DSL Orioles 2024

RZNJ

12 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo's work rate is a little slower than yours!

In the story they touted "next Tuesday" they will unveil their updated Top 30's by org, now that the GM's have actually caught them up who is valuable.

H, they do a good job. I was just joshing on Nowick for mentioning the national guys like they discovered something first! :D

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

H, they do a good job. I was just joshing on Nowick for mentioning the national guys like they discovered something first! :D

You're right, I confess he wasn't on my radar yet, even though I see now you have him ranked #27 right behind golden boy Jud Fabian! :) Not too shabby for a 17-year-old (as of... today!) Happy birthday, Stiven! :)

Edited by now

Today was a pretty big day for Orioles Orange, sweeping a doubleheader from Brewers 1 and extending their lead in the DSL Northwest from 1.5 to 3.5 games, with 7 games remaining (8 for Brewers 1).   I believe that puts Orange’s magic number at 5 games.   

The highlight today was 5 shutout innings in the nightcap by Kevin Velasco, who allowed 2 hits and no walks, striking out 8.   Velasco has his ERA down to 1.22, with an 0.81 WHIP, 11.7 K/9, and 4.8 K/BB.

Edited by Frobby

Adrian Heredia threw 4 no-hit, shutout innings today, walking 3 and striking out 5.   He now has a scoreless streak of 14 innings over his last 3 outings, and has allowed 1 run over 25.2 innings dating back to July 8.  On the year: 1.79 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 11.2 K/9, 2.8 K/BB.   

At 19, he's a bit old for the DSL, but it's his first year of pro ball, so you still have to love those results.

• Upvote 1

If my math is right, the Orioles Orange team has a magic number of two to win the Northwest Division of the DSL.  They are 35-17 with 5 games remaining, while Brewers 1 is 29-20 with 6 games to play.  The Brewers team will finish the regular season having played two fewer games than Orioles Orange.  If they ended in a “virtual tie,” the Brewers would win out with a fractionally better winning percentage.  Orange is idle today, while the Brewers 1 play a Pirates affiliate.  Tomorrow, Orange plays and Brewers 1 has a doubleheader.   So, there’s a decent chance that Orange could clinch the division title tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

If my math is right, the Orioles Orange team has a magic number of two to win the Northwest Division of the DSL.  They are 35-17 with 5 games remaining, while Brewers 1 is 29-20 with 6 games to play.  The Brewers team will finish the regular season having played two fewer games than Orioles Orange.  If they ended in a “virtual tie,” the Brewers would win out with a fractionally better winning percentage.  Orange is idle today, while the Brewers 1 play a Pirates affiliate.  Tomorrow, Orange plays and Brewers 1 has a doubleheader.   So, there’s a decent chance that Orange could clinch the division title tomorrow.

I wonder where Elias would rate this as one of his accomplishments as Orioles GM from a team standpoint. Obviously AL east champs would be first but an argument could be made this is second. To see how far this organization has come in International signings/scouting may be the single biggest improvement. Keep up the great work Koby and CO.

Stiven Martinez hit a three-run homer in the bottom of the 9th to clinch the DSL Northwest tithe for Orioles Orange.  Currently, Orange has the 3rd-best record in the 55-team DSL, behind a Giants’ affiliate and a Rangers affiliate.  2nd place is still in play but the Giants are probably out of reach (3.5 games ahead of Orange with 4 games remaining).   

• Upvote 1

On the penultimate day of the DSL regular season, Orange and Black both won.  At 26-28, Black can’t quite claw its way to .500, but that’s a pretty decent record for our weaker team.  Orange at 37-18 has had a very strong year.  

The highlight of the day was the performance of Adrian Heredia, who allowed 1 run in 4 IP on 3 hits and no walks, striking out 6.   Heredia finished the regular season with a 1.83 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 11.4 K/9 and 3.1 K/9.   Although he’s 19, It was Heredia’s first pro season, so those are great results that should carry him to the FCL next spring.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Like 1

17-year old Esteban Luna finished the DSL regular season much like he started it, with 3 shutout innings on no hits and 2 walks, striking out 4.   His final regular season numbers: 1.70 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 8.7 K/9, 1.8 K/BB.  He never yielded a homer in 42.1 IP, and gave up only 5.1 H/9.   He’ll need to work on getting his walk rate down, but there’s a lot to like here from a 17-year old.  Hopefully Orange will get deep enough in the playoffs for Luna to make an appearance there.  

• Like 1

DSL Orioles Orange won their regular season finale to finish at 38-18, in a three-way tie for the 4th best record in the DSL.  Starting on Thursday, they have a 3-game quarterfinal playoff series with the DSL Angels, who also finished at 38-18 after a final day loss.  Unlike the Orioles and most other major league teams, the Angels have only one DSL affiliate.   

The format of the DSL playoffs is three rounds of 3-game series, running Aug. 22-24, 25-27 and 29-31.   

Orioles Black blew a 6-3 lead to lose 7-6 yesterday, finishing at 26-29, pretty respectable for the org’s “second” team.  There were 20 DSL teams with a worse record than that.

Overall I’d definitely say this was the strongest DSL performance by the Orioles during the Elias era.   There’s quite a few players who will be interesting to follow next year in the FCL or beyond.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Thanks 1

Orange lost to the Angels in the opener of their best of three playoff series, 4-3 in 10 innings.  They had a shot to tie it up with a runner on 3B and one out in the bottom of the 10th, but Ariander Mejia struck out and after a walk, Felix Amparo popped out to end the game.  That makes tomorrow an elimination game for Orange.   

Orioles Orange evened their series with the DSL Angels today, prevailing 4-3.   Esteban Luna [correction: Mejia] pitched the first four innings, allowing just one run, and Kevin Velasco followed by throwing 5 shutout frames to seal the win.   The two combined struck out 13 while allowing only 4 hits.  Orange had 12 hits and 5 stolen bases, so it’s surprising they only scored 4 runs.  The rubber game is tomorrow.  

Edited by Frobby