player to watch- SS D.J. LeMahieu

I have been asked if there are any shortstops worth watching besides Grant Green and Ryan Jackson.

LSU's D.J. LeMahieu merits consideration- with the caveat that he's a sophomore this year, which means he might make himself draft eligible, or he might not...

D.J. is very big 6'4 195 lbs. This means he will likely develop good power, but he might not be able to stick at SS at that size. His .943 fielding pct so far this year adds to that concern.

If he could stick at SS, that would be a huge bonus for him and the team that signs him. He'll provide plenty of offense and power at that position.

So far, he's hot out of the gate, hitting a whopping .526 with 2 HR and 12 RBI's. Last year, as a true freshman, he hit .360 with 14 HR.

I have been asked if there are any shortstops worth watching besides Grant Green and Ryan Jackson.

LSU's D.J. LeMahieu merits consideration- with the caveat that he's a sophomore this year, which means he might make himself draft eligible, or he might not...

D.J. is very big 6'4 195 lbs. This means he will likely develop good power, but he might not be able to stick at SS at that size. His .943 fielding pct so far this year adds to that concern.

If he could stick at SS, that would be a huge bonus for him and the team that signs him. He'll provide plenty of offense and power at that position.

So far, he's hot out of the gate, hitting a whopping .526 with 2 HR and 12 RBI's. Last year, as a true freshman, he hit .360 with 14 HR.

He's draft eligible.

A bit big-bodied for a prototypical SS, but certainly something BAL fans got used to seeing with Cal. Like Cal, he sets himself up well pre-pitch and gets excellent reads off the bat. He ranges pretty well to both sides and handles himself around the bag.

There's also still some projection left in his frame, so he could conceivably add more power. More me, range is a greater question than his hands, so I'll be interested to see how he continues to develop over the season. Could be solid mid-1st rounder. Maybe improve draft status if some in front of him fall.

He's draft eligible.

A bit big-bodied for a prototypical SS, but certainly something BAL fans got used to seeing with Cal. Like Cal, he sets himself up well pre-pitch and gets excellent reads off the bat. He ranges pretty well to both sides and handles himself around the bag.

There's also still some projection left in his frame, so he could conceivably add more power. More me, range is a greater question than his hands, so I'll be interested to see how he continues to develop over the season. Could be solid mid-1st rounder. Maybe improve draft status if some in front of him fall.

No chance he falls to 2:5? Seems doubtful.

IF he demonstrates this year that he can stay at SS, and he continues to mash, might he sneak up into the top 10? We could use a good SS who can hit.

That question won't be answered until he's a pro. He may profile better at 2B, but he has a fair chance to stick at SS. Yes, he could get up to the Top 10 if he puts up a huge offensive season -- but he'd likely be a reach at 1:5.

That question won't be answered until he's a pro. He may profile better at 2B, but he has a fair chance to stick at SS. Yes, he could get up to the Top 10 if he puts up a huge offensive season -- but he'd likely be a reach at 1:5.

Sounds like he's this years version of Gordon Beckham.

The track record for making to the Majors is much better for programs like Arizona State and LSU than other schools. The numbers carry a bit more weight with me because they play good schools. Some guy might put up eye-popping numbers at Radford or Hofstra put are they playing against tough competition?

The track record for making to the Majors is much better for programs like Arizona State and LSU than other schools. The numbers carry a bit more weight with me because they play good schools. Some guy might put up eye-popping numbers at Radford or Hofstra put are they playing against tough competition?

I agree there is some comfort in seeing players log time against top competition. To be fair, that's why I don't really get excited about the first few weeks of production in the college season -- I generally prefer conference play.

I agree there is some comfort in seeing players log time against top competition. To be fair, that's why I don't really get excited about the first few weeks of production in the college season -- I generally prefer conference play.

I agree. This time of year you might be able to see schools/players that are going to fall short of pre-season expectations by losing to inferior opponents, but its much more difficult to gauge exactly how good a team/player is when they are slapping around the FAMUs and Appy States of the college baseball world.

I spoke with a national cross-checker who told me LeMahieu may be catching up with, and possibly passing Green as top college SS prospect available in the draft.

He says it's still iffy if he can hold his own at SS at the big league level, but played well at SS during the Cape Cod League and so far at LSU this year. He has 4 errors to Green's 6. He moves well for a big guy (4 for 4 in steals this year).

He says if Green continues to be icy cold, and LeMahieu continues his metoric rise and maintains it through the whole season, we could see big changes in the draft order in June.

I spoke with a national cross-checker who told me LeMahieu may be catching up with, and possibly passing Green as top college SS prospect available in the draft.

He says it's still iffy if he can hold his own at SS at the big league level, but played well at SS during the Cape Cod League and so far at LSU this year. He has 4 errors to Green's 6. He moves well for a big guy (4 for 4 in steals this year).

He says if Green continues to be icy cold, and LeMahieu continues his metoric rise and maintains it through the whole season, we could see big changes in the draft order in June.

So as long as the two continue down this path for another 10 weeks, there's a chance LeMahieu could make a big jump and/or Green could fall. Sounds like the cross-checker is going out on a limb here. :)

Archived