8/28 at LA Dodgers

WillyM

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

When you look back at his career, Burnes has only had one good playoff start under his belt. 

Watching him fold when the team needs him most, watching how he gives up leads when his offense battle back, is starting to tell me that the guy is missing that next gear.

Not everyone can handle the pressure of being the guy. Burnes is starting to show he's not that guy. Someone is going to give him a lot of money and be sad about it because he's going to fold up like a chair when the pressure is on.

Everyone keeps saying that someone will give him a bag of money. To me, he has hurt his value a lot in this second half. If he's injured, he should say it.

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

He was never an ace. He just looked good in comparison to what was being trotted out there. An ace K's people and throws some shutouts. He does neither.

He won a Cy Young.  He led the AL in ERA at one point near the ASB.  He was definitely regarded as a top 10 pitcher in the game at the beginning of the year.  To say the Burnes has never been an ace is just foolish.

For those saying he's "great" but not lately. No, great don't absolutely suck after the trade deadline. Great doesn't cough up leads his offense gives him. Great doesn't pitch to 8+ ERA over a 6 start stretch.

Burnes was very good earlier in the year, but when the pressure started to rise, he's absolutely wilted. I can't say he doesn't have the heart, because I don't think it's that, It's just some guys don't pitch well under the pressure of having to be "the guy" or when a team is in a pennant race.

No way I'm giving him the money he'll want after this stretch. True Ace's don't do this.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Everyone keeps saying that someone will give him a bag of money. To me, he has hurt his value a lot in this second half. If he's injured, he should say it.

The velocity is there and the spin is there. He's just making bad pitches and has lost his changeup. Sometimes pitchers lose their changeup when they grip it too hard. Pressure and stress can do that to a pitcher.