average at either positions.   

1. Both were legitimate shortstops in the minors.

2. Westburg has 91 games started in the minors at 3B and a OAA of +3 at minimal time at 3B in the majors.

3. Holliday has 25 games started at 2B in the minors.   Everyone thinks he’ll be a plus 2B.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That may turn out to be correct, and I’d probably be happy if it did because that would mean both Westburg and Holliday played well.  I just don’t think it’s foreordained.  And by the way, Holliday’s at bats are filling the Frazier slot, which totaled 455 PA, so they don’t mostly come from Urias. 

Which player is most likely to lose AB’s if Holliday makes the team?

2 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I think Holliday being who he is and now part the equation makes things much different than last year when Frazier was part of it.

Does the fact that Westburg started all 3 playoffs games last year and Urias only started 1 mean anything to you?

As to the first point, I’m a simple man.  If Holliday plays better than Frazier, he’ll probably play more than Frazier.  If he doesn’t, he probably won’t.   Overall, Frazier probably played a bit more than he should have due to his “veteran” status.  There’s no saying that Holliday is guaranteed to play more; he may if he earns it.  

As to the second point, yes the fact that Westburg started all three playoff games is a good sign for him.  But I still think the guys who play best will play most. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As to the first point, I’m a simple man.  If Holliday plays better than Frazier, he’ll probably play more than Frazier.  If he doesn’t, he probably won’t.   Overall, Frazier probably played a bit more than he should have due to his “veteran” status.  There’s no saying that Holliday is guaranteed to play more; he may if he earns it.  

As to the second point, yes the fact that Westburg started all three playoff games is a good sign for him.  But I still think the guys who play best will play most. 

If Mateo hits all year like he did last April he’ll play in 130+ games.  Is that what you’re predicting?   Of course, I’m basing this on Westburg and Holliday hitting like I think they will.

Let me add.  I think my thoughts reflect those of Elias.

Edited by RZNJ

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You mean we didn’t sign Buck this off season and the guys that have the most games played will be the ones who play the most games?  Weird concept to think the best players get the most playing time. 
Next you are going to tell me that if Holliday struggles to start the season, he shouldn’t be sent down despite the bemoaning of some on here. 

23 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Mullins had to pull up and would have caught it himself. Westburg is fine, Holliday will be at least a level or two above him. Over the course of their careers. 

What about to begin the 2024 season?