Rowell speaks about ...

Fairfax Bird

Why so? Have you ever actually played the OF? If so you would know you need to be up on the balls of your feet ready to spring into motion at the crack of the bat, not standing flat footed like a slug!

Yes, I was an OFer, but that really isn't relevant. Could he just be a lazy, disinterested, slug? Sure. Is it more likely that his comfort position happens to be flat-footed, and that he needs to be broken from that habit? I would guess so.

I know you don't like Rowell. Heck, I'm not exactly high on the guy's prospect status. Still, I don't see any reason to jump to conclusions about a player I haven't seen and a person I don't know.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I was an OFer, but that really isn't relevant. Could he just be a lazy, disinterested, slug? Sure. Is it more likely that his comfort position happens to be flat-footed, and that he needs to be broken from that habit? I would guess so.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't know if its his comfort position, but I don't see a guy who's 6'4" standing on the balls of his heels out in the outfield. When the team comes back in town next week, I'll have to ask him about that.

In recollecting to my days in the OF picking dandelions (okay, maybe not the last part of that), but in the outfield, I remember playing the position flat-footed. It felt more natural to me, otherwise I felt like uncomfortable like I was falling forward a bit.

Most T-Ball OFers are flat-footed before the pitch. It is a boring position to play.

Fixed that for ya. If an OF was flat footed as the pitch was coming in even my HS coach would have been on his case. For a professional to be doing this is inexcusable, lazy and down right unprofessional. I don't care if he is learning the position or not. That is the first thing he should know. Some of you can excuse this lout all you want but he is sounding like a problem every way you can be one, coming and going.

Fixed that for ya. If an OF was flat footed as the pitch was coming in even my HS coach would have been on his case. For a professional to be doing this is inexcusable, lazy and down right unprofessional. I don't care if he is learning the position or not. That is the first thing he should know. Some of you can excuse this lout all you want but he is sounding like a problem every way you can be one, coming and going.

How about we have a moratorium on your critiques of Rowell's character until you've seen him play or met him? Deal?

I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't know if its his comfort position, but I don't see a guy who's 6'4" standing on the balls of his heels out in the outfield. When the team comes back in town next week, I'll have to ask him about that.

In recollecting to my days in the OF picking dandelions (okay, maybe not the last part of that), but in the outfield, I remember playing the position flat-footed. It felt more natural to me, otherwise I felt like uncomfortable like I was falling forward a bit.

I think some of you are confused here on this. It is okay to be flatfooted until the pitcher goes into his windup. At that time you better be ready and on the balls of you feet. If not, you are not gonna get a good jump, pure and simple. Outfield is just like any other position. You play it like every pitch is going to result in the ball coming your way. (If you want to be good that is).

Of course, if you don't give a rat's hindquarters you can stand out there picking your nose, and hoping the ball gets hit to anyone else but you. I assume that is how some of you played your outfield position by the nature of some of your inane comments. :rolleyestf::rolleyes:

I may be wrong on some or even many things but I am infallibly correct on my take on this. It is basic baseball 101.

How about we have a moratorium on your critiques of Rowell's character until you've seen him play or met him? Deal?

I don't need to meet this guy to know he is a real heel. Everything he does is the opposite of what he needs to be doing except shutting his mouth and playing the game like he should be to earn his inflated and undeserved signing bonus. If I ever did meet him I would probably be disgusted. It sounds like even Trembley would want to kick his sorry tail as Dave's mantra is to respect the game, something apparently this guy doesn't get.

I don't need to meet this guy to know he is a real heel. Everything he does is the opposite of what he needs to be doing except shutting his mouth and playing the game like he should be to earn his inflated and undeserved signing bonus. If I ever did meet him I would probably be disgusted. It sounds like even Trembley would want to kick his sorry tail as Dave's mantra is to respect the game, something apparently this guy doesn't get.

Well, it is true that I don't need to meet you to know that you're a buffoon. So I guess I should ease up on this requirement.

Well, it is true that I don't need to meet you to know that you're a buffoon. So I guess I should ease up on this requirement.

And you are a baseball know-it-all wannabe. Were you the batboy for your minor Little League team?:rofl:

Tony and others, what do ya'll think Rowell needs to do in order to get back on track this year? I'm talking about in terms of a stat line he needs to put up in order to be considered the prospect he once was.

I'd like to see the average come up and of course the power. If he puts up a line of .275-18-.800 OPS with an improved K-BB ratio I would call the season a success.

I think some of you are confused here on this. It is okay to be flatfooted until the pitcher goes into his windup. At that time you better be ready and on the balls of you feet. If not, you are not gonna get a good jump, pure and simple. Outfield is just like any other position. You play it like every pitch is going to result in the ball coming your way. (If you want to be good that is).

Of course, if you don't give a rat's hindquarters you can stand out there picking your nose, and hoping the ball gets hit to anyone else but you. I assume that is how some of you played your outfield position by the nature of some of your inane comments. :rolleyestf::rolleyes:

I may be wrong on some or even many things but I am infallibly correct on my take on this. It is basic baseball 101.

Do you even know what flat-footed means. No regular OFer is on his toes like an infielder.

Tony and others, what do ya'll think Rowell needs to do in order to get back on track this year? I'm talking about in terms of a stat line he needs to put up in order to be considered the prospect he once was.

Somewhere around .270-.285 average with 15-20 HR's and an improved K/BB rate. With a much improved lineup from a year ago, I think Rowell won't be as pressured in his at-bats and he can be a more aggressive hitter.

Do you even know what flat-footed means. No regular OFer is on his toes like an infielder.

Where did I say that? I just said he has to be ready like an infielder for the ball to be hit his way. He should be on the balls of his feet leaning slightly forward and in anticipation of where the pitch is likely to be located and thus more likely to be hit.

Don't tell me that I don't know how to play the outfield. I am 54 years old and I would bet the title of my truck I could shag flies as good or better than you right now.

Where did I say that? I just said he has to be ready like an infielder for the ball to be hit his way. He should be on the balls of his feet leaning slightly forward and in anticipation of where the pitch is likely to be located and thus more likely to be hit.

Don't tell me that I don't know how to play the outfield. I am 54 years old and I would bet the title of my truck I could shag flies as good or better than you right now.

Your a joke. A complete joke.

Where is that ignore function.....

Archived