Is McCann the better catcher right now?

Rbiggs2525

4 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Yeah I think it lot more who the starting pitcher is then the starting catcher.  We are 9-1 in games started by Burnes, GRod, and Efflin.  We are 2-9 started by the other guys.  

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, I'm not about to start giving the catchers as much credit as the pitchers.  It definitely makes a difference, but you have to have something to work with.  The likes of Povich, Irvin and McDermott lately, I don't think it would matter if Bench, I Rod or Berra were catching them.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

McCann 3.83, Rutschman 3.97 before tonight.  

I meant with each pitcher though, not in total. Like, what is each starter's individual ERA with McCann vs Adley?

Just now, G54377 said:

I meant with each pitcher though, not in total. Like, what is each starter's individual ERA with McCann vs Adley?

You can look up any pitcher’s splits by catcher on that pitcher’s BB-ref page.

As we get rid of the umps, maybe we should also get rid of the catching position? Too many a great player has been ground down to mediocrity by it. Have a standard throw to second speed, but then let each team develop its own AI software to control pitch calling, snap throws to first, etc.

3 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

As we get rid of the umps, maybe we should also get rid of the catching position? Too many a great player has been ground down to mediocrity by it. Have a standard throw to second speed, but then let each team develop its own AI software to control pitch calling, snap throws to first, etc.

Just put a wicket behind the plate like in cricket

8 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

?????

I'm all for robo-umps but not for removing the catcher position.  Too radical a change.  But you could still have an ump behind the plate for checked swings, etc and have a standardized strike zone.  Just get those right.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You can look up any pitcher’s splits by catcher on that pitcher’s BB-ref page.

Yea but I want someone to post a nice neat graph for me right here

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Cuellar35 said:

?????

I'm all for robo-umps but not for removing the catcher position.  Too radical a change.  But you could still have an ump behind the plate for checked swings, etc and have a standardized strike zone.  Just get those right.

I’m no robot fanboy, but I think robo catcher might be kinda cool. Catcher is the least athletic position to begin with, and now the thunder of their most exciting plays  are muffled as we watch replays trying to decide if the runner’s foot came off the bag a micron for a millisecond or when exactly they were impeding the plate. All the intangible stuff like rapport and play calling seem just as interesting—if not more so—in an AI as in a grizzled veteran.

34 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Get rid of pitchers since they just break down all the time anyway.  Can't pitching machines be programmed to throw about any pitch that exists?  Your team would draft a certain number of pitching machines every year and then they would break down at random intervals to be replaced by lesser machines.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, I'm not about to start giving the catchers as much credit as the pitchers.  It definitely makes a difference, but you have to have something to work with.  The likes of Povich, Irvin and McDermott lately, I don't think it would matter if Bench, I Rod or Berra were catching them.

There is a reason why Martin Maldonado had a 14 year MLB career. It’s not because of his .203 career batting average. We just saw Austin Hedges with his .187 career batting average last week in Cleveland. Nobody said to give catchers the same credit as pitchers but it is something. Eflin had a 4 ERA when we traded for him. Grayson’s was 3.86 before he was injured. We aren’t talking about Zito, Mulder and Hudson here.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

I believe it 6 straight.  It does help that 3 are Efflin starts 1 GRod 1 Burns and 1 Suarez start.  

Well there’s your answer right there. Put McCann with two starts each of Rogers, Kremer and Suarez and I bet he wouldn’t be 6-0

2 hours ago, terpoh said:

Well there’s your answer right there. Put McCann with two starts each of Rogers, Kremer and Suarez and I bet he wouldn’t be 6-0

That’s an assumption. You can only catch who the starting pitcher is that day. Half this site questioned Eflin’s impact during the trade deadline so let’s not act like he’s Pedro Martinez now. 

I would like to know the logic in throwing the exact same pitch 3-4 times in a row. There must be some but I can’t think what it might be.

I remember an at bat with Kevin Gausman and Wieters, I think, against Texas.

Gausman threw-If I remember correctly- 7 consecutive pitches to exactly the same spot, and on the seventh, the guy hit it for a single after fouling off several.

So stupid. But what amazes me about Gausman was how consistent he was in that sequence.

Every time AR calls for a third consecutive same pitch, I get annoyed.

On 8/10/2024 at 7:34 AM, Rbiggs2525 said:

That’s an assumption. You can only catch who the starting pitcher is that day. Half this site questioned Eflin’s impact during the trade deadline so let’s not act like he’s Pedro Martinez now. 

I was underwhelmed by the trade pickups, but I was happiest about Eflin.

So far so good.

Soto/Rogers on the other hand….woof.