Winter 2024 40-Man Additions

luismatos4prez

7 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Early September Update

Locks:

Brandon Young - 31 IP, 2.30 ERA, 2.59 FIP since 8/1. Outstanding enough that we might see him make an appearance this September.

Very Unlikely:

Edgar Portes - 2.92 FIP since 8/1. I'm starting to really like Portes, but he's not someone I'd protect at this stage of his career. Not getting promoted to AA says something to me, too.

Alex Pham - 111 IP 3.90 FIP in AA. Pham is worth keeping an eye on, but I consider him another Garrett Stallings.

Kade Strowd - 3.71 FIP since 8/1 is nice, still 5.84 BB/9 though. I just can't see him getting protected with his command. 

Nothing new here. Any disagreements? I strongly doubt anyone but Young gets protected this winter, and even he might make it before the end of the year.

At this point I think the O's add Young, Pham and  Wall.   There is plenty of room on the 40 man roster. Even with adding those three and re-signing Slater and McCann  I have the O's at 36 players on the 40 man roster.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, wildcard said:

At this point I think the O's add Young, Pham and  Wall.   There is plenty of room on the 40 man roster. Even with adding those three and re-signing Slater and McCann  I have the O's at 36 players on the 40 man roster.

Good bump. One of the benefits of the deadline is that we traded a lot of players that were either on the 40 man or were going to have to be added. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

There will certainly be a lot of space on the roster. But I seriously doubt Mike uses it for the likes of Wall or Pham. My guess is he'd rather use those spots for waiver claims to try and find another Ryan O'Hearn type.

If he really liked Wall, he wouldn't have just DFAd him.

If he thought Pham was a serious prospect, he would have gotten a taste of AAA already. He has no plus pitches according to Tony's write-up on him.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

There will certainly be a lot of space on the roster. But I seriously doubt Mike uses it for the likes of Wall or Pham. My guess is he'd rather use those spots for waiver claims to try and find another Ryan O'Hearn type.

If he really liked Wall, he wouldn't have just DFAd him.

If he thought Pham was a serious prospect, he would have gotten a taste of AAA already. He has no plus pitches according to Tony's write-up on him.

I think Pham has a chance.   He improved his ERA every month this season.  He struck out more than 1 per inning.  His WHIP and AVG are good.   He played the whole season at 24.

His biggest draw back is that he is listed at 5'11, 165. Not a big guy.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I put the odds on Pham being added at 10%.  Undersized righty without plus stuff and very mediocre numbers in AA.   5%.

I know Wall has options but they just waived him and didn’t seem to care if they lost him.  He’s a LH hitting OF, on a team that project 3 starting outfielders who hit LH.   If they wanted to protect him they wouldn’t have taken him off.   I vote no on Wall.

Young, we agree on.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think Pham has a chance.   He improved his ERA every month this season.  He struck out more than 1 per inning.  His WHIP and AVG are good.   He played the whole season at 24.

His biggest draw back is that he is listed at 5'11, 165. Not a big guy.

You act as if pitching the whole season at 24 in AA is a plus.  It’s not.

Edited by RZNJ

I wouldn’t be shocked if Pham is added to the 40 more from a system depth sort of move than a "this guy is important to us" move.  The odds could be 10% or 33% but a meh loss/insurance add either way.  But I'm a Pham-stan...

Theoretical question.

If the Orioles win the division and try to actively manage rust on Tuesday or Wednesday with one or two live practice games, how many HR would be hit if Pham threw 100 pitches for the scout team against the Orioles A lineup in OPACY?

That said, maximizing assets I do think Pham could be capable of doing what Matt Bowman does, and he has all the options for years and years of being in the arm barn mix.

If he were slated for the 40 over the winter, in the happiest scenario maybe the final weekend in Minnesota we could pitch Pham, Bruce Zimmermann and Trevor Rogers.

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Theoretical question.

If the Orioles win the division and try to actively manage rust on Tuesday or Wednesday with one or two live practice games, how many HR would be hit if Pham threw 100 pitches for the scout team against the Orioles A lineup in OPACY?

That said, maximizing assets I do think Pham could be capable of doing what Matt Bowman does, and he has all the options for years and years of being in the arm barn mix.

If he were slated for the 40 over the winter, in the happiest scenario maybe the final weekend in Minnesota we could pitch Pham, Bruce Zimmermann and Trevor Rogers.

Pham might be able to do what Bowman does.   No ML team is going to tie up a roster spot for that all year.

I bet you if there was a database where I could search for 

~24 year old

100+ IP in AA this year

No plus pitches

~4.00 ERA/FIP

I would find two dozen guys that matched that description, including Pham. Garrett Stallings type guys. A tier below the Bruce Zimmermann types. 

21 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

I bet you if there was a database where I could search for 

~24 year old

100+ IP in AA this year

No plus pitches

~4.00 ERA/FIP

I would find two dozen guys that matched that description, including Pham. Garrett Stallings type guys. A tier below the Bruce Zimmermann types. 

Zimmermann was always underwhelming to me.  Not that Pham jumps out as a dude, but I think he’s more interesting than Zimmermann.

On 9/5/2024 at 2:43 PM, camdencrush said:

Now look at his improvement over every month of 2024

Yeah, that’s what makes him somewhat more interesting than his season stats might suggest.  But if the O’s were that impressed he’d be in Norfolk by now.  

On 9/5/2024 at 4:50 AM, wildcard said:

Just curious, why Wall? 

What about Van Loon? With open spots I don't see why we wouldn't want to add some more to the pool of optionable pitchers.