AL playoff picture

eddie83

15 minutes ago, terpoh said:

I know it would take an epic, historic level collapse. But if we go 4-14 or 3-15 here to finish out, this could get very tight. Watching this team I believe that is certainly a possibility.

It wouldn't be unprecedented.  Phila. 1964.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You seem to have a pretty negative outlook on life.

It seems half the board now is just hoping they don’t to say see I told you so.  I haven’t been posting much lately for that reason just nit fun on board and discussing the team and organization.   Even in the dark days it was less negative.  

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

It seems half the board now is just hoping they don’t to say see I told you so.  I haven’t been posting much lately for that reason just nit fun on board and discussing the team and organization.   Even in the dark days it was less negative.  

I’m certainly guilty, but I think mine is more of the- I get up too high when things are good and too low when they are bad. The team has just been a hard watch over the past few months, has taken the wind outta the sails. And the craziest thing of all is that we can still win the whole damn thing. Hopefully we get 5-6 of our main guys back here next few weeks and make a run. It also would not be the first time.

47 minutes ago, terpoh said:

I know it would take an epic, historic level collapse. But if we go 4-14 or 3-15 here to finish out, this could get very tight. Watching this team I believe that is certainly a possibility.

Why?   This team has been playing badly for 70+ games... but the WORST 18 game stretch they have had at ANY time in that stretch is 7-11.  And that was back around the All Star Break.   The worst streatch they have been in any 18 game stretch since the All Star Break is 8-10.

Look, I'm not saying they aren't hugely disappointing.   Playing sub-.500 ball, 5 games under .500 for  70+ games is crappy.   But at no time at all have they ever had a stretch like 4-14 or 3-15.   So I don't know what makes you think that is a possibility from "watching this team".    

As bad and as disappointing as they have been, they haven't come close to having a 4-14 or 3-15 stretch.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

Why?   This team has been playing badly for 70+ games... but the WORST 18 game stretch they have had at ANY time in that stretch is 7-11.  And that was back around the All Star Break.   The worst streatch they have been in any 18 game stretch since the All Star Break is 8-10.

Look, I'm not saying they aren't hugely disappointing.   Playing sub-.500 ball, 5 games under .500 for  70+ games is crappy.   But at no time at all have they ever had a stretch like 4-14 or 3-15.   So I don't know what makes you think that is a possibility from "watching this team".    

As bad and as disappointing as they have been, they haven't come close to having a 4-14 or 3-15 stretch.

I was not saying this will happen, or predicting this to happen. It is very much not likely to happen as you pointed out- and we agree on that. But just because they haven't gone 4-14 so far this year, doesnt mean its not a possibility.

In the last 18, for example, they are 8-10 as you have pointed out.

Of those 8 wins, 5 of them came against three of the worst teams in baseball- Rockies/White Sox/Rays (5-4). We dont have teams like that left on the schedule. Do we get to 8 wins out of 18 without playing half of the games against three of the worst teams in baseball? Maybe, maybe not.

Another 2 of the wins came in the Astros series which took a heroic grand slam, and an unlikely pinch hit 3 run double from Holliday. Both of those hits came on the backs of Astros defensive miscues, and both of those hits came in games that we were otherwise lifeless/hapless like we have been for the majority of the last 70+ games. We were very fortunate to come away with two wins during that series. 

Again, I am not saying that we are going to go 4-14 to finish the season, and crazily enough 4-14 could still be enough to get into the playoffs even if it DID happen. If we went 4-14, the Red Sox/Mariners would have to go 14-4 over that same stretch to pass us, or the TIgers would have to go 13-5 (if they take the tie breaker). Its just something that seemed impossible 3 days ago, and now it may end up being something to monitor.

This might be the time when the bottom finally falls out. But I have thought it would happen a few times before now, and they have recovered each time. So we will see what happens. The AL as a whole is a very mediocre league this year. So this might help them to hang around.

4 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

This might be the time when the bottom finally falls out. But I have thought it would happen a few times before now, and they have recovered each time. So we will see what happens. The AL as a whole is a very mediocre league this year. So this might help them to hang around.

The Rangers went 4-16 in a 20 game stretch from August 16 - Sept 8 last season.    This gives me some  hope that the O's can find some magic by getting some people back and just turning things around.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

First of all, I run message boards for a living. Bottom line, it's all about two things. Facts and opinions. Let's concentrate on the opinion part for now. 

Yes, I agree there's a lot of negativity on the board right now. And yet, to me anyway, it's understandable. 99.9% of people here love the O's, myself included. We all had high hopes after last year's breakout.

And the season started out well. But it's been one injury after another. The team and the manager are pressing. They aren't fun to watch.

So sure at this point people are frustrated and kind of down on the team. That's human nature. Believe me, I'd love to see them go on a big winning streak but right now it doesn't look like it's in the cards. I hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 2