The 2024 Trade Deadline

What are your thoughts on Randy Arozarena? He's a power hitting right handed hitter, which we need, but plays subpar defense, which we don't.  He's having a down year, so he might come relatively cheap, but he looks like he might be starting to hit, and we know how great he's been in the postseason in the past.  So do you all think he's a fit, and if so, how much do you  think he would cost in terms of prospects?

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Homie, you need role players/platoon players. Aren’t Cowser, Hays, Urias, Mateo, and even guys like Kjerstad, Mounty, and O’Hearn, role players/platoon guys. 

Those guys aren’t auto starts every single game. Matchup guys. 

Norby replaces Hays as the RH member of the LF platoon.

Stowers takes over Cowser’s role this year as Cowser becomes the everyday RF. 

Cowser is better suited for LF/CF compared to RF with his much superior range to Norby at least at Camden Yards.  I think Kjerstad will be in RF if he's not traded.  I think Norby truly is a spare part and the most likely "top prospect" to be traded.  I guess I can see Stowers being kept if the O's think he can take Hays' spot on next years' team, saving $7 o 8 million.  As a small to mid market team, finances are always  a consideration even with a new owner.

48 minutes ago, toughbuff1 said:

What are your thoughts on Randy Arozarena? He's a power hitting right handed hitter, which we need, but plays subpar defense, which we don't.  He's having a down year, so he might come relatively cheap, but he looks like he might be starting to hit, and we know how great he's been in the postseason in the past.  So do you all think he's a fit, and if so, how much do you  think he would cost in terms of prospects?

There’s going to be competition for him given the dearth of offense in MLB.

15 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Cowser is better suited for LF/CF compared to RF with his much superior range to Norby at least at Camden Yards.  I think Kjerstad will be in RF if he's not traded.  I think Norby truly is a spare part and the most likely "top prospect" to be traded.  I guess I can see Stowers being kept if the O's think he can take Hays' spot on next years' team, saving $7 o 8 million.  As a small to mid market team, finances are always  a consideration even with a new owner.

Given how the O’s have a tendency toward preparing to play the matchup game with platoons, how can Stowers who is left handed be viewed as a replacement for Hays a righty?

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Given how the O’s have a tendency toward preparing to play the matchup game with platoons, how can Stowers who is left handed be viewed as a replacement for Hays a righty?

Good point, the O's do need a RH OF.  I'm not sure they need to pay Hays $8 million in a platoon role in 2025.  Maybe a trade with another team who has an excess of RH OF is in order.

On 7/19/2024 at 1:16 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

Where will they end up,

Skubal - Not traded

Crochet - Not traded... a team is not likely to mortgage the future for a guy who will not pitch much this year. I think the White Sox get much more for him if they deal him in the offseason (assuming he stays healthy)... but if I had to guess, Red Sox

Fedde - I think he could be the best arm traded, but I do believe that someone who hasn't been brought up much will get moved and they will be better than everyone outside of Skubal and Crochet.

Scherzer - Not traded

Snell - Not traded

Kikuchi - Traded somewhere.... I am lumping these guys together and guessing that Baltimore,

Flaherty - LAD

Eflin - 

Quantrill - 

Tyler Anderson -

Montas - Orioles

Seems like there could be more out there then we thought.  

On 7/19/2024 at 12:43 PM, Yardball85 said:

I find it hard to believe that the trade was ever offered, but if I am trading Holliday the return better be a high upside starter with 3+ years of team control after this season. The team I thought would consider that would have been the Pirates, but maybe they thought Temarr Johnson was going to turn the corner.

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

That doesn’t sound particularly useful for the O’s. We are fighting for a World Series just like them. Why are they getting help in order to pursue that goal? And we are getting what? Another Minor League infielder who doesn’t really have a position and is not as good as the guys we have. And pitcher who will be 25 next year, is coming off an injury, and is just arriving at back at AA. What makes McGowan better than what we have in Johnson?

Again how does this really help the O’s in their pursuit of a championship. Or is that more important for the Phillies to pursue or obtain than us?

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:
On 7/11/2024 at 9:09 AM, Greg Pappas said:

Mullins' future here is a tough one to gauge.  The Phillies would probably be happy to have him, but I don't see Ced moved this season.   If Elias were interested in moving Ced, maybe a rental reliever like Seranthony Dominguez (29) would make sense?  Naturally, adding a CF would be important... a RHH one would be ideal, and there are a few available.

I'm not opposed to dealing Ced, but I'd prefer it if it were for a 2024 contributor.

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

That doesn’t sound particularly useful for the O’s. We are fighting for a World Series just like them. Why are they getting help in order to pursue that goal? And we are getting what? Another Minor League infielder who doesn’t really have a position and is not as good as the guys we have. And pitcher who will be 25 next year, is coming off an injury, and is just arriving at back at AA. What makes McGowan better than what we have in Johnson?

Again how does this really help the O’s in their pursuit of a championship. Or is that more important for the Phillies to pursue or obtain than us?

The authors opinion is that trading Mullins is addition by subtraction as it gets more playing time to Cowser and Kjerstad.   We get two future pieces, potentially.     What have you got against that concept?

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The authors opinion is that trading Mullins is addition by subtraction as it gets more playing time to Cowser and Kjerstad.   We get two future pieces, potentially.     What have you got against that concept?

The potential upside is limited to me at best.

If we are going to get rid of Mullins I would prefer it to be in the offseason, not down the stretch of this season. If Cowser were to get injured we would literally have nothing in CF.

I prefer our trades at the deadline to be for players who can help us down the stretch. Not to solve roster issues for the Phillies.

24 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The potential upside is limited to me at best.

If we are going to get rid of Mullins I would prefer it to be in the offseason, not down the stretch of this season. If Cowser were to get injured we would literally have nothing in CF.

I prefer our trades at the deadline to be for players who can help us down the stretch. Not to solve roster issues for the Phillies.

You have tunnel vision.

3 minutes ago, OrioleintheATL said:

Taj Bradley.  How doable would that one be and what would it cost us?

Why would the Rays trade a young, excellent, controllable starter for four more years after this?

Next year McClanahan and Baz will be back. When you pair those 2 with Bradley, they will be contending. No?