5/15: MINOR LEAGUE GAME SUMMARIES

cboemmeljr

Collin Burns went 2 for 3 with a homerun, 1 run scored, 1 RBI and a walk for the Baysox.  He is the Orioles Hangout MiLB Player of the Day.

NORFOLK TIDES (20-21) LOST A DH WITH LEHIGH VALLEY – AAA

Game 1 (4-3 LOSS):
•    Heston Kjerstad went 1 for 3 with a homerun, 1 run scored and 1 RBI.
•    Daniel Johnson went 2 for 3 with a homerun, 1 run scored and 2 RBI. 
•    SP: Chayce McDermott allowed 4 runs on 8 hits (HR) and struck out 8 over 5.0 innings.
•    Pitcher of Record: McDermott (1-2)

BOX SCORE

Game 2 (5-3 LOSS):
•    Maverick Handley went 1 for 2 with a double, 1 run scored, 1 RBI and was hit by a pitch.
•    Shayne Fontana went 2 for 3 with a stolen base.
•    SP: Justin Armbreuster allowed 3 runs on 5 hits (HR), walked 1, struck out 5 and hit a batter over 5.0 innings.
•    Pitcher of Record: Kaleb Ort (0-1) 1.0 IP, 2 UER, 2 H, K

BOX SCORE

BOWIE BAYSOX (18-16) WON 4-0 AT BINGHAMTON – AA

•    Jud Fabian went 1 for 3 with 1 run scored, a walk and a stolen base.
•    Donta Williams went 2 for 4.
•    SP: Trace Bright allowed 4 hits, walked 3, struck out 2 and threw a wild pitch over 4.1 innings.
•    Pitcher of Record: Ryan Watson (1-0) 2.1 IP, 2 H 

BOX SCORE

ABERDEEN IRONBIRDS (19-15) POSTPONED WITH WILMINGTON – A (HIGH)

Make Up Date: Thurs. 5/16

DELMARVA SHOREBIRDS (9-24) LOST 7-2 AT LYNCHBURG – A (LOW)

•    Stiven Acevedo went 2 for 3 with a double, 1 RBI and a stolen base.
•    Jake Cunningham went 1 for 2 with a run scored, 2 walks and a stolen base.
•    SP: Luis De Leon allowed 1 run on 5 hits and struck out 2 over 3.0 innings.
•    Pitcher of Record: Michael Forret (2-3) 3.0 IP, 4 R, 6 H, BB, 5 K

BOX SCORE

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The good thing about the current playoff setup is that you do not have to panic.  Back when only the division winners made the playoffs, you could not fall too far behind.  After losing 5 games in a row, the O's are still only 2 games out of first for the division and are 7 games up in the wildcard.   Elias has to wait over the next month to see exactly what the team needs.  If you try to make a trade at this time, you are going to overpay because the other teams are waiting for the deadline to hope a team becomes desperate.  You also have the issue of a most of the NL teams being in contention for the wildcard, not many sellers out there.  In another month, hopefully a few more NL teams realize they need to sell and that widens the trade market hopefully driving the price down for what has to be given up.  
    • I’m not going to deny it, when watching the Mays tributes and they spoke of the kid from Alabama  who could do it all, my thoughts drifted to the Orioles young star.  I had to remind myself of how Griffey Jr. and now Trout faded after generating breathless excitement in the first portion of their careers.  It can be a cruel game.
    • I think he will ultimately end up too big, 
    • A big 4 hit game. 2nd highest OPS on the team at .853.  If we didn’t have Adley, or Gunnar, everyone would be walking around in Westburg jerseys. 
    • First of all, I'm talking about his plan for the Orioles moving forward. I get what the front office was doing early on. Turning around a very bad team by drafting high, picking high upside college hitters the might quickly improve the club. And he's done a helluva job drafting positional talent. But I never understood his reluctance to draft top end college pitching talent. So what we have is a minor league system system of super talented hitters who are blocked from making the bigs because there's literally too many of them. On the flip side there's little to no major league quality pitching talent at all. Fast forward to this off-season. Elias knew damn well the odds of Means and Bradish missing significant time was pretty much 100%. We already had lost Felix for the upcoming season and Wells has a long injury history.  He also had to know Cano wasn't the heir apparent at closer or even a high leverage guy. So what does he do? He brings in an aging Kimbrel to close. And we get Burnes. And believe me, I like Burnes but that wasn't nearly enough for a team with World Series aspirations. And now in late June, it's coming unglued. The pitching injuries are mounting. Guys like Irvin and Suarez are showing they just don't have what it takes. We choose our best minor league arm and it's Cade Povich. I like the kid but he's a fifth starter at best. I guess my main question in this is whether or not Elias realizes how mediocre the pitching staff currently is. And he needs to make moves ASAP because I can see things unraveling. We have the biggest surplus of trade bait in the MLB. At a minimum we need a top end starter and a top notch reliever. Time is ticking       
    • I know it seems counterintuitive to go to a six man rotation when we might not have 5 SP, but we’re seeing the reason that we tried to do the 6 man rotation with the Povich promotion before Bradish’s injury.  I say promote McDermott. Go to a 6 man rotation. That will help the other 5 SP. Replace one of Suarez/McDermott when Kremer comes back in 10ish days. 
  • Popular Contributors