Winter 2024 40-Man Additions

luismatos4prez

I'll be using this thread to predict 40-man roster adds next winter. I've gotten the adds right 2 years straight, hoping to make it 3. Link to last year's thread. I'll check in every month or so to see where things stand.

Here's where I see things now before the minor league season starts. Tony's prospect ranking in parentheses:

Locks:

1. Coby Mayo (3)

2. Chayce McDermott (9)

3. Connor Norby (11)

4. Cade Povich (13)

Unlikely:

5. Brandon Young (30)

6. Jean Pinto (33)

7. Keagan Gillies (34)

8. Hudson Haskin (36)

9. Justin Armbreuster (46)

10. John Rhodes (48)

Other eligible names to watch:

Maverick Handley (49), Billy Cook (40), Garrett Stallings (70), Kyle Brnovich, Carter Baumler (22)

-

This year is unique in that there are 4 guys that I would be stunned if they didn't make it and then a bunch of long shots. There aren't any bubble cases for me right now. Maybe someone will play themselves up or down into the bubble as the season goes on.

I expect Mayo to be added during the season and Norby to be traded. McDermott is pretty likely to pitch out of the bullpen at some point, too.

Any predictions or guys I missed?

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

There is a guy named Holliday that you didn't mention.

I'm only working with Rule 5 eligible players. Holliday technically doesn't have to be protected for like 3 more years. But of course he'll be on the roster well before next winter.

Good list. I think Gillies and Armbruester have a pretty decent chance, dependent on how they do this year of course. They might even make major league appearances this year, particularly Armbruester. I’d tier them above the rest of the “unlikely” group. 

The case for Armbruster, Young, and Gillies being bubble guys will obviously depend on their 2024 seasons, nothing earth shattering there. Like CaptainRedbeard said, I could even see a couple of those guys making an appearance this year if guys like Tate, Baumann, Baker etc prove to be unreliable. I would consider Alex Pham in that mix too. 

Another interesting name to watch is Juan Nunez who should be eligible as a 2019 int'l signing. 

Ambruester could be a up/down guy for us this year in the pen and find himself on the 40 man.

Handley could be added if we have any injury at catcher and could also be added because McCann is a FA. Catching depth is just too thin in MLB to develop Handley all this way and not take advantage of his three optionable years. 

7 hours ago, interloper said:

I think Pinto is getting TJS, right? 

Ah, I hadn't seen that. He's out then. Worst time to get it, too. He's basically out for 2 years.

I'll add Wandisson Charles to the Names to Watch category on the off chance he learns how to throw strikes. 1 IP 2 K 0 BB in his first outing of the year tonight.