Wait Till Next Year

Uli2001

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I thought Elias would take this team philosophy from a swing the for fences low OBP bunch to a group more focused on working counts, getting on base, and making contact. It appeared that way to me before the wheels fell off around mid season. I’m sure it’s been exaggerated here but we can’t seem to score runs without hitting dingers. Do you get it now? 

Just to be as clear as possible, when they were doing better early in the season, they were swinging more, not less.

4/1 - 6/30: 7.2 BB%, 49.3% swing rate, 29.8% out of zone swing rate, 22.2% whiff rate, .316 OBP

7/1 - 9/30: 8.7 BB%, 47.8% swing rate, 29.0% out of zone swing rate, 22.4% whiff rate, .315 OBP

2023: 8.4 BB%, 47.8% swing rate, 29.9% out of zone swing rate, 23.0% whiff rate, .321 OBP

They took less walks early in the year, they swung more often at both balls and strikes early in the year, and their OBP/whiff rates were essentially identical in both halves. 

The notion that they turned into free-swinging hackers in the second half — and that’s why they failed — seems to be pretty commonly held here, but it’s not backed by any data. They were actually more patient at the plate in this season’s second half than they’ve ever been during the Adley era.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I was given three free tix to see them in Durham in '23. They oversold the tix, ie. the seats were not assigned, first come / first serve,  the line to get in was ridiculously long, and we had to stand in the miserable heat and humidity of a NC summer.  Worst baseball in person experience of my life. Just goofy from the little I got to see in the three person deep standing room only crowd. We left after three innings or whatever they call it in their version of the game. Way too loud, too. Just too much BS going on. It was like the baseball version of drinking WAY too much gin and fruit punch and the wild colors give you the bed spins. 
    • This series loss is really tough to get over. As much as I’m not surprised by it, it’s such a disappointment. I keep thinking of that sequence of Ced’s HR and bases loaded, and we somehow couldn’t come away with the lead. That was absolutely demoralizing. It’s hard to not accidentally score a run there.
    • A RH power bat to stick somewhere in the 3-4-5 slots. I would see what the Giants might want in a trade for Heliot Ramos. He hit .370 / .439 / .750 against LH pitchers this year, and would look awesome in the middle of all our lefty batters.  
    • Early in the offseason and my opinions may change, but here are my thoughts at this time. 1st - I'm ready to move on from Mountcastle.  And O'Hearn should only be a platoon option.  I hope we sign someone like a Alonso or Walker who doesn't have massive L/R splits and who can play on a daily basis, regardless of who is on the mound, and make both Ryans expendable, and we trade them for whatever we can get.  Otherwise we probably keep the platoon going, with the Ryan's splitting based on the SP.  Unfortunately Mayo hasn't show anything in the majors to make me think he's ready to be a regular in the lineup yet.  That could change in the spring, but right now we can't plan on him. 2nd - This is Holidays spot to start the season.  We won't be bringing in any competition for this spot.  Holiday didn't earn it by his play, but his pedigree and the money/time invested into him will give him a pretty long leash, for good or bad.  If he falters Westburg may be moved off of 3rd to play here instead. SS - Gunnar is here.  We won't be bringing in any competition for this spot. 3rd - Westburg.  He should hold this spot down unless Holiday struggles, and then he might be moved over the 2nd.  We don't bring in any real competition for this spot. Util - I don't like it, but I expect us to keep both Mateo and Urias, though I'm not 100% sure if we think Mateo will be ready for OD.  If Mateo isn't expected to be ready then I can see us bringing in someone for this role, though I'm not sure who off the top of my head. C - Adley has this spot, though if we are going to continue to keep his load light, we need a GOOD backup.  And after Adleys struggles the 2nd half of the season, I'm even more concerned about the quality of the backup than I was before this year started.  I'm just not sure how many GOOD backups exist, and any of the really good catchers are going to want to start more than they would here.  I'm not sure Basallo is ready for MLB time, and after the struggles with Mayo and Holiday, we surely can't count on him even if he is on the mlb roster.  McCann could come back...I don't love that idea, but I could see it happening. OF - We start with Mullins, Cowser and Kjerstad, don't try to resign Santander unless he take the QO.  I'd LOVE to see us bring in someone good here (Soto would rock, but clearly isn't going to happen) maybe Pederson or Hernandez or something.  Spend a bit of money here and get someone who has a decent bat. So upgrade 1st base with a non-platoon player and bring in a good vet in the OF.  Say goodbye to the Ryans and Santander. Pitching - I'd love to sign a #1 like Burnes or Snell, but I think they get more years and money than we are willing to go.  I can see us being in on a Max Fried or Jack Flahertyt.  Also possible to see some of the lesser guys, the Andrew Heaneys of the world. Bullpen - I expect to see a few journeyman/low level signings.  With the controllable players we traded for this year and what is returning I don't see us signing anyone big for the bullpen.  
    • I think it’s pretty natural for kids to take special notice of the guys with speed who make exciting plays like steals and triples and defensive “web gems.” Seems like the kids now are higher on guys like Mateo and Mullins than the grownups, and I think that was the case with Brian Roberts back in the day too. As for clutch, in going through some of the clutch numbers, one guy who stood out as a possible fit for us is Alex Bregman. He has a career 144 wRC+ with runners on base and a .294 BA with RISP — I tend to care a little more about BA when a hit scores a run. His postseason heroics are also pretty well-known. Not sure what you’d have to pay him, and I’m pretty sure signing him would necessitate the Holliday-to-CF move. But if they’re not willing to play in the Soto sandbox financially, Bregman would be a veteran guy with championship pedigree and (importantly) ties to Mike/Sig that could put him near the top of their list. 
  • Popular Contributors