AA Bullpen

DirtyBird

The pen at Norfolk looks pretty bleak, with nothing really knocking at the door to break into the majors.

What are the thoughts on Keagan Gillies and Kade Strowd?

Are they guys who have the potential to break out this season and pass all the organizational space fillers currently in AAA?

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

The pen at Norfolk looks pretty bleak, with nothing really knocking at the door to break into the majors.

What are the thoughts on Keagan Gillies and Kade Strowd?

Are they guys who have the potential to break out this season and pass all the organizational space fillers currently in AAA?

Keegan Gillies is someone to watch.  Kade Strowd throws hard and has an inconsistent slider.  I don’t expect him to be a nugget.  Dylan Heid doesn’t throw real hard but he’s interesting as well.

18 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Not entirely sure what yours was either. 

My point was, we will need bullpen help throughout the season. There are about 10 relievers on the Norfolk roster and none of them look much like capable major league options. 

I asked about two particular relievers in AA, who could possibly bust through the retreads in Norfolk.

I would like to see Armbruester tried as a reliever.   He's been awful as a starter this year w/ a 10 ERA.  Just doesn't seem to have a starter's pitch mix.  I have to admit I don't know much about him other than he has a good fastball.  Maybe transform him into a Baker type guy (the good version) out of the bullpen.

11 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would like to see Armbruester tried as a reliever.   He's been awful as a starter this year w/ a 10 ERA.  Just doesn't seem to have a starter's pitch mix.  I have to admit I don't know much about him other than he has a good fastball.  Maybe transform him into a Baker type guy (the good version) out of the bullpen.

I also think Armbruester’s only path to ML success might be the bullpen.    I sound like a broken record but I think Albert Suarez is a intriguing bullpen arm as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2024 at 4:50 PM, DirtyBird said:

My point was, we will need bullpen help throughout the season. There are about 10 relievers on the Norfolk roster and none of them look much like capable major league options. 

I asked about two particular relievers in AA, who could possibly bust through the retreads in Norfolk.

Vespi is having a big year in AAA again.  Krook is holding his own too after having a really good year in AAA for the Yankees last year.  

Strowd looks good so far in AA.  It's good to have a little relief depth that isn't on the 40 man.  

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Vespi is having a big year in AAA again.  Krook is holding his own too after having a really good year in AAA for the Yankees last year.  

Strowd looks good so far in AA.  It's good to have a little relief depth that isn't on the 40 man.  

Krook has 6 BB in 8 IP