Mullins lead off double in third inning

webbrick2010

12 minutes ago, kaj21206 said:

Should Urias scored on Mullins single in the fifth?  On TV it looked like a hit off the bat?

Gunnar probably senses the hit and goes for it. However, you have to be sure because you have a 65% chance of scoring on the next play. Ramon obviously wasn't sure. 

45 minutes ago, kaj21206 said:

Should Urias scored on Mullins single in the fifth?  On TV it looked like a hit off the bat?

It was a bit of a tough read.  I wish Urías had read it better, but I wouldn’t say it was a huge screw up, either.   A lot of players would have done the same.  

1 hour ago, MacAdoo said:

Better question to me is why wasn’t McCann bunting?  Or is he completely incapable of doing so?  You have your ace  on the mound dealing against the opposition ace who was looking super sharp as well. Move Ced to 3rd with your best two hitters coming up. Take the 1-0 lead. 

McCann can certainly bunt. Last season he got a bunt down in a game in Tampa that would have hit him in the face if he would not have made contact with the ball. Unfortunately small ball is not in Hyde's DNA. This team has not been good at producing runs in these situations. Homers are great but so is advancing runners via productive outs and this team stinks at it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, phxosfan said:

McCann can certainly bunt. Last season he got a bunt down in a game in Tampa that would have hit him in the face if he would not have made contact with the ball. Unfortunately small ball is not in Hyde's DNA. This team has not been good at producing runs in these situations. Homers are great but so is advancing runners via productive outs and this team stinks at it.

It was egregious to not have McCann attempt to bunt over Mullins after his leadoff double. It was was apparent by that point of the game it was going to be low scoring and it was an opportunity to get on the scoreboard first.

Yes McCann has been great recently, but odds are his September hot streak wasn't going to last forever and it was only 34 at bats. If the Orioles offense was humming today then let McCann swing away.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was sitting near 1B.  There’s no way Mullins was getting a triple there.  

I was sitting near third base. I agree with you, but the guy sitting behind me was adamant that it was a triple to include several loud F-bombs to apparently emphasize how sure he was. Of course, he was one of those guys who spent the entire game pontificating loudly so that we could all admire his vast knowledge of baseball strategy. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, schittenden said:

I was sitting near third base. I agree with you, but the guy sitting behind me was adamant that it was a triple to include several loud F-bombs to apparently emphasize how sure he was. Of course, he was one of those guys who spent the entire game pontificating loudly so that we could all admire his vast knowledge of baseball strategy. 

You should have said hello to OnlyOneOriole from all of us at Orioles Hangout.

• Haha 2