Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

10 hours ago, Since1984 said:

You would have said the same thing after his first bad outing this year. Everyone is cooked if they have a bad outing. Eventually it may come true, but every MLB gets cooked throughout the year

Sorry I should have clarified, he's been terrible for a while now, and had a very terrible outing against Miami. He's approaching well done.

3 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Sure, but there's not much reason to believe he won't. At least long-term.

There is one good reason.  It's baseball.

Highly touted prospects underachieve expectations every year. 

Guys come out of nowhere every year.

I don't trust AAA stats much at all anymore, not with the ABS system and the depleted pitching.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mayo isn’t even the defender at 1B that Vlad Jr is. Mayo would be a liability right now other than DH. Which DH is a big role that we need right now. 

As for Suarez, some version of him as to limp us through the regular season. But… this could explain the Frankie Montas rumors. 

We could get a top SP, then a dude like Montas, just to eat innings to win the AL East or to start a Game 4.

Adley/ O'Hearn?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't trust AAA stats much at all anymore, not with the ABS system and the depleted pitching.

I mean Gunnar and Adley and Westburg and Mounty are underachieving over the last month. It's anybody's guess as to what these guys will do and when they'll do it. 

I do feel like if the move is Mayo for Urias, you're at least not expecting to lose much offense there. If Mayo had to come up and replace Mounty, that's slightly more 50/50. And if he has to replace someone like Westburg, I don't feel very good about that.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

There's always a chance, but come on.

9 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

It mayo’s defense is as bad as everyone says it is, he’ll be Vlad Jr.

I don’t think we really know how bad his defense is at 3B, or if it’s really bad at all.  We just have worries based on the stats we can see.   At least a few people who watch him play a lot say he’s not as bad as some people think.  So, we’ll see.

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think we really know how bad his defense is at 3B, or if it’s really bad at all.  We just have worries based on the stats we can see.   At least a few people who watch him play a lot say he’s not as bad as some people think.  So, we’ll see.

With respect, that is hardly a ringing endorsement of his defense. I’ve never seen him play at all, so I have no eye test of my own. But I remember Mark Reynolds’ 3B defense in my nightmares.

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

There's always a chance, but come on.

I've been saying his name way too much recently but the active example of worst case scenario is playing in Toledo right now.

Someone like Termarr Johnson was billed as a can't miss bat and he's hitting 247 in the minors and is 20 in A+ ball.

13 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

With respect, that is hardly a ringing endorsement of his defense. I’ve never seen him play at all, so I have no eye test of my own. But I remember Mark Reynolds’ 3B defense in my nightmares.

Me too, and Wilson Betemit wasn’t a good alternative either.   The day Manny came up and replaced the at 3B was miraculous.  

I’m just saying that we’ll have to see for ourselves if Mayo is actually bad.  

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've been saying his name way too much recently but the active example of worst case scenario is playing in Toledo right now.

Someone like Termarr Johnson was billed as a can't miss bat and he's hitting 247 in the minors and is 20 in A+ ball.

And Coby Mayo is hitting .297 and is 22 in AAA. These are not the same. There's a world of difference in being a "can't miss" bat straight out of the draft and hitting extremely well in AAA while being 4.5 years younger than the league average age.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the percentage of "can't miss" bats out of the draft who flopped is much higher than the percentage of 22-year-olds in AAA with OPS over .950 in a half-season who flopped.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Me too, and Wilson Betemit wasn’t a good alternative either.   The day Manny came up and replaced the at 3B was miraculous.  

I’m just saying that we’ll have to see for ourselves if Mayo is actually bad.  

Manny's defense at 3rd flipped the script on that seaon. It also allowed Reynolds to go to First and play very surprisinigly good (Had poeple talking GG caliber) Some of his streches for the ball were ridiculous. Get him up here, lets see his 3b, not like it's our only option with him.

Just now, ChosenOne21 said:

And Coby Mayo is hitting .297 and is 22 in AAA. These are not the same. There's a world of difference in being a "can't miss" bat straight out of the draft and hitting extremely well in AAA while being 4.5 years younger than the league average age.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the percentage of "can't miss" bats out of the draft who flopped is much higher than the percentage of 22-year-olds in AAA with OPS over .950 in a half-season who flopped.

Jesus Montero?

He put up an 870 OPS in AAA while being 6.9 years younger.

Can't miss guys miss in the majors.  Not saying it is going to happen but "come on" don't act like it isn't a thing.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Jesus Montero?

He put up an 870 OPS in AAA while being 6.9 years younger.

Can't miss guys miss in the majors.  Not saying it is going to happen but "come on" don't act like it isn't a thing.

Great example of how great MILB numbers can turn into MLB busts very quickly, I hope it does not  happen