Brandon Young 2024

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I've been watching a lot of Orioles minor league right-handed pitchers throwing changeups to right-handed batters this year with some success. I'm wondering if going against the proverbial wisdom that right on right changeups don't work is being challenged by the Orioles or just if it's a development thing. 

Young's changeup is definitely a plus pitch and his curveball can be at times too. I wouldn't mind seeing him throw that change up right on rihght more often though to see if it works in the upper levels.

Definitely agree that sometimes you just need to throw your best offspeed pitch even if it doesn’t have the platoon advantage. It looks like that’s what Povich is doing with his sweeper now as well. He previously pretty much only threw it to lefties, but one of the adjustments they made in AAA was to throw it a lot more, including to righties. We saw that in his good last start.

Young absolutely profiles as a guy that will need to throw his changeup to righties too. Grayson, Suarez, Cano and Webb are similar - they don’t just shelf their changeups against righties. Even Kremer is starting to throw his splitter more to righties as his best whiff pitch. But all of those guys also have cutters/sliders (and of course the starters have curves too). If Young is putting up big reverse splits now, he needs some adjustment, and figuring out something better with the slider/cutter seems the simplest route.

All that said, with OPACY it’s pretty much a prerequisite for any righty SP to need to handle lefties. It’s big that Young checks that box. He should be a good fit as a four seamer/change/curve extreme fly ball guy in our stadium, so long as he can hold his own against righties. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Wavetrapper said:

I am hoping that happens this week but Elias is going to have to swallow his pride 

Also Kimbrel needs to be DFA’d this week too and replaced  by Irvin (not ideal but Kimbrel is washed)

Bring back Povich as September call up 

Playoffs are slipping away.  They need to do something different 

The playoffs aren't slipping way.  Enough of this nonsense.  We're 7 games up for a berth against a team (BOS) that is treading water as much if not more than we are.  It would take a total collapse to miss the playoffs, and while this team is certainly not playing up to their potential, they also haven't shown signs of a collapse.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I've been watching a lot of Orioles minor league right-handed pitchers throwing changeups to right-handed batters this year with some success. I'm wondering if going against the proverbial wisdom that right on right changeups don't work is being challenged by the Orioles or just if it's a development thing. 

Young's changeup is definitely a plus pitch and his curveball can be at times too. I wouldn't mind seeing him throw that change up right on rihght more often though to see if it works in the upper levels.

@Tony-OH if the movement on the CU is down with armside run a Right on Right CU can be a great pitch for both swing and miss and ground balls. 

What is the shape of his CU? 

15 hours ago, Wavetrapper said:

I am hoping that happens this week but Elias is going to have to swallow his pride 

Also Kimbrel needs to be DFA’d this week too and replaced  by Irvin (not ideal but Kimbrel is washed)

Bring back Povich as September call up 

Playoffs are slipping away.  They need to do something different 

Playoffs are slipping away?  lol yeah with Red Sox going 2-5 in last 7 they will probably pass us any minute.  We are going to the playoffs I don’t know why you keep thinking they won’t make it or have no chance.    They also are not gonna use up an option for Young for one spot start.  

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

@Tony-OH if the movement on the CU is down with armside run a Right on Right CU can be a great pitch for both swing and miss and ground balls. 

What is the shape of his CU? 

He gets both arm side run and a huge vertical drop. He just needs to land it enough for strikes to make major league batters respect it.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

6Ks through 3ip so far tonight.  1R on a solo HR.  0BB.

Had a few really long at bats and his pitch count got away from him a bit.  Finished 61 of 91 with 10K in 4.1ip.  1BB 3H 2R.  Heck of a game! 

• Upvote 1

Young is a dude that needs to hit the weight room and go to one of those pitching gyms like driveline, or whatever is trendy near him. See if he can’t bump that 93-94 up to 96-97. 

Things to keep in mind… 93 is like what 89 used to be. The players that get these weight room fastballs, by throwing max effort on every pitch, tend to need TJ really quick. Even guys like our own Bradish and Means. But hey, it would be a fun 1-2 years for Young, versus the current trajectory. 

This is just baseball without the 1990s steroids. 

• Confused 2

On 8/24/2024 at 8:14 PM, emmett16 said:

Had a few really long at bats and his pitch count got away from him a bit.  Finished 61 of 91 with 10K in 4.1ip.  1BB 3H 2R.  Heck of a game! 

He's definitely missing bats. Nice to see.

17 minutes ago, Bird Lady said:

Don't know if it means anything, but after being listed as the probable starter tonight, it's now going to be Zimmerman.

Rosters expand 9/1. So think he’ll be brought up in case Eflin doesn’t do well on Sunday. 

• Like 1