Orioles want Ackley?

So if he could poorly play the outfield consistently, he would be 2nd?

;)

I'm just kidding . . . I know what you mean. I find it interesting how the term consistent means consistently good/good enough.

In a similar way, it is like the term water quality in my field. People will ask you to measure water quality and mean characteristics like dissolved oxygen, temperature, nitrogen levels, etc. What is meant is for you to measure water characteristics that then can be modeled to determine if those characteristics are associated with concentrations that correlate to systems with acceptable water quality (read: relatively unstressed organisms are present).

Yes, this part of me drives Stotle nuts when I look over his reports.

Just the risk you run when you have a stat guy and a scouting guy working together :) You guys crack me up that you work so well together too.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been fun following Ackley's progress, but this will probably be my last post on him as this news from Churchill's blog pretty much says he won't make it to the Orioles.

Churchill says that the Orioles prefer Ackley (as I stated earlier) but Pittsburgh that has the #4 pick also wants him. So even if Ackley makes it past Seattle and SD, I can't see the Pirates passing on him with the 4th pick... :(

It's been fun following Ackley's progress, but this will probably be my last post on him as this news from Churchill's blog pretty much says he won't make it to the Orioles.

Churchill says that the Orioles prefer Ackley (as I stated earlier) but Pittsburgh that has the #4 pick also wants him. So even if Ackley makes it past Seattle and SD, I can't see the Pirates passing on him with the 4th pick... :(

No one thought your boy Smoak would fall as far as he did last year.

I dunno, I get the sipdey sense going that SD and PIT are both focused on easy sign pitching. I could imagine a world where Ackley drops.

I dunno, I get the sipdey sense going that SD and PIT are both focused on easy sign pitching. I could imagine a world where Ackley drops.

San Diego maybe, but Pittsburgh's new upper management means business. Not only did they dish out a lot of dough for Pedro Alvarez, but they are looking to spend over $4 million on 16-year old Dominican shortstop Miguel Angel Sano. They are going to take who they think is the best player for their team no matter what the cost, I believe.

San Diego maybe, but Pittsburgh's new upper management means business. Not only did they dish out a lot of dough for Pedro Alverez, but they are looking to spend over $4 million on 16-year old Dominican shortstop Miguel Angel Sano. They are going to take who they think is the best player for their team no matter what the cost, I believe.

That is the problem this year, as good as Ackley is, you can easily make the case that one of a couple pitchers are just as good. PIT has already talked to Scheppers about redrafting him, SD likes Matzek. It's not about money, it's about building the best team you can, if they consider a couple guys equal and Ackley is in that, then you consider that they have good OF depth and no pitching depth, but then again no one really knows how they slot everyone.

That is the problem this year, as good as Ackley is, you can easily make the case that one of a couple pitchers are just as good. PIT has already talked to Scheppers about redrafting him, SD likes Matzek. It's not about money, it's about building the best team you can, if they consider a couple guys equal and Ackley is in that, then you consider that they have good OF depth and no pitching depth, but then again no one really knows how they slot everyone.

Exactly, which is why I said Pittsburgh is "going to take who they think is the best player for their team no matter what the cost." I was just speaking on your comment about signability. If they believe Ackley is the best player for their team, they will take him. If they believe one of the arms is better, they will select a pitcher.

With that said, the Pirates already have Nate McLouth in the outfield with Jose Tabata in AA and Andrew McCutchen in AAA. Then maybe even Alvarez as a left field candidate if he cannot stick at 3B. But then again, our outfield with Markakis, Jones, Pie, and Reimold would not stop us from taking Ackley.

Exactly, which is why I said Pittsburgh is "going to take who they think is the best player for their team no matter what the cost." I was just speaking on your comment about signability. If they believe Ackley is the best player for their team, they will take him. If they believe one of the arms is better, they will select a pitcher.

With that said, the Pirates already have Nate McLouth in the outfield with Jose Tabata in AA and Andrew McCutchen in AAA. Then maybe even Alvarez as a left field candidate if he cannot stick at 3B. But then again, our outfield with Markakis, Jones, Pie, and Reimold would not stop us from taking Ackley.

Agreed, I didn't mean that they won't spend money, but they will want a quick sign and get them into the system this year as opposed to waiting a year. I would think they'd look at Gibson, Crow or Scheppers the hardest as they could use the pitching sooner than later, whereas SD is just starting to rebuild so a HS arm wouldn't slow them down.

Ackley had a good day against lesser pitching today. Single the other way in his first at bat, showing good hands (though he made contact a little far in front). Fooled the second time into a weak grounder (rolled over). Roped back-to-back doubles (first over CF head, second past the 1B down the line) then mashed a HR straight away. Impressive hands, good bat speed, looks like a good bet to hit for average (I know everyone knows this already). I question whether there will ultimately be much power (though I know his "power surge" has been discussed on this board throughout the season). Over the last two days he's been a little over-patient at times, but all in all good performances. BC's pitching has been stretched already these two days so he should be poised to mash all day tomorrow. Video will be up tomorrow. I'll take a look at my notes and give a more full report on the site.

Ross (CA): Hey Jim, who do you think is the overall #2 talent in this years draft behind Strasburg? By means of comparison, where do you think the #2 talent in this draft would have ranked in last years draft.

Jim Callis: Dustin Ackley. Special, special hitter and I don't think he'll have trouble moving to center field. He would have fit in very nicely in last year's draft with all those gifted college hitters. We rated Brian Matusz as the No. 2 talent before last year's draft, and I'd take Ackley over him.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/chat/2009/268105.html

Archived