Burnes certainly hasn't pitched like an ACE

Roy Firestone

This was a game a true ace has to win. He was paired against a struggling pitcher, and our "ace" hasn't been dominant in the last 3-4 starts. As I expected Burnes came up small even though the  line said he was only charged with one earned run(Ohtani's leadoff  first inning HR was another thing an "ace" doesnt give up).When Urias made a horrible error , an "ace" bears down and doesn't groove a pitch for a 3-run HR which was basically the game right there.Then tack on a terrible wild pitch in which the runner took TWO bases, another Henderson error on a routine play, and there you have it. Our Ace has given up 6 runs in all and there was little evidence he will be the dominating pitcher we saw in the first half of the season. I know the errors were the key to the game, but usually the great pitchers find a way to overcome the extra outs...and Burnes didnt do that.I know Eflin will return to the rotation in the Colorado series, and then two weeks later, Grayson. But if Burnes keeps pitching like this, it will be a very, very short post season. All and all a very disappointing performance from our so called "Ace",,and the defense was pitiful too. A winnable game...and a lost opportunity.

• Upvote 1

We are a young and extremely flawed team.  We likely do not go far at all.  

Henderson is the king of errors lately.  It is a disappointment.  Adley also is a major disappointment.  Maybe next year they bloom.  But next year we wont have Burnes or Santander.  So we will just suck in different ways.

• Upvote 1

We seem to have made a lot of errors behind him. Earlier in the season he would battle out of it.  More recently it seems like he has had trouble, almost as if he is letting it get to him mentally.  It is odd that the stuff is as good as it is, but the results don’t follow. 

With a team as injured as we are, your ace has to come through. Right now we literally don't have a single starting pitcher you can feel confident in. Hard to believe that Suarez may currently be our most reliable starter. Let's hope Eflin's back ASAP!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

All true.  Sad but true.  Deeply flawed team 

I thought we were banged up in 2014, but damn…

9/13 pitching options are hurt 

Westburg, Mateo, and Mounty on IL. 

Adley is clearly banged up. Back/shoulder?

The goal is just to get in and see what happens. With all the pitching injuries, Rubenstein is gonna have to pump some FA bucks into the rotation. 

I don’t disagree. The guy has folded like a house of cards. Coming up absolutely tiny. Yeah, 3 errors are unacceptable. But so is coming up tiny when it matters from your ace. August he’s been awful. No other way around it. That was a winnable game. The bullpen did their job. The defense and Burnes did not.

5 hours ago, baltfan said:

We seem to have made a lot of errors behind him. Earlier in the season he would battle out of it.  More recently it seems like he has had trouble, almost as if he is letting it get to him mentally.  It is odd that the stuff is as good as it is, but the results don’t follow. 

Burnes relies on a good defense behind him: his S0/9 rate peaked in his two best seasons (2020, 2021) at 13.3 (CYA-6) and 12.6 (CYA). Last season it was 9.3 and this year it's 8.2--that's a huge drop.

Edited by LA2

31 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Burnes relies on a good defense by him: his S0/9 rate peaked in his two best seasons (2020, 2021) at 13.3 (CYA-6) and 12.6 (CYA). Last season it was 9.3 and this year it's 8.2--that's a huge drop!

Defense can’t catch dingers.

Just now, theobird said:

This one is not on Burnes. This one is on the defense. And I know it’s not popular on here, but your ss cannot be a butcher. Henderson needs to right the ship, or he needs a new position

The defense was certainly a factor but nothibg that happened last night caused Burnes to give up those 2 homers, especially the one to Hernandez, which was an awful pitch that he crushed.

Burnes isn’t getting Ks and is giving up too many homers.  He did miss a lot of bats last night, so that may be a good sign.

Look, the defense was brutal last night. They looked like a single A club out there. But a veteran TOR pitcher like Burnes shouldn't let that faze him. Just keep pitching his game. Clearly though, the errors in the field seem to affect him. And the hanging meatball to Hernandez was a pathetic pitch.

6 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

This was a game a true ace has to win. He was paired against a struggling pitcher, and our "ace" hasn't been dominant in the last 3-4 starts. As I expected Burnes came up small even though the  line said he was only charged with one earned run(Ohtani's leadoff  first inning HR was another thing an "ace" doesnt give up).When Urias made a horrible error , an "ace" bears down and doesn't groove a pitch for a 3-run HR which was basically the game right there.Then tack on a terrible wild pitch in which the runner took TWO bases, another Henderson error on a routine play, and there you have it. Our Ace has given up 6 runs in all and there was little evidence he will be the dominating pitcher we saw in the first half of the season. I know the errors were the key to the game, but usually the great pitchers find a way to overcome the extra outs...and Burnes didnt do that.I know Eflin will return to the rotation in the Colorado series, and then two weeks later, Grayson. But if Burnes keeps pitching like this, it will be a very, very short post season. All and all a very disappointing performance from our so called "Ace",,and the defense was pitiful too. A winnable game...and a lost opportunity.

This is 100%. Moose gets out of these jams. Burnes doesn't have it and any team paying him will be foolish.