TT: This is who the Orioles are right now (23-27 in last 50 games)

Tony-OH

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Fedde had 2 clunkers, 2 solid, and 1 meh start with the Cards. But who are you more bullish on going forward? Rogers or Fedde? Come on, now.

As for Kopech: I’m not a GM or a scout. I just play one on this forum. But it’s mighty telling how much Elias whiffed on Soto but how well Gomes did with Kopech. They unlocked something. It’s clear the O’s haven’t unlocked anything with Soto nor Rogers so far.

That’s not to say that Eflin wasn’t a great pick, he was. And Seranthony has been solid, alas he has some warts. Slater and Eloy are fine role players, I’ll give Elias those picks.

But man, Rogers and Soto felt like desperation signings. 

Fedde has made 3 starts for the Cardinals .  
 5 ip 5 er 
5 ip 1 er 
6ip 4er 

I am not bullish on either guy they are both back end starters that you are just hoping give you a chance to win 50-60% of the times they take the mound.  So far Rodgers has done that twice out of 4.  I would like more innings but that is the same with most all starters now the way teams protect them with pitch count limits.  

3 hours ago, Baseball fandom said:

SG was Kopech biggest supporter what was his final verdict if the Orioles should had went for him?

FWIW, I’m having some revisionist history as I’m sure I’d have been irked if the O’s got Kopech, but I’d be more bullish of Kopech over Soto just because Soto really is only any good against lefties. And Kopech was and is a huge upside guy. And he also was under control through next year. That’s the kind of risk you take if you’re going to. Not Soto.

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

Fedde has made 3 starts for the Cardinals .  
 5 ip 5 er 
5 ip 1 er 
6ip 4er 

I am not bullish on either guy they are both back end starters that you are just hoping give you a chance to win 50-60% of the times they take the mound.  So far Rodgers has done that twice out of 4.  I would like more innings but that is the same with most all starters now the way teams protect them with pitch count limits.  

Sorry I looked at last 5. I actually don’t mind that 6 IP, 4 ER start. At least he’s going 5-6 IP. 

57 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I agree, but how does this offense go from being one of the best to not very good in just two months?

And where o where has Mounty's power gone to? 

Moving on from the crappy vets like Urias, Eloy, Slater, and Mullins and giving Mayo and Kjerstad everyday at bats will give the offense a fighting chance to reach another gear, and getting Westburg back will obviously help a lot as well. 

2 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Moving on from the crappy vets like Urias, Eloy, Slater, and Mullins and giving Mayo and Kjerstad everyday at bats will give the offense a fighting chance to reach another gear, and getting Westburg back will obviously help a lot as well. 

Mayo is a butcher with the glove/arm, and he isn’t hitting a lick. You could stick with him, but there’s no guarantee he starts hitting. And Kjerstad would be getting regular ABs but he has concussion symptoms and was hitting very poorly after getting off the concussion IL.

Urias has been hitting. So has Slater, Eloy. And Mullins has been hitting very well the last 28 games.

I do agree that the O’s need Westy. This lineup against lefties is lackluster lately.

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

Games scoring 0 runs: 4 (t-1st)

Games scoring 1 or fewer runs: 14 (t-3rd)

Games scoring 2 or fewer runs: 29 (t-3rd)

Games scoring 3 or fewer runs: 44 (6th)

NOTE: The rank provided is from fewest occasions to most. In other words, we have been shut out the fewest times in baseball. And so on.

I did a quick check from last year 

Games scoring 0 runs  9 times 

Games scoring 1 or fewer  21 times 

Games scoring 2 or fewer 40 times 

Games scoring 3 or fewer 60 times 

So the offense is on pace to be lower in all 4 categories compared to last year and that with offense down slightly from last year.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Odd time to call out that group of guys. 2nd half OPS: Mullins .871, Slater .775, Jimenez .758, Urias .740 (before today's HR and double)

You're right that these guys will be moved on from sooner or later, but they're not exactly dragging down the offense at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Mayo is a butcher with the glove/arm, and he isn’t hitting a lick. You could stick with him, but there’s no guarantee he starts hitting. And Kjerstad would be getting regular ABs but he has concussion symptoms and was hitting very poorly after getting off the concussion IL.

Urias has been hitting. So has Slater, Eloy. And Mullins has been hitting very well the last 28 games.

I do agree that the O’s need Westy. This lineup against lefties is lackluster lately.

Mayo will hit, just like Westburg and Cowser eventually started to hit. It's not good player development to immediately platoon an elite prospect like Hyde and Elias have done with all 3 of those young studs. 

Urias has been hitting, but Elias needs to stop catering to mediocre veterans like Odor, Frazier, Mateo, and Urias. Urias is simply NOT anything more than an average hitter at his absolute best, and his defense has significantly declined since 2022. Yet Hyde and Elias treat him as if he's still the same defender. He gets the benefit of the doubt based on nothing but experience and reputation, while Mayo wasn't given more than 3 consecutive starts in a row after 2 straight seasons performing as one of the very best right-handed power bats in all of minor league baseball.

Mayo is a future cornerstone of this organization, play him now so that he's more likely to be able to contribute in the playoffs.

Slater has been awful this season overall. Same with Eloy. Elias needs to be smarter than to buy into clear recent sample size luck like he did with Aaron Hicks, another terrible veteran overvalued by Elias and Hyde.

Jimenez now has a .666 OPS on the season, and that includes an incredibly lucky, unsustainable 12-24 stretch after joining the Orioles. Eloy pounds the ball into the ground at a grotesque 60%+ rate, which has been 70%+ plus for the Orioles. He's one of the worst defenders in the league, one of the slowest runners in baseball, and one of the most injury-prone players in baseball. Why does Elias love buying low on bad players like this? It's absurd.

Edited by Brooks The Great

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Odd time to call out that group of guys. 2nd half OPS: Mullins .871, Slater .775, Jimenez .758, Urias .740 (before today's HR and double)

You're right that these guys will be moved on from sooner or later, but they're not exactly dragging down the offense at the moment. 

See my post above. Elias needs to be better than to buy into recent luck, and simply favor declining veterans. Talent should matter more to him than it does. 

25 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

See my post above. Elias needs to be better than to buy into recent luck, and simply favor declining veterans. Talent should matter more to him than it does. 

Yes Elias has been a horrible decision maker.  

2 hours ago, gtman55 said:

Exactly. Screw numbers. I have eyeballs. Like you said, stats can be manipulated. We have games where we win 12-7 followed by a string of games where we get 4 hits and 1 or 2 runs.

This team isn't clutch. We rarely come from behind. We have no closer. Remember last year when we couldn't lose a series? Now we just hope we don't get swept.

Yep and here we are again 3 runs tonight. Even yesterday with 4 runs they got a measley  3 hits. People can keep throwing out these stats but they mean nothing. Its what I see. I see a team that explodes for like 12 runs then the next 4 games they struggle to get 2 or 3. 

There not sequencing. On a night when Urias comes up big again, (Career game against Boston that got flushed) You also so had Selby and Aikin come up huge. 3 guys you least expected to come up big, but everybody else went missing. ( well Mounty didhave 2 hits though) Forget about guys possibly coming back from injury, if they want to snap out of this, guys that are that are slumping need to get better.

6 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

I did a quick check from last year 

Games scoring 0 runs  9 times 

Games scoring 1 or fewer  21 times 

Games scoring 2 or fewer 40 times 

Games scoring 3 or fewer 60 times 

So the offense is on pace to be lower in all 4 categories compared to last year and that with offense down slightly from last year.  

Baseball is about more than runs scored though, right? Last year's bullpen was substantially better which means we had more wins in those close, low scoring games.

It’s the offense. We stopped scoring after the Yankees game we put up 17. 

Mounty has an around a 700 OPS since May. I don’t even want to look up Adley’s OPS over the last 30-45 days. O’Hearn cooled off. We lost Westburg. That’s 4/9 hitters that are either hurt or struggling. 

We are who we are. We’ve fired all of our bullets. It’s time for our players to start to produce. 

Edited by sportsfan8703