Organizational Turmoil?

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Where there smoke ….

Where is there smoke though? The article reads to me as "the O's are losing, I wonder what the clubhouse dynamic is like?"

Supposedly Hays "verified" the quote but the only thing I've heard that he's said is he likes the Phillies chances to win the WS.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The problem is we are getting piss poor baseball lately. Yes we can blame injuries. But, the offensive approach,poor defense, ? 

Oh I agree.  I don’t think Elias and Hyde have done a good job at integrating the young players over the last two years.  

For example, how much better would we have been with Ortiz at 2b last year?  

55 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

What did he say?

The story seems like nothing and that if anything, Hays was the one that may have been as issue and upset with a lack of consistent playing time. 

It was so quick and Haynie never addressed it. It was something like Hay’s attitude wouldn’t be missed by the other players. Unless I completely whiffed on the comment - and if so, I profusely apologize to Hays.

19 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

For me it’s the frustration of guys bouncing back and forth or being blocked. You don’t think Norby and Stowers haven’t voiced their frustrations about not getting a shot. They came through the organization with Adley and Gunnar. You don’t think they’ve talked with Mayo expressed his frustration with being blocked. Yes it’s a business but many of these guys are friends.

All the players want to be everyday starters in the majors. When that’s not happening for whatever reason, I’m sure that there is frustration at an individual level, especially in cases where a player feels like they could start for another team or they aren’t given the leash/role to succeed. 

Where I am skeptical is that this dynamic is negatively impacting the clubhouse vibe (actually Goon confirmed that this isn’t the case). 

Mayo is blocked by Mountcastle/O’Hearn who were both all-star finalists and has proven unreliable at 3rd base - he’s likely to be up by September 1 at the latest. Kjerstad is up now.  Holliday is returning from injury.  Norby has made 1 major top 100 prospect list ever and is on the team now.  Stowers has never made a major top 100 prospect list and has gotten some meaningful run at the MLB level this year.  I don’t see Elias hesitating to trade Norby/Stowers with a suitable return. Mullins hasn’t played well and has seen playing time decline as a result.

3 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

All the players want to be everyday starters in the majors. When that’s not happening for whatever reason, I’m sure that there is frustration at an individual level, especially in cases where a player feels like they could start for another team or they aren’t given the leash/role to succeed. 

Where I am skeptical is that this dynamic is negatively impacting the clubhouse vibe (actually Goon confirmed that this isn’t the case). 

Mayo is blocked by Mountcastle/O’Hearn who were both all-star finalists and has proven unreliable at 3rd base - he’s likely to be up by September 1 at the latest. Kjerstad is up now.  Holliday is returning from injury.  Norby has made 1 major top 100 prospect list ever and is on the team now.  Stowers has never made a major top 100 prospect list and has gotten some meaningful run at the MLB level this year.  I don’t see Elias hesitating to trade Norby/Stowers with a suitable return. Mullins hasn’t played well and has seen playing time decline as a result.

Many major league players don’t make a top 100 prospect list. Stowers has a .797 OPS. What else does he need to do? We’ve picked up a kid from the Phillies who has proven over 3 or 4 seasons that he’s not a MLB hitter and can’t be sent down. It was a stupid pick up…. Get the reliever and a A ball player. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I just got through the payroll to read the story. There are no quotes or sources. The following paragraph states "the locker room has not fractured or turned sour--not at all..." Just a bunch of vague speculation. 

So the question is what did Hays say when he "confirmed" the story? Just that the veterans are pressing?

This is all BS...never believe what you don't see and only believe half of what you see. Hays, as a right handed bat had every opportunity to get plenty of playing time and sucked.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Many major league players don’t make a top 100 prospect list. Stowers has a .797 OPS. What else does he need to do? We’ve picked up a kid from the Phillies who has proven over 3 or 4 seasons that he’s not a MLB hitter and can’t be sent down. It was a stupid pick up…. Get the reliever and a A ball player. 

Pache’s role is defensive replacement and pinch runner.  He is better suited to that role than Stowers.  

Stowers is behind four left-handed batting (or switch) outfielders on the depth chartSantander, Mullins, Cowser, and Kjerstad.  He doesn’t fit as a platoon partner and there are only rare cases when it makes sense to use him as a pinch hitter for Mountcastle, Norby, Urias, Westburg, or McCann.

Stowers only fits if you play him ahead of Kjerstad.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 398 to Left said:

Maybe not related but did anyone hear Keith Law with Haynie yesterday, right after the news broke that Hays had been traded? Law made a comment that I thought centered around the negative thoughts from Hays teammates towards him. (I was surprised and I know, it’s Law). Did anyone else hear that and maybe correct my version in case I heard it wrong?

I heard the same thing,

35 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The problem is we are getting piss poor baseball lately. Yes we can blame injuries. But, the offensive approach,poor defense, ? 

You know how they say, location, location, location.

Well, it’s pitching, pitching, pitching.  We can nitpick this or that.   Teams go into hitting slumps.  Teams make errors.   Closers blow saves.   If we had been getting good, consistent starting pitching during this stretch we would be able to weather the storm.

There are two main problems.  We need one more, at least #3 starter, after acquiring Eflin and we need a Tanner Scott type guy who can co-close with Kimbrel.

When the team wins you don’t hear about any of these clubhouse conspiracy theories.    We need to give Kjerstad a longer leash in LF to see if he’s viable out there, particularly at home.   We need to give last night’s lineup a good run.

47 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

For me it’s the frustration of guys bouncing back and forth or being blocked. You don’t think Norby and Stowers haven’t voiced their frustrations about not getting a shot. They came through the organization with Adley and Gunnar. You don’t think they’ve talked with Mayo expressed his frustration with being blocked. Yes it’s a business but many of these guys are friends.

Not just friends, but colleagues in the MLBPA.

Iron sharpens iron is fun to say while a group is growing together, but inevitably the sharpest tools get put to the work at hand, and the others go back to the smelter.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

I think Mullins could be next.  To me, it was basically a "prove it" year for anyone competing for OF positions.  My biggest question is do they amp up the "try outs" for 2nd and 3rd base now.

Pache's presence in yesterday's deal makes me wonder this one more too.

Elias' portfolio for me is in some ways like Noah's Ark:   Hays/Mullins, Grayson/DL, Adley/Holliday, Gunnar/Westburg, Cowser/Kjerstad.

Trick is...Phillies were the Mullins favorites but Dombrowski prioritized Hays.    What other club?    How bad is Julio's ankle sprain?

That was a weird trade Dipoto offloading Ryne Stanek the same day he got Yimi Garcia....financial constraints?     I think the Orioles have some latent payroll capacity that might help with Luis Castillo...

• Upvote 1