Willard's Countdown

I really can't see Willard having much time left for Maryland. He just doesn't appear to be the recruiter that the program needs. This season has been a disaster, and there really is no help on the way. I can't imagine that Derrick Queen wants anything to do with this team. 

Why is it that Maryland can't seem to find a good coach who is also a good recruiter?

Queen committed 2 weeks ago to the Terps. Now who returns next year. What is killing then is NIL. Seems that has been helped. 
They also have a G coming, 6’4” , Malachi I think is his name

On 3/4/2024 at 8:43 PM, Grady said:

Queen committed 2 weeks ago to the Terps. Now who returns next year. What is killing then is NIL. Seems that has been helped. 
They also have a G coming, 6’4” , Malachi I think is his name

Ah... I stand corrected in that part.

Still don't think Willard should stay. 🙂

On 3/4/2024 at 8:12 PM, Jagwar said:

I really can't see Willard having much time left for Maryland. He just doesn't appear to be the recruiter that the program needs. This season has been a disaster, and there really is no help on the way. I can't imagine that Derrick Queen wants anything to do with this team. 

Why is it that Maryland can't seem to find a good coach who is also a good recruiter?

I don't think Md can afford to get rid of him a this point-the buyout is 90% of income and he has 5 more years to go-roughly ~$22m  The Turgeon buyout was much more pro-Md with a set $5m.  Evans did not negotiate a very strong contract for Md. 

Willard is a strong defensive coach but his teams play a very low tempo (~300th) which is not attractive to ranked recruits.  He got Queen who is a good passer in the high post and out of 2X which will help as Reese does not see the court well, it also gives you 5 more post fouls if Reese stays.  All the top recuits next year are signed, Palmer is a ~125 guy not known as a shooter.

He has to turn to the portal where his track record other than Young has been poor.  He has to get a starting 1 and 2 and needs to fill the bench with productive offensive options.  He may need to fill as many as 6 more slots depending on who leaves.  Unless he gets a plug and play 1 next year is going to be very difficult, at this point bottom of the BIG. 

This year was a regression, attendance and booster relations are a huge problem.  The X is roughly 70% full for BIG games, students have to be BRIBED every game to attend with a free tshirt offer.  Frankly one of the biggest issues is that Willard is just not liked, the often quoted "snarky attitude" and constant complaints/blames/excuses.  An unliked coach, attendance/revenue declining, bad product on the court is a nasty combination for booster/NIL money.  

JAG-to your last point I don't think they really looked, there was no real search committee.  Gary ran it with a few older Md players and Tapscott/Dunphy coaching buddies of Willard's dad. They got a guy with no remarkable recruiting history who is now having trouble recruiting.  I think they were looking for a coach that would be successful based on their experience, in their era as opposed to a vastly different 2024.  

• 2 weeks later...