Guys I'm eyeballing for the 2nd pick:

I like Robbie Shields SS out of Florida Southern who is hitting .350/.451/.522 with five home runs and a 30-31 BB/K ratio and nine steals in 52 games. I also like Sacramento State's Tim Wheeler who is hitting .402 to go with a .507 on-base percentage and an .810 slugging percentage.

In Round 3 I like Clemson's Ben Paulson who is Clemson 1B Ben Paulsen, who is hitting .373/.433/.637 with 10 homers and 15 doubles in 51 games this season.

These would be some nice additions for a system lacking in top bats.

Paulsen and Shields are both interesting picks at 2:5. I wonder if someone won't reach a bit and take Paulsen in the late 1st?

I think the second is a little high for Morris, but I can see arguments for it.

I think it's way too high for Towne, considering he doesn't really project very well in the IF. I think you have to take into account the Div-II competition, as well. He's an interesting bat to look at, but I'm not sure I'd spend 2:5 on a bat facing inconsistent competition who isn't a bet to provide defensive value, even at 1B. Good guy to keep an eye on later, though.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think it's a bit early too, but I have a feeling someone is going to take a shot on him later in the 2nd the way he has been mashing the ball lately. Dykstra went at the end of the 1st last year, and he's not much different aside from the competition. I agree you can knock him down a peg because of the D-2 thing, but he's got some big time bat potential.

Morris isn't anything spectacular stuff-wise, but he's a gamer, and he finds a way to win, a very smart pitcher.

I have some other guys I'm watching too, but these are my crushes of the week. :)

Archived