DSL Orioles 2024

RZNJ

On 6/18/2024 at 4:21 PM, RZNJ said:

The boys are having a little contest.  Let’s keep track.

Adriander Mejia - no strikeouts in his first 42 PA.

Felix Amparo - no strikeouts in his first 33 PA.

So, Amparo is up to 6 walks without a strikeout.  What makes all the more impressive is when you look at his plate discipline numbers in the same league last year.  It’s fun to see the development.

image.thumb.png.975884875fd42b8f9d5bae8cbd7e7b54.png

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say Jordan Sanchez is a top 10 Oriole prospect in a year. Another 3 hit day and 4 XBH.

As Tony said, the real test comes at Delmarva but Jordan Sanchez is putting up better numbers than anyone in this organization ever has in the DSL.  It’s hard not to get excited about his future.   If he continues to hit like this you even wonder if he skips the FCL next year.  Bencosme came closest I think.  Bencosme played just a few FCL games and went to Delmarva before the end of June.   Sanchez, like Bencosme, is playing DSL in his age 18 season so there are some similarities there although what Sanchez is doing is unprecedented.

I will break ice in this thread name checking Saul Gomez 7.27.2007.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=30&stats=bat&qual=y&type=1&team=&season=2021&seasonEnd=2024&org=2&ind=0&splitTeam=true&players=&sort=20,1

2021-2024 DOSL Orioles - he is the only qualified player to beat Samuel Basallo's wRC+ in what the report labels an age 16 season.

Saul Gomez an excellent name.    400/487/433 makes a picture of a 16 year old without even his adolescent muscles, never mind his man muscles.    B-Ref has him 6-0, 178.

On 6/21/2024 at 10:53 AM, RZNJ said:

So, Amparo is up to 6 walks without a strikeout.  What makes all the more impressive is when you look at his plate discipline numbers in the same league last year.  It’s fun to see the development.

image.thumb.png.975884875fd42b8f9d5bae8cbd7e7b54.png

Looks like Amparo has a good chance here.  Going into today Felix Amparo and Adriander Mejia were the only two qualified players in the DSL who had yet to strike out.  Mejia in his first AB today and 49 PA of the year struck out.  He later did it again.

Amparo is up to 46 PA without a K.  

On 6/25/2024 at 4:03 PM, RZNJ said:

Looks like Amparo has a good chance here.  Going into today Felix Amparo and Adriander Mejia were the only two qualified players in the DSL who had yet to strike out.  Mejia in his first AB today and 49 PA of the year struck out.  He later did it again.

I don't care what league you're in, that's impressive. I know he's in the smaller side, older than most of his competition due to repeating, and hasn't shown much pop this year while doing this, but it's still a pretty impressive feat. The crazy thing is he struck out 40 times in 207 PAs last year, which is not horrible, but for a guy with limited power, was a bit high. It's worth noting that he seems to be pretty defensively challenged.

He's listed at 5-10 and playing most of his games at 1B after committing 13 errors in 36 games last year between SS and 2B. This year he has two errors in 20 innings at 3B, and has played just wo other games at 2B. 

So basically he appears to have one skill. That's not striking out against DSL pitching. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't care what league you're in, that's impressive. I know he's in the smaller side, older than most of his competition due to repeating, and hasn't shown much pop this year while doing this, but it's still a pretty impressive feat. The crazy thing is he struck out 40 times in 207 PAs last year, which is not horrible, but for a guy with limited power, was a bit high. It's worth noting that he seems to be pretty defensively challenged.

He's listed at 5-10 and playing most of his games at 1B after committing 13 errors in 36 games last year between SS and 2B. This year he has two errors in 20 innings at 3B, and has played just wo other games at 2B. 

So basically he appears to have one skill. That's not striking out against DSL pitching. 

Agree with everything you say which makes the original press release when that class signed not age well.  Lol

“Amparo, 16, is a shortstop from the Dominican Republic with a chance to be a plus hitter in the future. Standing five feet, 10 inches tall and weighing in at 145 pounds, he showcases surprising pop for his frame and is an excellent fastball hitter. On the dirt, he has good feet and soft hands with superb body control and a plus arm. A plus runner, his combination of offense and speed will see him stick at shortstop.”

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Agree with everything you say which makes the original press release when that class signed not age well.  Lol

“Amparo, 16, is a shortstop from the Dominican Republic with a chance to be a plus hitter in the future. Standing five feet, 10 inches tall and weighing in at 145 pounds, he showcases surprising pop for his frame and is an excellent fastball hitter. On the dirt, he has good feet and soft hands with superb body control and a plus arm. A plus runner, his combination of offense and speed will see him stick at shortstop.”

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that a kid "should stick at SS" from US and overseas evaluators, I could have retired by now! lol 

I always take that stuff with several a grains of salt. What I listen for though are the ones that they don't say that about. They definitely are 2B at best or will need to move to the outfield. I just hope they have size or speed to make up for it or they're just tweeners. Of course as I know you know, the vast majority of these guys are going to fail, even the bonus babies. Just got to hit in a Basallo once in awhile and get one or two other decent guys a year that stay interesting at the upper levels to stay pertinent. 

Not sure if this is the right place but I was wondering what the life off  the field is for some of these players coming through our Latin American system.  

Are there educational standards and opportunities for them coming through?  Does MLB regulate this at all? 

English lessons, cultural lessons on life in America, financial education, etc?

As someone who has lived abroad for 5 years in places way worse then America,  I know how some of the cultural and language issues can affect someone.  Even as an adult it can be tough.  

Just curious what the support system and preparation they are giving for potentially moving to America.  

7 hours ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

Not sure if this is the right place but I was wondering what the life off  the field is for some of these players coming through our Latin American system.  

Are there educational standards and opportunities for them coming through?  Does MLB regulate this at all? 

As someone who has lived abroad for 5 years in places way worse then America,  I know how some of the cultural and language issues can affect someone.  Even as an adult it can be tough.  

Just curious what the support system and preparation they are giving for potentially moving to America.  

The Orioles posted a great video on their Dominican academy where they went into a lot of that. Yes, there is a lot of education both on and off the field for their players. You can watched the videos here.

On 6/25/2024 at 4:03 PM, RZNJ said:

Amparo made it to at least 49 PA with a strikeout but he went down once yesterday so the no K streaks are over.  Felix Amparo just edged out Adriander Mejia for the most PA without striking out.

Edited by RZNJ

On 6/28/2024 at 9:37 AM, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

yrbhpfendi1xhar23woq.jpg

Here is a link to programming content that MLB develops for clubs to deliver to DSL prospects. https://www.mlb.com/player-resource-center/hosted-programs

There’s basically a set of education sessions around safe driving, financial education, domestic violence, drugs, immigration law, US culture and customs, diversity and inclusion, and life skills.

Then every club offers English classes.

Finally, there is an optional high school program for the subset of players willing to make that commitment.

• Upvote 1